Old 07-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #31  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Tammy,

I just wanted to say well done on giving up smoking - and by doing the whole thing so publicly! I gave up smoking 8 months ago and it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I was a very heavy smoker but I managed to quit on my first attempt - with the help of nicotine patches and prayer! If you aren't already using them, I'd really recommend patches - they really helped me. I also chewed gum, even though I hate the stuff, but it seemed to help.

I was also dieting at the same time as quitting - I did end up putting on about 10lb, not because I was eating to replace cigarettes, but because cigarettes are an appetite suppressant, so when I quit I felt alot more hungry. Also smoking increases your metabolism, so giving up can slow it down a bit - the best thing to do is exercise to keep it up. Anyway, even if you do put on a few pounds, giving up smoking is so much more important at the moment - it is SO important and worthwhile, everything else can wait!

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth - more addictive than heroin, so go easy on yourself - take one day at a time, one hour at a time if necessary and soon it will get easier.

Stay strong!

Love Amanda xx
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #32  
Live for the Moment!

Tammy - Well done!

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking, and on getting through the first few days!

I will definetly be looking to you for inspiration and guidance over the next couple months ( I plan on quitting too), as I've quit countless times and restarted. Kind of like the yo-yo dieting, only its been yo-yo smoking!

Anyways, Tammy again - congrats and YOU CAN DO THIS!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #33  

Well, I made it to day 5!! Yesterday was a little hard because I went out for 4th of July stuff. I did not smoke, but I munched alot. I'm not sure if I am going to weigh this week or not. I know if I have gained then that will cause me stress and then I will want to smoke. I might just wait til next week when the cravings to smoke have eased up a bit.

Amanda, so true that cigarettes are an appetite supressant. I am keeping up my exercise plan. I have exercised everyday, minus one day, since I have quit. The exercise makes the cravings a bit easier. Before I was such a goof. I'd come home from exercising and want a cigarette!!

Celina, to funny about yo-yo smoking. That's me. I figured that since I was losing weight to get healthy it was a little hypocritical of me to keep smoking if I was trying to get healthy.

I am going to try not to snack as much today and see how that goes. You all have a great day!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #34  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Tammy, you're doing so great!

Tammy, I've been in a cabin in West Virginia for the last few days, so I've been absent here....but as soon as I signed on tonight, this was the very first thread I came to.....I'm so excited to hear your good news! 5 DAYS!! I'm really proud of you, and am so happy for you.

I think maintaining your weight during the first week of quitting smoking is an absolutely amazing accomplishment! Just let yourself get through this first week without loading on the additional pressure of losing weight. Just get through this first week, I think, and continue to take steps to keep the eating in check, but don't stress yourself too much -- first things first!

You're doing so great, Tammygirl, and I couldn't be prouder of you!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #35  
Live for the Moment!

Tammy - Yeah the "yoyo smoking" ties right in with the "yoyo" dieting and both have to stop... However, I keep telling myself that once I lose some weight and start getting in better shape.. It will be easier for me to quit cuz I'll want to be healthy all around..
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:26 AM   #36  

Hi Tammy

Day 5 - you are doing great, girl. Hope you do OK on the less snacking routine, but I agree with Sarah.....one thing at a time....give yourself a break and don't worry too much about your weight this first week.....quitting smoking is a HUGE thing.....
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #37  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Great job getting this far Tammy. You can do it. I know others on here struggle with more than food addiction and you are an inspiration to be taking care of two addictions at once. Keep up the good work. They say if you can do something for three weeks it will most likely become habit. So hang in there, week one is almost done.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #38  

This morning I woke up not craving a cigarette first thing. That was a huge deal for me. I've decided I won't weigh this week. Quitting smoking and TOM can not be good on the scale. I'm doing way better at not grabbing for the sweets when I am craving a smoke. I feel a bit less grouchy today also. It's getting easier each day. I leave on July 13th for vacation. I think that the cravings are going to be tolerable by then, and I will be able to handle the flight with the kids ok. It made me proud when my daughter tells me yesterday, "I'm so glad you quit smoking mommy so you won't die or have black lung". Things like that make this so worth it!! I think for the most part that I have my eating habits back on track. I thought that quitting would throw me off a bit longer, but it does not seem that is going to be the case this time. I really think that exercise is key. Ok, this might sound gross but those of you who are smokers and have quit can relate. I've not started coughing up all that black stuff from my lungs yet. I am hoping that comes soon cause that is pretty disgusting and I would like to get it over with. I always get cold like symptoms when I quit and expel tons of gross junk from my lungs. Does this happen to everyone when they quit? Or, is that just me?

Thanks you all for keeping me in check. It helps so, so much!! Having this much support has made this so much easier for me. I've not had this much support in the past when I quit and it certainly makes a HUGE difference. Thank you guys so much!!

Edit:typoes
Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #39  

Hi Tammy

What can I say? You are doing soooooo well. I think that's a mighty sensible decision not to weigh yourself this week - you just hang on in there with the exercise, and beating off those cravings. So glad it is beginning to get easier - I promise you it does....you will soon be having those days when you don't even think about a cigarette.

Black stuff? Nope, didn't get that.....what I did find was that exercising/breathing was a lot easier once I had quit, and also my throat/lungs just felt a lot cleaner. Nowadays, on the odd occasion when I hang out with smokers/in a smoky pub, the next day I feel like I have a hangover (despite the fact I rarely drink alcohol).....

You are doing a great job, and you just have to keep going!
Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #40  

Height: 5' 7"

Yeah, Tammy!

Every day is a day closer to not noticing that you don't smoke any more!
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Tammy, I'm really impressed. You are doing so well!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:30 PM   #42  

Still smoke free. I did terrible yesterday at controlling my cravings for sweets. I crave them normally but since I have quit smoking when I go to grab something to calm a cigarette craving I always grab something sweet. I've decided that when that urge is really bad I am going to chug down a big glass of water. I have to get the carb cravings under control. I know it may take a few more days, but I know I can kick the carbs to the curb too. My husband was greatly relieved that I did not yell at him over the phone yesterday. The day before I had really tore into him quite badly. I am so glad he is very understanding. My walking buddy did not know I smoked and yesterday I fessed up to her that I had been smoking and had quit. I felt so ashamed, but after I told her I was not anymore. I came to find out that her husband used to smoke and dips sometimes now. I did not know that before. I guess as a smoker I always thought people were judging me. The same holds true for me being overweight.

My goal today is to keep the carbs to a minimum. To the normal amount that I usually would take in daily. I don't want to gain control over one thing and lose it with another. I'm going to work really hard today. You all have a wonderful day!!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #43  
Abby's Mommy

Tammy, I am SOOO proud of you! 6 days is MAJOR! I never had any black stuff, but like Claire said, exercise got TONS easier! We're here if you need us. Keep up the GREAT work!!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #44  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations Tammy!!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:37 AM   #45  

Hi Tammy

6 days down, and you are kicking that habit, babe! You are a star!!! Hmmm. Carb cravings - I know that one, too! You're a brave and strong woman for tackling the two at once......I've found that if I stick to low-glycaemic index carbs (porridge oats, sweet potatoes, rye, etc), and have lots of healthy snacking things to hand (fruit, chopped up veggies, yogurt) I do OK. My current favourite snack is plum cherry tomatoes - just like eating sweets......

Now, speaking of sweet and treats, how you doing on planning that shopping trip???? Could be a great distraction from the ciggies and carbs.....

Hang on in there.....and as to feeling judged for smoking/being large. Hmmm. I don't have a lot of time for people who make those kinds of foolish judgements!