3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   abs (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/43849-abs.html)

djs06 07-21-2004 11:35 AM

abs

Are your abs really strong enough to work out every day?
I noticed yesterday that my limbs (haha) are looking much better, I've been religious about weight training.. but my abs are the same as they always were. I've read that it's safe to work them every day, but I've also read that they're just like any other muscle group and should be done every other day.

Anyone know? Also, does anyone know any good exercises for them, becuase crunches are so borrrring..

lessofsarahtolove 07-21-2004 11:47 AM

They say that crunches are the most effective. And I've also heard consistently that it's just fine to work them every day. Sad but true.

Jennelle 07-21-2004 01:27 PM

Do what feels right for you. If you work them and they're really sore the next day, let them rest a day. Eventually, you can work up to every day.

tolose85 07-21-2004 04:24 PM

I am just thrilled to be able to feel mine now!!!

lessofsarahtolove 07-21-2004 05:01 PM

Oh, I can feel mine, too.......very soft and smooshy! Downy soft! ;)

barbygirl43 07-21-2004 05:09 PM

LOL Sarah you are too funny.

Mine are just as soft and smooshy of course I can start to feel more muscles in there. I just be glad when I get rid of the hanging down part of it. blek!!!

Goddess Jessica 07-21-2004 08:14 PM

Dana,

There are some EXCELLENT abs exercises out there.
I really prefer one that don't make me feel like I'm working my abs - distracting exercises I could call them.

Exercise Ball - most excellent for all your core muscles but really great for abs. I don't feel like I'm straining my neck or back when I do crunches on the ball. There are other ball exercises that are unusual, so you're concentrating more on how to do the darn thing than the pain of the abs.

Medicine Ball - throwing it up and catching it (while laying on your back). Great ab workout.

Old fashion Mat Exercises:
Scissor Kick http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...e=Scissor+Kick
Bicycle http://exercise.about.com/b/a/027829.htm

Br00klyn 07-22-2004 12:40 AM

Dana,

There's so many different exercises that I've tried for abs...

I tend to agree with Jessica, I recently did the spa-ball class with both the exercise and the medicine ball and it totally worked my abs but was not too painful at the time.. so it wasn't as "tough" as crunches!

Jessica - Thanks for those links... Now I've got a couple things to try at home! :)

Goddess Jessica 07-22-2004 02:44 AM

Ooo - I thought of another one while I was stretch out my feet tonight.

Lay on your back and use your feet to trace the letters of the alphabet in the air about 6-12inches above the ground. You'll be so busy concentrating on the letters that you forget this is a great abs workout!

djs06 07-22-2004 11:33 AM

Jessica, thanks for the links and the great ideas! And thank you everyone else. I'm going to push myself to work my abs every time I exercise. They used to be the first part of me to lose, but no more! :lol:

lessofsarahtolove 07-22-2004 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djs06
They used to be the first part of me to lose, but no more! :lol:

I've heard a few times that the first place you lose is the last place you put it on, and the last place you lose is the first place you put it on. This is my first time on a weight loss plan, as I never seriously tried before -- but this has been my experience as well thus far. If I continue in this vein, then my stomach will be the last to go. Is this loss pattern true for you guys, as well?

Jennelle 07-22-2004 02:52 PM

Oh, yeah, Sarah...it's definitely been my experience! :lol: I lose boobage first, then thighs, then behind, then (maybe) my hips and belly. Of course, the belly thing might be a side effect of bearing three children.

nelie 07-22-2004 05:35 PM

I try to do ab exercises throughout the day as well as doing them every other day at the gym. Usually what I do at home/work is sit at the edge of the chair then do mini crunches by leaning back and forward. I think I am going to try that medicine ball thing, I never knew you could do that.

Also, I think my body is losing fat in a strange way, my butt is shrinking and my stomach is as well but also my boobs are growing. I want my stomach gone as that is where most of my fat storage is at. I could tell though that my butt was shrinking when I had to move my car seat up because I had lost some natural cushioning.

djs06 07-22-2004 08:55 PM

sarah, I never thought about it but I always lose and gain in my thighs first, and butt. I never realized that correlation, though. hm.

SuchAPrettyFace 07-23-2004 02:47 AM

I opened this thread b/c it's my initials. :p

And ohhhh the irony that my initials are also my worst body part is not lost on me. Oh no. ;)

What I do is this:

Lay on back, legs extended in the air. Arms up over chest, hands bent in. I do 15 of those, S-L-O-W-L-Y.

I do another 15 with my knees bent & my ankles crossed--those are HARD!!!