Kick Me

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am really going no where with this diet. It's been so cold in the morning that I cut the dog's walk in half. (on the weekends I take him for a long one when it's warmer during the day.)

But as far as what I put in my mouth - not good.

I really need some words of wisdom. I really need someone to kick my big a$$ !!!

Dana
  • KICK!! I'm sorry, I don't have any answers other than to say Hang in there Dana, it will get warmer

It was in the 40s for TWO conesecutive days here and I felt like a whole different person. I took a walk just for fun, then I walked to CVS (drug store) to pick up a few things, and when I went to the butcher shop (it's close, so I almost always walk there), I took the long way home! Even my kids were happier -- until cold windy weather returned yesterday ... it's been a COLD, LONG winter. I don't remember the cold weather ever bothering me as much as it did this year.

Just don't give up ... any time you aren't gaining weight you're doing well!
  • Me too (kick me) ~ I don't know what ails me. I wanted to start in January. I didn't do horrible, but didn't do great either. Then came February, half of that gone now and I still haven't really gotten down to business. This past week the scale went up instead of down. The valentines candy called to me and I answered. And to boot, as I was answering the call to the valentines candy, there were some of those dog gone cadbury eggs yelling at me too. Arrrgggg!!!! In trying not to feel totally horrible about myself, I am trying to remember that I just had a little, and didn't go crazy, and one thing I bought, I ate a little and took the rest to work and let others finish it off. So, I guess it wasn't as horrible as it could have been. Today is a new day to try again. I hit bumps in the road, but I am not giving up. Some day I will get there.

Thanks for listening.

Gayle
  • Come on ladies you can do it! Are the way of eating you choose too retrictive so you feel things are "forbidden"? If so try to make a day every 2 weeks that you can have anything you want at one meal. It really helped me get through alot of tough times that i wanted to eat dessert everynight to tell myself you cant have that today but next week if you want that you can have it then.
  • Alright Ladies, listen up!!! I know that you can do this!! I have seen you in action. The food isn't worth it. It's a vicious cycle. You eat the junk, you want more junk. We know that if you could just get away from the junk, then staying away is easier. So I challenge both of you to eat healthy and stay away from the junk for 2 days. That should give you the jump start you need.

And as far as exercise, Dana maybe the fact that cut the dog walk in half isn't your ideal, but girl, your moving every day and that counts!!! And I know as soon as the weather breaks, you do more. I am also having some trouble finding my ideal cardio plan.
  • Sandi is right, any movement is better than none. Anything and everything counts. Besides, I think that changing your cardio plan every now and then is a great idea. If you take it a little easier for a week or so, that's okay because your body needs a change of pace now and then. Kick it up a notch this week and you'll be feeling great and sleeping great!

This winter has bothered me MUCH more than usual too. I've heard a lot of people that are losing weight, or have lost weight, talk about how cold they are all the time. Not only are we losing our insulation, but our bodies aren't having to work as hard all the time by carrying around the extra weight, so I guess it makes sense that we're so much colder this year. It's a sign of what we're accomplishing!
  • You want a kick Dana, I will give you a kick! Kaboom!!! Dana, saying that it is too cold to go outside for exercise is a crappy excuse. Sorry, pardon me, but you wanted a kick right?! We used to go outside when we were little in colder weather than this and play for hours. Hundreds of thousands of people exercise regularly in the cold weather. We wouldn't have any winter sports otherwise. Yes it is cold out but that is a bonus as your body has to work harder to keep warm and it is going to burn more calories. If your only means of exercise is to go outside then just go do it. Hon you aren't going to lose weight or maintain weight loss if you only exercise when the weather is decent.

Everyone, I have been in your shoes. I am an expert on finding some reason to not exercise or to eat like crap. I'm so sick and tired of finding excuses for myself to be fat. There just isn't one, there really and truly isn't. I am an intelligent woman and god knows we are all bloody experts on losing weight. I'm sure between all of us we have read every weight loss book ever written. We know what we should be doing, it is just time we all got kicks in the butt to get going.

Yes it has been a long winter but you know we've all pretty much been living through them for many years before now. We can get through this. It is past the middle of February, spring is only a few weeks away.

Get off your duffs ladies. I don't want to hear excuses. I'm not even going to try and think of my own. I am fat and I don't like it anymore. I'm not going to live like this anymore. I am going to eat better, I am going to exercise and I am going to lose weight.

Nuff said, jumping off my soapbox now.
  • God Bless you Jen! That is what I needed!! hugs to ya! (but it still is darn cold - but it is no excuse!)
  • ummm. have you considered using some kind of liner under your pants? pantyhose? tights? leggings? extra warmth..

and a scarf over your face.

and two pairs of MITTENS NOT GLOVES.

see?? what i'm telling you is this: dress for the weather and you can stay out in it longer! yes. even with the snowshoes and asthma.. i'm hiking an hour or so a day.

so get dressed. and don't cut back!!!!
  • I think we really need to adapt a NO EXCUSE attitude! I agree with everyone here....It is darn hard to make changes and stick to them. I always seem to say, it is too darn cold in the winter, and too darn hot in the summer. I used to use the excuse that I can't exercise because I was way to busy, and almost never home. Well, you know what, I can't use that excuse anymore because I am home full time....still busy, but nevertheless home. So, I make up another excuse....like I need to sleep until the kids wake up...and I can't excercise when they are awake, and when they are resting, I am getting other thing done. They are just excuses, good ones I must say, but still excuses. We very rarely make and excuse to say that we don't have time to shower in the morning (well, I do sometimes ) or make an excuse not to brush our teeth....we just do it!!!!!! No excuses....and we barely think about it.... Let's make a committment to ourselves and each other. Go one Oprah.com and print off a contract with yourself, that you have to sign and everything. (I have, but haven't filled it out yet) We wouldn't want to break it now would we??? Or even Oprah's trainer and nutritionalist Bob Greene has a great website...check em out. This is all for the better....we are improving our lives and our health!!!! We are extending our lives by months, even years!!!

Let's kick our butts ladies!!!!!! Not each others....
  • Gina, I had a huge problem that I couldn't do anything while my 2 year old was around. I either did everything while was asleep or at daycare. I guess I figured my purpose was to be around him 100% of the time and keep him amused. Well I came to my senses on that issue. I was using him as an excuse not to do anything. Not exercising in particularly though that is one thing on a long list.

It is too darn easy to make excuses for our less than desirable behaviour.
  • well.. look what i found!!!! an article on tips for walking in winter... it appeared on my home page... msn must have heard about dana's ISSUES!!!!

http://fitness.msn.com/articles/feed...terwalkingtips
  • I know how ya feel about this whole "diet going nowhere" thing. I have been feeling like that from December up until now. But now the weather is "starting" to warm up, and I feel like a new person again.

It's weird how the weather can affect you so much! Lately I've really been in the mood to do some serious walking. Just hang in their Dana! You'll get through it!

~ kari ~
  • Great article Jiff....thanks for posting it!!!!
  • that article had some good ideas. I always wore cotton - always thought that was good to wear.
    Yesterday I wore my boots rather then sneakers - amazing how much more comfortable it is when your feet are warm! duh!