3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Will You See "Super Size Me" ? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/41060-will-you-see-super-size-me.html)

howie6267 04-18-2005 05:34 PM

I do go once a week and get an egg mcmuffin. I don't blame fast food for my weight problem though. I think the right thing to do if you are in that type of business would be to offer some healthy choices but I don't think it should be mandatory. I do think it should be mandatory for the nutritional information to be there. They have to have that info on the package when you buy it in the store. I think food service should have to do that also.

missaprylj 04-18-2005 06:11 PM

I saw this movie not too long ago.... I about threw up.

Thank God I don't crave/love fast food other than Chinese every now and again. It also helps that my town is so small we only really have like 5 fast food places. And.... they all *scare* me.

treefrogtoes 04-18-2005 06:17 PM

I saw the movie a few weeks ago. WOW! It was enlightening to say the least. I haven't gone to a fast food place since the first week in January of this year; it took me over a month to not crave it. Now if someone in my office brings that back to work, the smell alone makes me nauseous. I complete believe that there is addictive qualities in that food, even if it's just the trans-fats.

I agree with Howie that they should be mandated to provide the *nutritional* content at really every food place. If I'm going to eat anywhere now I try to see if the info is on the website before I go so I know what is "safe" for me to eat and stay within my plan.

SwimGirl 04-18-2005 07:57 PM

I saw this movie and thought it was great, it lacked in a few parts where I wanted more information. But it brings awareness to the fast food industry. Yes it's our choice to eat it, but when it's so easy in this WAY TOO busy world.. no wonder people turn to it. We can only hope this movie will cause 1 person to not feed that CRAP to their children. I had my first McDonald's meal when I was 12, and not again until I was in my late teen's.. it's definitely addictive. We went to Wendy's today, got a jr bacon cheeseburger, and that has to have sugar in it.. there is no way it tastes that good without it. Scary!!

-Aimee

howie6267 04-18-2005 09:51 PM

Not too bad it has 8 grams of sugar compared to 34 in a medium coke. I still say everything in moderation. However cheeseburgers are a big trigger food for me so I have decided I don't need them. I may have one sometime in the future but it will be at a sit down place not fast food. Fast food is what I always craved and would stop on the way home from work and stuff myself. Now I don't crave it at all. So I think I'll just leave it to the heavy users as the movie called them.

SuchAPrettyFace 04-19-2005 10:50 PM

I am very very proud of you for kicking cheeseburgers, Howie. :cheers: :)

I haven't seen the movie, not sure if I'm going to. I'm allergic to hydrogenated oil, so the only things I can really have there are the parfait, and the bacon ranch salad, no chicken.

howie6267 04-19-2005 11:28 PM

Thanks it really has not been all that hard. The last one I had made me feel all yuck inside. And all though I love the taste, with eating healthy they just don't agree anymore. I did have an attack last friday but was able to overcome.

jillybean720 04-20-2005 08:37 AM

I saw the movie, and the thing that stuck out most to me was the addiction. He actually said in the movie that after the first week or two (when he was getting sick from too much food), once he got used to eating it, it would actually make him happier. He would be down about something and eat the McDonalds food and feel better. Definitely and addictive quality...

howie6267 04-20-2005 11:40 AM

Yes I can relate to that. I think it is very much addictive.

dragonwoman64 04-30-2005 06:42 PM

I just rented this movie today. Lots I didn't know or didn't think about. Like the McD salads have as much calories as the Big Macs, whew. Never knew NYC had more McDs than any other place either. It seemed to me like a whacky concept and undertaking, but it made me aware of issues/data/statistics I might not have known or thought about otherwise.

One comment stood out to me, when a man was being interviewed (can't remember who it was) and he started talking about someone being harassed in public for smoking (it's bad for you, how can you do that, etc.). Then he said there was a heavy woman at the same table, but that people don't find it socially acceptable (yet) to harass people who are fat even though, in his mind, it was the same type of thing.

No, heavy people are never harassed in public. :devil:

I'm glad I saw it.

cathyxxx 05-10-2005 10:23 AM

I watched this over the weekend! I really think it is something everyone should watch. A lot of people are just not aware of what they are eating or what they are doing to themselves.

What was amazing to me was to watch this very healthy & fit guy change over the next 30 days! I could not believe the differences in him. How it got to where it was hard for him to climb the stairs to his apartment. The difference in his moods, everything! I would NEVER do what he did - I would NEVER do that to myself! but it was very interesting to watch him.

I don't know anyone that eats fast food 3 times a day, but I do know a lot of people that eat it once a day, and sometimes twice. They either don't know or care what they are doing to themselves.

I really thought it was worth watching.

be well,
Cathy

YP1 05-10-2005 03:41 PM

Hi, I'm new round here, just thought I'd chip in. I saw this the other week and found it really interesting. I have never really eaten fast food (don't ask me what did get me to this weight, I don't really know, but it wasn't McDonalds), and for me it's shocking to think that people do eat that stuff on such a regular basis.

It did reinforce my desire not to start eating it now though - I've got more than enough food vices to keep me going!

ggbun 05-10-2005 04:34 PM

Shouldn't we also be glad that someone is "outing" the fast food restaurants and what they are selling? If we "fat" people have to feel bad for our role in this, shouldn't restaurants who know what they are selling to people is unhealthy make it known what eating their products too often can do to a person's health? [I'll completely leave out the idea that they work towards making healthy food!] And let's face it, a lot of the people eating in places like McDonald's regularly are people who have little choice, they are too busy to cook and not rich enough to afford high quality, healthier options. The butcher in my neighbourhood makes amazing heat-n-serve style meals. Look at spending $$$ to feed the family that way! :mcd:

ggbun 05-10-2005 04:37 PM

Oh and yes, I saw the movie. I liked it a lot, although I felt nauseous watching it in more than one place. But I never eat in fast food places to begin with.

Br00klyn 05-12-2005 12:01 AM

I definetly agree that McDonald's has addictive attributes - 100%! It really disappoints me that there aren't more "fast" healthy options. Yes, I realize that most fast food places do have salads now and there is Subway, but realistically those are our only options. And, to be honest, the only fast food salads I've found nice and fresh are from Wendy's!

As for the movie, I haven't seen yet... but I'm thinking I should most definetly rent it soon and maybe it will get me out of this fast food rut i've been in!