Old 09-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Single moms supporting each other

I am a single mother who is supporting my son physically, emotionally, and financially alone. I am looking for a group to support each other with weight loss, and any other issues.

I am a 38 yr old loney women raising my athletic son who is involved with many activites. I currently work as an Office Manager, I work in an office and at home. I am also looking for a position in a local school as an Adjustment Counselor, so that I will have the same hours, days, and vacations as my son. It is not easy being a single parent. There is not alot of time for myself, to exercise and the stress sometimes leads me to overeat and money sometimes leads me to purchasing not the best food choices.

I have over 100 pounds to lose and I love the support I get from this website and was thinking about other single mothers and the issues that seem to arise with trying to stay focused on weight loss, exercise, and stress.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Merrick... I am not a single parent.. but I am a parent. How do you do it?! How old is your son? Sounds like you have a plan and that you are pretty organized. Keep here.. I'm not sure how many of us are single moms - but you will not find a more supportive group of men and woman anywhere. I've been coming here for a couple of years - weight loss or no weight loss - I wouldn't trade them.

All the best...

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #3  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Hey ladies!

I am also a single mom with 2 kids. My son is 12 and my daughter is 6. I own my own business and between that and the kids, I have no life! My typical day starts at 5:30 up and walking the dogs till 6:30. Then its' rush, rush, rush! Get the kids up, feed them, make the lunches, run the laundry, make the beds, take a shower and get ready for work, out the door at 7:30 and drop the kids at school. He's about 10 minutes away, her school is about 15 minutes from there. Then to work I go! I teach till 12, then office work till 3, teach again till 6 and then pick the kids up.
Walk the dogs, dinner on the table by 7, baths, homework, family time and bed by 9 for the kids. Then I finish the office work I didn't get to, more laundry, clean the kitchen, housework . . . Bed by 11. Then do it all over again. On the off chance that I got all the office work done in the office, I get to come on this board and chat with you!

SIGH maybe losing another 80 pounds will bring my RICH prince charming around? Then I might have time to at least read a book or wow, get this, go to the bathroom! LOL!

Single moms rule! We can do it. I have no doubt.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #4  

Talking Single Moms can do it

Good Morning Moms:

It is so nice to meet all of you.

Seashell you have one of those crazy schedules. How do you find the time to lose weight, exercise, and deal with stress??

Jkfla how do you take care of yourself? I am having a hard time balancing time for me and momtime.

charbar you may not be a single mom, but a mom is a mom. And I do agree with you that this website is wonderful. I have gotten alot of great ideas from different members. I started this thread to get more specific ideas, recommendations. I Love this site and everyone has been wonderful, loving, caring and extremely supportive

I look forward to hearing from you all, what programs you are following, how you follow, what you do for exercise, and anything else you would like to know about me or share about yourself.

Please have a wonder day.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome. I'm not a single mom but Jeff and I work different schedules so my schedule is similar to Shelley's. I have an almost 10 year old step son (who's currently staying with MIL until she goes back to work), a 20 month old daughter and 7 month old son.
I get up between 6 and 7, depending on if I've had my shower the night before. I get showered, diaper bag packed and sippy cup filled. Then I get up 7 month old, change his diaper and get him dressed. He just dropped his first morning bottle so that is saving me 20 minutes in the morning. Once he's dressed he goes into the bed with Daddy while I get Lilly up. It's off to the potty for her (we are potty training) and dressed and into bed with Daddy. (He gets home after they go to bed so this is their few minutes of bonding time). I grab my breakfast and lunch and load and start the vehicle. After buckling the kids in, I'm off on the 35 minute commute. Drop off the kids at daycare and head to work. I have a desk job. I was walking for 30 minutes on my lunch break to get in my exercise but it got too hot. Now that it's getting cooler I will be resuming them next week.
I try to eat my packed lunch but I struggle with wanting fast food. I get off work at 5, pick up the kids from day care, drive the 35 minutes home. If it's decent outside, I load them into the double stroller and we walk the dirt road beside the house. I get home cook a quick dinner and feed William. Get Lilly fed, bathe both kids and get them in bed around 8 p.m. That's usually when I've been eating, the Jeff comes home and we catch up on each other's day and then hit the bed.
I have to say that I've really been struggling lately with trying to get that walk in right after we get home. the past couple of days it has been beautiful weather but just so darn windy. Both kids have allergies and/or colds and I didn't want to take them out in it. I have a stepper but it kills my knees. I have a trampoline but I have to wait until Jeff comes home to go outside and by then I'm too tired. I'm hoping with picking back up my lunch walks it will help me. I still want to walk in the evenings because the kids love to go in the stroller.

I commend you and all the single moms out there. Especially for trying to find the time to also take care of you in the process.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I'm not a single mom but I've felt like it a good deal over the past 3 years since my son was born. My husband has not been there at all to help with our son even though he swore upside down and sideways that he would do it all. He couldn't cope with the reality, sleepless nights, digustingly dirty diapers, endless crying, mess all over...just in the past few weeks he has started being at home with our son only because he has to as I've started a new job and work some evenings now. In some ways I think being a married single mom is worse than being a single, single mom. You know you are doing this alone, I have someone here who professes to love our child but doesn't lift a finger to help raise him and doesn't seem to realize that he is missing out on precious moments that are never going to come around again.

Anyway I digress. You single moms are amazing, I got tired just reading some of those schedules! Best wishes and take care.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #7  

Jen I know what you mean, I was a married single mom for 5 years, I was fortunate enough to be home full time for a couple of those years. Now I usually work two jobs, due to no financial support. I agree it was really, really stressful being a married single mom. I kept yearning for support and wanted him to be a big part of our son's life. Didn't happen, I agree, his loss. Well every couple ofyears my ex tries to come back into my son's life only to leave again. This time, I said no. It is too destructive. My dreams and yearning for my son to have is father are gone, now I wish, pray and dream for a wonderful step father for my son. My ex has too many problems and drags my son down with him, hurting him. Making me want to physically hurt my ex. But would never do that, it would hurt my son too much. Being a single mother has it's stresses, physically, fianacially, and emotionally. But being married single parent, adds more psychological to the mix.

Hang in there, we are all great moms, because we are there.... everyday, everynight.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm not a single mom either, or even a mom, but I just wanted to drop in and tell you ladies that I've been keeping up with this thread and think you are all phenomenal women. Best of luck to you all, you deserve the biggest props in the world.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #9  

Dana thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #10  

hello everyone. I am a single mum from the uk. Brought up my daughter alone since she was 6 weeks old. That's when I started putting on weight, feeling lonely, staying in by myself, eating felt good. It's been tough by myself to start with I barely had money for food so when any _ and I mean any_ food was offered to me I ate it as I really didn't know where the next meal was coming from. and in the UK crap food is cheap! I nearly lost my house several times could barely afford heating and nappies. I went back to work when she was 18 months as my mother could look after her (how great was that), I made the decision then that if I had to be away from my baby I wanted to be paid well. Fast forward to 2004 ,,,,,,, my baby was 13 in July this year, I have built up my own business, I was able to help my mother out in buying a bungalow and this year my daughter started at a fantastic private school in amazing grounds. I still am overweight but now - just from this summer I decided that now was the time to concentrate on me that I didn't need to hang to this extra weight - I don't have to worry about buying the next meal. I;ve lost 30 plus pounds since 1st June and although had a hiccup today - fish and chips supper - and look forward to losing more.
What I want to say to you single mum's is no matter how tough it is life gets easier my daughter was my motivation for success but now I know she's ok I need to think about me a little more.Take time out for me - that;s what I did this summer and it really helped. Good luck everyone>Take care,
dietdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #11  

Default Excellent......

Unreal, bravo to you. That is so huge, so wonderful, I am so proud of you. That is so wondderful. You must have felt so awesome. OHHHHH that is so awesome. How great of your mom to respond that way, even to ask if she gets in the way, that she cares enough to try......

I am so happy for you. I do know exactly what you mean about the control, but not really. That is my life. I am the same way.

Keep up the good work......
Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #12  
Live for the Moment!

I'm not a mom either but was just reading through this thread! Great job for you guys keeping up the hard work! You're all doing splendid... just splendid!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:08 AM   #13  

Maybe your body needs those points, you may not feel like your doing alot of exercise, but you are. 4 miles on a bike is alot. Great job. what about allowing yourself to eat your points for that day, without eating any flex points. Save some of your flex points for day or one meal (not all of the points). Actually, these are just ideas. I just worry that if you feel deprived, then you may not want to stick with it. Good luck with figuring out what works with you. As for me, well I walked 2.41 miles yesterday. My eating was good, as for today, my truck is in the shop for oil change and tire rotation. I have to walk 3 miles to go get it, so I am trying to decide hwo much I will walk tonight at football practice, part of me was thinking, I already did my walking, and another part of me is thinking of getting extra miles for the week. We'll see. I am not sure if I told you but I will not be able to log in from Friday till Monday. We are going away to Block Island for the long weekend. I can't wait. I plan on doing alot of walking there. Well I'm off to get back to work. Have a great day and keep up the great job. You are doing so good, I am so happy for you.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #14  

Hey Shelly, great picture. Very nice.
Well, my trip was wonderful. But I got on the scale, which I haven't in a really long time, because my scale gets crazy with warm weather and will not give you the right weight. Anyway I got on this morning and I was up 7 lbs. I was so sad. I really need to get focused. I keep gettig bigger and bigger. I feel like I am going to explode. I felt I did really well on my trip. We walked alot. And I eat pretty good. I didn't deprive myself, but I ate much smaller portions. I made sure I did not eat it all, I left something at almost everymeal.
How have you been? Is everyone well? Is your mom still working out with you???? I hope so. Well, I have to get back to work. I will check back later.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #15  

so what kind of NEW friend is he?????