Old 11-01-2004, 06:15 PM   #1  

Default My amazing walk

I just had to share what happened to me on my walk today. I walk around my neighborhood for my exercise. One lap around= approx. 1.5 miles so I go around twice. It's really nice because if you go one way its easy because it's mostly downhill. If you go the other way it's really hard because it's mostly uphill. So I've already go my first fitness challenge set out for me which is to be able to do the uphill in the same amount of time as I do the downhill.

Anyway there are always challenges on my walk because since it is a neighborhood, I'm constantly having to dodge kids, cars, dogs, dog poop . Today I had to dodge a smoker. No offense to those that smoke but...bleech. It was like he came out of no where. One minute I'm grooving to my mp3 and then next I smell smoke and see this guy in front of me walking and SMOKING.

I'm actually allergic to smoke. It gets very difficult to breath when I smell it. He was walking the same pace as me so I either had to slow down or pick up speed and pass him. So what I start to do is slow down thinking that if I put enough distance between us then I won't be bothered by it. But then this little voice inside says 'well instead of doing that why don't you just jog a little and pass him.' Of course I immediately disagree because first off with the amount I weigh I didn't think I could run and second I really didn't feel like getting two black eyes But something inside me to just try it.

And I did it! I speed up my walking and finally just broke out in this little trot and passed him and when I got far enough ahead I went back to walking. I did it. I just can't believe I did that. Even though my shins starting hurting, I did not stop walking. I completed my second lap, albeit a little slower, but I still managed to finish within a minute of my normal time.

I'm am so psyched right now. I really needed something to perk me up. I've been kind of in the gloom these last few days because I slipped up pretty bad on my diet. But I was determined to get back on track today. And God gave me the little help today to get back my previous enthusiasm. It's such a small thing but it made a big difference because I just proved to myself that I am stronger than I think and if I just put my mind to it and have faith in God that I can overcome anything.

I also have to thank God for bringing me to this site because you ladies are truly an inspiration as examples that it can be done. I can lose the weight.

Happy Dance
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #2  
Jennifer

Congratulations - that's a really great story! The great thing is, positive events like this really seem to build on each other, at least for me (what's that phrase - nothing succeeds like success?) I think your mindset is perfect: pushing yourself to do a little more than you did last time.

You're on your way!!!! Keep up the great work & keep posting your successes (I've been in a bit of a funk myself, so I love reading them!).

Jen
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Good job! AS you go on, you'll find that you're surprising yourself more and more, fitness wise. It's exciting!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

that is awesome. I love to jog every now and then but I find myself not wanting to do it often.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #5  

Ain't it great? I did my first jog interval several weeks ago and now I do a few during most walks. I'm completely amazed that I can -- I know exactly how you feel.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

That's really Great!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I have been really pushing myself on the eliptical. Just a few weeks ago, I could only do 7 minutes, now I'm doing 20 - 25!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #7  
beautiful

this is really great progress you guys! but i'm still asking myself ... walking and smoking? wasn't he kinda defeating the purpose? LOL
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:08 PM   #8  

jkfla- Maybe he thought they were cancelling each other out LOL

I will be MIA for a couple of days because I am elder sitting (?) with my Grandfather and he's not doing too good. But I just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks so much for all of your support.
TTFN
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote