Old 05-16-2004, 12:53 AM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Default Fighting the urge to binge.

I don't know what it is but the last 3 days I have really been fighting the urge to stuff myself. I have stayed on plan but it's been hard. Tonight we went to a partty and it was are treat night. So I went over my calories but was not a glutton. Afterwords I wanted to go and get burgers. I'm not even hungry. Kimberley stoped me but had I been alone I don't know if I would have. I'm going to continue fighting but it sure has been hard these past few days.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You can be strong. Look at how far you've come in just this little time back on track. You're only 2 pounds away from threeville. Do you really want that burger or to say you're no longer over 400 pounds? You're so close now. I hope you stayed strong and didn't give in.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Have you ever thought about what your triggers are for binges, Howie? Sometimes they're emotional (like certainn situations), sometimes they're physical (foods or being tired, etc.). It's taken me a while, but I've learned what sets me off and I'll try to avoid those things. The emotional component is a bit harder to deal with--situations occur that are beyond our control. It's helpful to have a game plan for those times. Well, that's what I've heard because I certainly haven't developed one--it's something I'm working on.

Just my two cents. . .

Hope today is a great day for you! Stay strong!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #4  

Sheila is right. You have to figure out the triggers for your binging. I am still working on that also. It is very hard and I can relate to how you feel. It's part of the battle that I think most of us have to work really hard on. Just know you are not alone. Try to stay strong. You are doing so well.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default a usefull hint

if you have the urge to binge drink a pint of iced water. they think bout 80% of the time we think we are hungry we are dehydrated. and 2 the coldness of the ice contracts the stomach and the water fills you up 2nd when the water warms up it expands keeping you feeling full for an hour or two tiding you over till your next meal. and 3rdly and lastly it also help ensure you are drinking the amount of water you should be.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

You see Super Size Me in the theaters. If that won't stop you from going to a burger joint, I don't know what will.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #7  
Born Loser

I have not given in to the cravings. I have been trying to find what my triggers are. I know one is when I have a rough day at work. Another is when I am just feeling blue. And yet another is when I am socializing and there is food out.

Thanks Si for the sugestion but my binging never really has to do with hunger it's more of a mind set.

I will have to see that movie Jessica. I don't see it listed in any theaters here but I will get it when it comes out on video.

Thanks everyone for you help and encouragement. I will make it. It's just been hard these past few days. Today seems a lot better. I just took my MIL home so I was alone coming back home and that is a big temptation for me. I even had 5 dollars in my wallet. I did not even think about stopping for a cheeseburger. Yay me!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for you, Howie!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Howie, the more you see that you can resist the urge, the more likely it is that you'll continue to do so. You're developing another muscle, sort of....as well as learning about a new Howie. It might sound super corny, but just think about yourself as another person, the person you want to be, as in, "Howie doesn't go to McDonald's; he's all about eating healthy!" or "Howie wouldn't eat that, because he's working so hard to lose fat and build muscle." Sometimes removing yourself from the mental equation can help to remove the emotion from the decision. And as you continue to develop new, healthier habits and responses, you'll see that YOU, HOWIE, are capable of maintaining control. You'll have the evidence that you're the Howie that you wanted to be.....that healthy guy who doesn't eat that crap.

And in the meantime, don't even drive by those places. Don't put yourself in harm's way. You can do it, Howie. You're doing it already!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #10  
Born Loser

I have not thought about it that way Sarah. That is a good idea to pull back and veiw it as a thrid party. I will give that a try. I do avoid driving home down fast food alley if I'm feeling like I want to stop.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Howie-- I have said before... It is mind over matter. Sarah is right on. Of course sometimes, its easier said than done but think about the end result of reaching you goals. That in itself is a great motivation. I think that if you have to have something, or are craving something, think about an alternative more healthy choice. Extra Lean Turkey burgers seasoned with beef flavoring, grilled on a George Foreman Grill piled high with veggies, fat free cheese and low carb whole wheat bread all for about 200 calories (give or take a few).. Doesn't that sound much better than a sloppy greasy fat slab off a cow between two pieces of starch equaling around 800 calories?? You gotta look at things this way. Pretty soon you won't even have to debate which one is the right choice.. Visualization of Healthy vs. Non That's what I call it! You can do it!!!! GO Howie GO GO GO GO!!!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:09 AM   #12  
Born Loser

Thanks Gretchen. Things have been much better yesterday and today. I am feeling really good about this. Kimberley and I have been talking about what has made us go off of our diets the past two years. It seems we have started around the same time and chuck it around the same time. It seems that vacation is a big factor. So this year we are going to stay on plan during that time and really watch it. We are both off to a good start. Kimberley has lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks and I have lost 16. So we are well on our way.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #13  

Howie, it sounds like you are doing fantastic on fighting the want to binge!I You are definately being strong and that is very, very commendable! Keep it up!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote