Old 11-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Default The Splendor of December: December 2020 Check-in & Accountability Thread

to the December 2020 daily weigh-in/check-in! This is an open invitation to one and all to join our little holiday party, make some new friends and enjoy the support of some really fantastic folks.

To call upon a timely cliche, I can't believe it's December! And what a year it's been! On one hand this has been a year of having to lay low and restrict our comings and goings. On the other hand, it has been a year of trying to be as flexible as possible and turning on a dime when necessary. If you're like me you've probably experienced those times where one day melts into the next. For certain it's been a challenging year with intermittent bright spots.
December sparkles for so many reasons: the snow, icy windows, holiday lights and displays , the anticipation of the holidays, and wrapping up not only but putting a bow on the past year. We've worked all year on improving our health and wellness. Some days are better than others and that's to be expected. Did you spend too much time on perceived failures and "could've, should've, would've" that you forgot how much progress you've made? That's in the past. Now it's time to put away the disappointments and missteps and revel in the joy of the season and the accomplishments we've experienced this year. Let this be a season of generosity; a time when we can show some personal kindness, appreciation and gratitude toward ourselves as well as others.

Here you can:
~track your weight daily, weekly or however you'd like ... but do check in
~keep track of what you eat or didn't eat
~keep track of your water intake or lack of
~keep track of your exercise/other goals
~vent, rant ... express yourself or just chit-chat

Wishing everyone a lovely and peaceful holiday season, and may the splendor of December remain with each of us long into the new year.

curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #2  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvynotlumpy View Post
December sparkles for so many reasons: the snow, icy windows
Hahaha, depends where you live! You mean sunshine dancing on the waves, or my nose is shiny because the sunscreen rubbed off?!
Can i pop in here just for my (hopefully) final month of effort? I know, it's kind of late to gatecrash (and i probably don't even qualify for the group - but then i don't even know what 100lb club means?? Does it mean you want to lose 100, or you want to be in the 100's, or something else?) I know i'm very lucky to be almost done, but the last bit is hard, and Christmas party-time is a distraction so would be great to have a bit of accountability in December to help me along, and by the look of November's thread you're all active and happy to write actual sentences!!! (Rare thing these days)

Got 3lb more to go to get to 118
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #3  

ange82much: Congratulations on being thisclose to goal! December always presents challenges but I don't think there is anything that will stand in your way in achieving your goal. No explanation regarding the name of the thread. I joined when it was already well established by someone at sometime. When I joined it was about the mindset, attitude, and most of all kindness of the posters on the thread that attracted me to it not the title of it. Have a great December and do report back any time but certainly when you cross the finish line!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 11-30-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #4  
learning maintenance

thanks Curvy. I like your ticker - that's cute!
Old 12-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

Height: 5'8

Happy December everyone! I agree with curvy that it is hard to believe it's December and the holiday season!! My December goal is to lose 3.4 pounds. (I am at 237.4 so 3.4 will make it an even 30 pounds). My plan is to stick with calorie counting and keep up the walking with my daughter. I guess one positive spin with COVID is there will be less temptation this year with less gatherings or parties.

William My husband has been losing weight with me too and he tries to stay under 2000. For him 2000 would be the calories needed to maintain a lower weight of 200 vs his 250plus pounds. We do salads too. It definitely helps fill us up. We also eat popcorn for snacks at night. He joked today that he is getting more sleep lately and that is helping him. If you are going to bed then you aren't up eating late at night.

ange82much Welcome aboard! I think the 100 pound club means people who need to lose 100 pounds, but anyone can join in of course.
loganandlivsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #6  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy I love the title you chose for this thread. December is indeed a month filled with splendour and wonder, with the Holidays right around the corner. Thank you for keeping us together all through the months 🙂

Wishing everyone a most amazing and successful month to end this crazy year!

I am still not sleeping well but it’s not as bad as the last two weeks. I made the decision at work to help the HR department starting sometime in January, to keep all my options open. I also chose to stop beating myself up over missing workouts. I realized that though I had decided not to look to the scale for validation, I was measuring all my success on how much I worked out in a week/month and when fatigue took over and I couldn’t get moving on a consistent basis, my confidence and self esteem just plummeted and I started to give up. So I analyzed my situation and I decided that I would focus on my food and water intake first, and if I can find better sleep, the energy will cone to work out. And in the meantime, I plan to go walk as often as possible, at least until everything turns icy. Started the month off right with a 2.4km walk, in the rain too. I could still enjoy the Christmas lights.

1: 2.4km walk
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #7  

I am down .4 of my 3.4 goal this month!! I am gong to get two walks in today since I didn't do it yesterday.

Martine
I am glad to see you are sleeping better and not beating yourself up about exercise. Most of our weight loss is from what we eat anyway. Of course there are health benefits besides just burning the calories, even mental benefits. I personally feel accomplished even after walking for close to an hour on the days we get our and walk. We have enjoyed the decorations too!

Good luck everyone and hang in there!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #8  
learning maintenance

loganandlivsmum - yay! great start to the month! I had a mini-whoosh the last two days too, and am down to 119.5 this morning and only 1.5lb away from my target, however it's the first of the Christmas parties tonight, so lets see how that goes. It's at one of the girls houses, and i'm going to drive, so at least the added alcohol calories won't be a thing. There will be food though, and it'll be 3+hrs later than i would normally finish eating for the day, so not great. I don't think i'll be tempted to over-indulge, it's just that i'll appear unsociable by not having much....

anyone got any top tips on not-offending people when you don't eat bucketloads of everything offered?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #9  
Gizmo

loganandlivsmom you’re well on your way to reaching your monthly goal already! I agree that walks are a great way to be active and that weight loss is dictated mostly by how we eat. But my issue has been that when I exercise, I want to eat well so I don’t throw away all my hard work. So when I stopped exercising on a regular basis, something went off in my brain, telling me not to bother to eat healthy since I was screwing up on the exercise front. I’m glad I finally realized it and now am back to eating on plan.

ange82much you must be excited to be so close to your goal weight. A trick at a party is to always keep something on your plate, to give the appearance of eating a lot, so that hosts won’t give you seconds and thirds. Hope you enjoyed your first party of the season.

I just couldn’t find any energy for a walk yesterday, after staying late at work, waiting for a call from IT to fix my laptop issues, which never came. It got fixed today (hopefully for good), and it turned into a much more positive day for me on all fronts. It definitely feels like a switch in temperature is happening and I have to bundle up for my walks.

Tomorrow is Friday, yay for the weekend to come!

2:
3: 2.3km walk
Old 12-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #10  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Thanks for starting this thread Curvy! Good Luck, Everyone!

SW: 166.6 CW: 167.4 (+ .8) GW: 159.6

1. 166.6
2. No Weigh In.
3. No Weigh In.
4. No Weigh In.
5. 167 (+ .4)
6. No Weigh In.
7. 166.2 (- .4)
8. No Weigh In.
9. 165.8 (- .8)
10. No Weigh In.
11. No Weigh In.
12. No Weigh In.
13. No Weigh In.
14. No Weigh In.
15. No Weigh In.
16. No Weigh In.
17. No Weigh In.
18. No Weigh In.
19. No Weigh In.
20. No Weigh In.
21. No Weigh In.
22. 167.4 (+ .8)
23. No Weigh In.
24. No Weigh In. Out of Town.
25. No Weigh In. Out of Town.
26. No Weigh In. Out of Town.
27. No Weigh In. Out of Town.
28. No Weigh In. Out of Town.
29. No Weigh In.
30. No Weigh In.
31. No Weigh In.

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS:+ .8 LBS.

Last edited by VickieLou; 01-02-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Add Information and Weigh In.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #11  
learning maintenance

that's good advice Martine, about keeping food on your plate to avoid being topped-up. I find that hard to do though!! I'm good at putting a sensible amount on my plate, but i'm a fast eater, and i've never been one to leave anything uneaten.

The party was easy enough - i know all these people pretty well, so i just said the truth (bizzare approach, i know), that i was dieting and only had 2lb to go, and was watching calories til i got there. I did need to eat some of the hosts homemade christmas icecream, and drink some champagne - but other than that, it was all my own choices.

Yes, i'm excited to be so close, but really it's a covid-readjust this time and i did all my losing in 2018 and have kept 90% of it off since then - but i still feel it to be a novelty to be at this sort of weight even after a couple of years!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:27 PM   #12  

Martine: Work moves along better when your is cooperating. Glad you got it fixed and had a better day.

VickieLou: Great to see you drop by. Sending good your way for a successful month!

ange82much: Congrats on your successful negotiating of party eating. I would have indulged on a little ice-cream myself as it is my favorite dessert and haven't had it for a few months.

loganandlivsmom: What a great start to the month! Walking is such great exercise!
It has been a long week and for the first time in months it felt like it. We're nearing the end of the quarter and everyone is getting their final meetings in before the winter break. Of course all these meetings are happening via Zoom. It's one thing to be working on my own things on the computer, it's another conducting and participating with others.

Yesterday, our governor implemented another mandatory stay-at-home order for all of California that is based on available hospital beds in whatever region you're living. Once the percentage drops below 15% the order goes into place. It's not surprising but is very much needed. It's not like I've been going anywhere other than the places I need to, and we've been doing this to one extent or another since March, so it's not much of a change.

On a positive note, the university I work at has rolled out wide scale COVID-19 testing to all staff, students, and faculty on December 1. Since I work on campus a few days per week I need to be tested every 7 days. For those that don't, they need to schedule a test before they can access campus. Today I took my third test and I'm grateful and relieved that they've been negative so far.

Nothing really planned for the weekend except relaxing and getting some good sleep.

Welcome to the weekend!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #13  

Hi team!
I must have spoke too soon. I was down .4 and then it's back! Ugg LOL Oh well, I have been doing better at hanging in there, maybe because it's more about getting healthier and not just all vanity. My husband is also VERY on board with losing weight so that it a big help. He is like my own personal daily Weight Watchers meeting. LOL
Curvy That sounds stressful with all the rules about Covid and working at a University. I am glad you keep testing negative!
ange82much I wanted to say first your name is cute! LOL Congrats on basically being at goal. This is the hard part though, keeping it off! I have lost lots of weight over the years only to not learn and slowly gain it back. I hope and pray this time I get it through my head that you have to keep up what you did to lose it to keep it off!! I agree Martine gave some great advice, I may have to try that.
Martine I am glad you are back on track. I wonder if half our battle isn't in our heads. Sigh!
Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #14  
learning maintenance

loganandlivsmum - i'm motivated to be fairly strict at the moment, and hopefully it'll last through summer (here), but it is fairly restrictive to stay at this weight and i don't expect to be here for ever realistically. For me i don't mind a bit of yoyo-ing, as long as the upper point isn't too high. I really like food and i like eating more than i should (and drinking), and i like the process of losing as well, so actually i can enjoy the phases of both gaining and losing for different reasons. But yeah, i would be pretty demoralized to put back the weight i lost in 2018.
curveynotlumpy - ha! The irony was that i had no interest in the icecream, and it tasted boring to me, but the hostess had made it specially and talked it up etc and everyone else enjoyed it, so i felt obliged to have some. I'm just not an icecream lover - except for maybe once a year i might fancy some. It's COLD for goodness sake - why would you want to eat something cold?!! (i realise i'm unusual here )

On a bit of a plateau at the moment, but eating has been on plan, so hoping for a shift sometime soon...
Old 12-07-2020, 03:11 AM   #15  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy your employer is putting in place effective testing measures. It shows they are taking this seriously. David works at a residence for autonomous elderly people and he too is getting tested regularly. I know some places in California have seen a surge in cases, much like here. Stay safe!

loganandlivsmom I like how you say your focus is on health, not just vanity. That will get you far. And it’s great that your husband is taking part in your weight loss journey. You can never have too much support.

Yesterday was not so good for me food-wise. David has a stomach flu and the day turned mostly into vegging out and eating whatever, unfortunately. It’s all in my head, gotta keep my head on straight. I have been walking regularly though, and to the speed I reached this Summer too, which makes me happy. But my hip pain reared its ugly head again yesterday. So I’m back to doing my physio exercises at home. I’ve enjoyed walking very early in the morning, when it’s still dark out, or after supper. Quiet times on the streets. This coming morning, it will be very cold out, so it will be the first time I will try walking with my Winter boots. If my feet hurt too much, I may look for Winter walking/hiking shoes.

Hope everyone will have a great Monday to start off this new week!

2:
3: 2.3km walk
4: 2.4km walk
5:
6: 2.6km walk