Diet Tip of the Day (DTD) thread

• I know I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone would mind if I tried keeping up a Diet Tip of the Day thread. I don't know how consistent I'd be with it, but my hope is that if I were to be responsible for something diet related, it would help me stick with my own plan.

I have The World's Best-Kept Diet Secrets book written by Diane Irons. There are some really interesting little tips in there. I thought I could post one or so a day and we could critique them together. If any of us have ever tried the particular tip we could tell how well it worked or didn't work for us and so on, so on.

What do you think? I'll go ahead and post one now. If you like the idea of doing it daily then I'll keep it up. If not, no biggy and I'll quit.

Ok, here's the first one:

-----------------------

Diet Tip of the Day for August 1, 2004

The World's Best-Kept Diet Secrets by Diane Irons
    Chapter Three: Tricks and Tools

Keeping Out of the Frig
    How can you keep from opening the refrigerator the average of 22 times a day?

1. Stay hydrated by drinking water and low calorie beverages each hour. What we often think is hunger is somtimes thirst.

2. Take a walk (around the block, in the yard, etc.) for 15 minutes. Sometimes it's just boredom or an emotional need you're feeling.

3. Lie down for a few minutes. You may be tired and need a few minutes to restore your energy.
  • Great idea, Kim, and thanks for starting this thread!

I like each of the above suggestions -- the water thing works for me all day, every day. I drink on average a gallon of water a day, and it keeps me feeling full and provides an effective distraction at work. Also, if I'm tempted in the lunchroom by bagels and cream cheese, chips or a plate of brownies, I'll tell myself to drink 44 oz. of water, and then see if I still want to indulge after that. It's a little psychological trick I sometimes need to play on myself -- it works when I don't quite feel as strong as I normally do. It never fails that after the 44 oz. (usually well before) I have passed through the weak moment, and feel reinforced, proud of myself........and FULL!
  • I want one of those sound effect things that makes a sound like a pig or a cow whenever the fridge door is open!
  • Just do what I do to keep out of the fridge, don't keep anything IN it! I haven't had a chance to go grocery shopping for a while, heh. I think I might have some blueberries from BEFORE my vacation, which ended 3 weeks ago ;P
  • Hey Kim! Welcome! I think it's a really great idea to post one a day- and so nice of you! as for today's, it's some good advice. I also find that drinking tea or brushing my teeth (or sometimes both!) help me from boredom eating.
  • Dana,

Brushing your teeth is one of the tips listed later in the book. That's one that helps me too.
  • Great idea!! Thanks a lot.
  • Hey Kim-
    This is a great idea! I need to re-energize my efforts right about now so this is PERFECT timing... for me anyway!
  • Great Idea Kim! Im back on plan starting today, so I need all the help I can get! I have been in hiding for a couple of weeks, so I havnt been able to welcome you to our group, but believe me, you are most welcome to join us!
  • Great Idea! Look forward to checkin' in on this tip daily! Thanks!