3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Workout Music (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/44729-workout-music.html)

FindingJackie 08-07-2004 10:34 PM

Workout Music

As of tomorrow, I start going to the gym.

I'm curious if any of you listen to music and if so, what? I want to download some songs and make me a few workout CDs.

Any suggestions?

nelie 08-07-2004 10:53 PM

I usually like energetic music, one of my favorite cd's is an old one ;) licensed to ill by the beastie boys.

djs06 08-08-2004 12:02 AM

I really like The Cure and Depeche Mode for working out. I also listen to a bunch of pop-radioish music that I wouldn't normally admit to. hehe. but IMO you can never go wrong with the 80s! I looked up a bunch of the one hit wonders and "new wave" songs on amazon and downloaded a bunch. :)

missaprylj 08-08-2004 02:19 AM

Ohh.... so many!

50 Cent - In Da Club
Pink - Respect, Get the Part Started
Kelis - Milkshake
The Beatles
Songs from Chicago and Moulin Rouge
Cher!!

I really like "pop" music for working out. Something with a good beat. I'm so eclectic... :lol:

tolose85 08-08-2004 10:24 AM

This is going to sound totally BIZARRE-- I don't do it but I've heard great things from people who do... Get a CD of Marching band music that's pretty fast... So when you're working out your mind tries to keep you in pace with the music... I just may try that!

What I listen to... I love listening to the beastie boys for some reason.. that music totally pumps me up and I have the tendancy to add some extra steps in and shake my "thang" more when that's on.. Also I have an awesome 70's rock cd that really gets me goin...

Has anyone tried that marching band stuff?? I know it sounds so strange doesn't it?

Ivanna B. Skinny 08-08-2004 10:53 AM

Well, Gretchen, I've never used a marching band tape, but I was in the Marching Band in school for 6 years...Yes, I am a BIG band dork...and yes, it IS very motovational. Especially when you're marching, carrying an instrument, playing you heart out on that instrument, or doing drill with a 15 pound flag pole, or conducting the whole spectacle! I started marching in 6th grade, playing a clarinet. My sophmore year of highschool, I marched with a trumpet, junior year I was in colorguard (flags), and finally my senior year, I was Field Commander/Drum Major! Then, Freshman year of college, I was back down to a lowley clarinet playing "Greeny". My body was SOOO in shape back then, and now that I'm thinking about it, I remember thinking about how fat I was! Yeah right! My goal NOW, is to be heavier than I was then!?!?! Oh, well. I would recommend marching band music...very good to work out with! I will repeat...I am a BIG band dork!!!

tolose85 08-08-2004 11:05 AM

Amy Jo- I was a big band dork back in Jr- High! I played the flute and piccalo. I only stuck with it until 8th grade until boys became my main point of interest! ha.

I am musically inclined... Flute, Piccalo, Piano, Pipe Organ-- although I haven't played any of them in years! I love singing too! I sing at weddings so if anyone needs someone..... ha ha

Don't you just love marching band music though? I love band cadence.. I used to feel so "cool".. Man we are dorks aren't we! ha ha

teapotdynamo 08-08-2004 11:23 AM

In general, I agree with the 80s tunes! Something about the speed of them really suits. Here are some of my favorites, which seem to be the perfect rate for the elliptical:

Cars - Gary Numan
Kanye West - The New Workout Plan
Beastie Boys - Anything from Paul's Boutique (Shake Your Rump is great!) or Licenced to Ill
The Go-Go's - We Got the Beat
A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?
Modest Mouse - most all of their songs are good!
New Order - Perfect Kiss, Bizarre Love Triangle, and Temptation (3 favorites)
Luscious Jackson - anything!
Michael Jackson - Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
Missy Elliott - One Minute Man

Hope this helps!

Jennelle 08-08-2004 11:46 AM

Ooohhh! Band dorks unite! :lol: I was one, too. I played the trombone in 5th grade, then changed to clarinet in 6th. I stuck with that all through high school and added alto sax for two years (in jazz band) and bari sax for two (in jazz band). I didn't go to college straight out of high school, but when I started my junior year at Ole Miss, I joined the marching band for a semester. OMG, I had forgotten how hard it was! Of course that, coupled with the fact that I was on average 12 years older than anyone else in the band, made for an interesting band camp week! I firmly believe that band was one of the main reasons I feel so tied to my alma mater.

Okay, enough from me! :)

Br00klyn 08-08-2004 12:16 PM

As for me.. I like anything High Energy for working out! I recommend some hard-house, or Nu-Nrg music... Right now, I don't really have a choice as I listen to whatever they're playing at the gym, however I'll be getting an Mp3 player for my bday in November and the following will definetly be on my track list:

You've got the Love - The Source ft. Candy Station ( i think)
Anything from the Tidy Girls (Anne Savage or Lisa Lashes)
Sarah Mclachlan Remixed - Full CD

Ivanna B. Skinny 08-08-2004 01:06 PM

oooooohhhh, the drum cadence! I can still hear it in my head! :dizzy:

FindingJackie 08-08-2004 05:06 PM

Beastie Boys! :lol:

I haven't thought about them in years, although when I was in High School I wore out their tapes. I guess I'm dating myself. Tapes were high tech back when I was high school! :D

Thanks for the suggestions..