Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 253.6/191.8/169

Height: 5'7"

Hi Martine my problem was pelvic stability and piriformis muscle which rolling cannot really get to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lntsHN0ezw here is a piriformis link and the biggest help for me with the lower back and glute issues was this one. https://www.pelvicexercises.com.au/c...for-beginners/ They may seem easy but if you are checking yourself and seeing if there is rotation in the pelvis may roll with the movement and that rolling is a weakness that may be contributing to your glute and hip pain. Here are some exercises to strengthen the hip and glutes. I do the lower difficulty level of these but with ankle weights https://uhs.princeton.edu/sites/uhs/...engthening.pdf They have made a big difference. These are from my PT therapist.
gzgrl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Good morning

Martine: I'm sorry that your hips and glutes are giving you such a problem. Regarding the foam roller, it is a very awkward thing to use even on parts of the body that seem more accessible. As with exercise, you want to pay attention to form.

Is there any way the store can link your scanner to your system? That seems like an "easy" fix, but my tech skills are limited so what may look easy to me may not be.

gzgrl22: Thanks for sending the links to resources. I have a bad habit of not paying attention to form or technique until I feel something.
I hope everyone is having a great day. I'm taking a break from reference checks. Had a minor snafu this morning as one of the people I scheduled forgot that California is two hours behind Texas so was in a meeting when I called. We worked it out and she provided a great reference. I walked early this morning as the day started off cool. Beginning Friday we're in for a string of triple digit days ranging from 102-105 degrees. Can't wait!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 400/282/270

Height: 6'4"

Hey all, how u do? Greetings from the City of Roses!

Lost another friend to the Covid last week> Sh*t is hard to take...Mr "I'll never wear a mask!" even though he owned a grocery store and saw half the town every day. Felt a little under the weather, 2 days later was life flighted, died the day after. The speed was shocking. My area has been hit particularly hard. Please wear your masks.

Been berry pickin, and its been EPIC. Great, huge berries and wonderful weather. They open the forest to commercial pickers today, so we locals kinda stay away. maybe fill our buckets one last time before calling it a season. Mushrooms are just right around the corner.

My psychologist bristled at me when i suggested I haven't lost any weight since seeing him. lol I told him I've been looking for someone to blame for a week or two. lmao We had a good conversation. So it turns out, when I started my lifestyle changes, I made a deal, a bargain with myself...That if I could lose enough weight to reach 320, I would re-evaluate my goals and have a better idea of how much farther I need to go. It just so happens, that is exactly the lowest weight i have seen on the scale. He says I should reward myself and celebrate the victory, before trying to re-engage. It seems premature, but im always ready to reward myself hehe. I went and bought 2 pairs of new shoes and 4 brand new Carhart shirts. It felt rely good. Now...back to business. I told my psyco "how will I know how much weight I need to lose, until I get there, past there? I thought he was gonna blow a gasket. he says "thats sick talk" "mental issue" He said I need a professional opinion. Well my new GF is a doctor and PT. She thinks I look great. I don't think any of that stuff matters. I dont care how smart you are, no one but me can say when im comfortable. It is tempting to say, ok, we are good, but i feel like 280 will be where i need to be.
He wont talk to me till I see a regular doctor for their opinion. Freekin Quack! Not really, I like him.

My mom taught me a trick. Look at yourself in the mirror and block your face. I found it much easier to formulate a less biased opinion. I was able to really LOOK at my body objectively. weird.

GZ. I realy love your Sun Avatar. Did I read you painted it? If so, how do we get one? Im glad you survived the storm, I thought about u alot, strange how it becomes more personal. I mean i always care for my fellow man, but its just different when you know someone, even in the capacity this site provides.

Martine, I dont even pretend to be a doctor, but could your pain be related to a siatic nerve issue? I often wonder at the changes being so fat made in my gait. my left foot started to point outward, KC says for balance, and I would swing my legs out when walking. I see these same movements on TV when someone is obese. The "waddle" My gait is coming back but i still have balance issues and siatic pain. it feels like its my hip and shoots down my leg. KC taught me some techniques and freekin saved my life. I think a PT might be able to teach you some good stuff. minimally evasive stuff like pressure points. Just a thought.

Might be a while before I talk to my counselor, Aint NO FREEKIN way im going into the hospital! Are you kidding me? I live in a town of 3,000 with 64 confirmed cases. The real number is probably around 600. Thats 20%. They plan to open schools, my sis works at head start. Lord help us all!

8/11 322.2 Maintenance PRO yo!
William47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #34  
Gizmo

gzgrl22 thank you so much for the links. I recognize a lot of the movements from research I’ve been doing, and a lot of new ones. My problem is me trying to self diagnose instead of going to see a doctor, who in turn I know will send me to a PT. I’m giving myself one week of foam rolling, stretching, and various exercises to decide if there is no other option than to go in for a consultation.

William47 your psychologist is right to point you to a GP for all physical questions. But to say he won't see you until you consult is harsh. I really like the type of reward you chose for yourself, ie not food related. I know about the waddle movement when walking. I’ve caught myself doing it sometimes, especially when I was having issues with my left Achilles tendon a couple of years ago, or a heel spur a loooooong time ago. Time will come when I’ve had enough and will try and see a doctor.

curvynotlumpy sounds like the reference checks are going really well. What does it look like for your number one candidate? I’ve had to take time zones into consideration only a couple of times in my career, when placing a call to France to get references. Even in Canada, most people are not very mobile to the point of going to a province in a whole different time zone, compared to what I see in the USA.

Today was my first day working from home to scan all those documents. I did my normal morning routine and got dressed for work, thinking I would go after all that scanning, but my scanner is incredibly slooooooow and I kept getting interrupted to take care of email requests, so by lunchtime, I figured I would stay at home. On a day where temperatures were insufferable again and the apartment felt like an oven...again. Heat and humidity aside, it was a good experience of how working from home will look for me, and how I can improve on it.

I exercised today and drank almost 3L of water, but there was a thunderstorm after supper so I did not reach my steps goal. But I did see 226 (.8) on the scale for the very first time this morning, and that makes me less worried about my weight loss at a time when I am exercising less. I’m just being more disciplined with my food at this time, trying to counter the fact that I’m not burning as many calories.

Take care everyone!

1: 42 minutes HIIT and lower body strength training |STEPS: done |WATER: done
2: 35 minutes upper body strength training + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done
3: 40 minutes lower body strength training + 2km walk |STEPS: done|WATER: done
4: 34 minutes HIIT and core intervals workout| STEPS: done|WATER: done
5: 37 minutes HIIT workout. |STEPS: done|WATER: done
6: 27 minutes flexibility workout |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
7: 30 minutes cardio workout |STEPS: done |WATER: done
8: rest day|STEPS: done |WATER: done
9: 34 minutes pilates workout + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done
10: 26 minutes low impact cardio workout |STEPS: done |WATER: done
11: 32 minutes upper body and core workout.|STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #35  

Good morning, a new low on the scale but barely. Losses are definitely coming slower these days, but they are coming. WIll watch myself to see if I am getting sloppy or if it really is a slow down.

curvy you are so on the money about form. I learned a lot of these in therapeutic pilates sessions where they explained exactly what you should be feeling, what you are likely to be feeling and how to correct your issues. I still pay a lot of attentiont to form and although sometimes the exercises seem like I am not doing as much, the form makes a huge difference in the results. Hoping your heat wave doesnt last long. The Northeast has been simmering in it for awhile and I am redy for a break from the humidity and steam.

william I am so sorry about your friend. I have lost a few folks to COVID, and my son had it and still has a nagging cough 4 months later. This thing is no joke. Sounds like an interesting therapy session. You seem well suited to challenge each other! I agree that we have to decide for ourselves and in some respects will not know til we get there. I fully expect that I will be at my "correct" weight at 15 pounds over the top of the range the charts are telling me. I know my body and my body type and the amount of muscle I am carrying. A paper chart doesnt tell the whole story by any means.

martine I can tell you when I am going thru the motions and not focusing on form, I do not get the results and, on accasion, have injured myself. Form is the most important thing. ONe nice thing about dropping my weights is that I get into a much better habit with form (Because I can -- my peak weights push the form thing) Looks likw we have some more warm weather yet, so I am sympathizing with you. The paintings are little 12 x 12 acrylics I did for a local latino resturant exhibition. I sold the sun and a moon and three chickens/roosters in this Mexican folk style, but I can always do another.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #36  

William47: I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. COVID-19 is such a mysterious and crafty virus and is leaving such devastation in it's wake. I live in a pretty progressive college town so masking up and social distancing haven't been much of an issue. However, ask me when the new year begins and I'll let you know if that changes.

You're absolutely correct; only you can gauge your comfort. Martine and gzgrl22 provided some great insight. Seeing a doctor for your physical needs is an excellent idea (but maybe not now) and would also give you an opportunity to ask some of the more physical related questions you have. Is a telehealth appointment an option? Charts and scales do not tell the whole story. BMI is just one example. Many athletes--professional and otherwise--would be classified as overweight due to their muscle mass. Hardly any fat on them at all but still exceeding the ranges of what the BMI charts state.

Martine: Sounds like you're learning lots about your home and work routines. While I don't think I'll ever enjoy working from home exclusively , I wouldn't mind if we could keep home/office flexibility as part of the permanent plan when we are officially cleared to return to the office.

gzgrl22: Yes, they may come more slowly but a loss is a loss! Congratulations!

Oh, it's going to be a scorcher of a week coming up! As a transplanted Midwesterner I will always miss summer rain and a good thunderstorm. I will NEVER miss the humidity!
I spoke with our chosen candidate this afternoon. We had a really nice talk and he asked to sleep on the offer. I'm trying to not be anxious and see his sleeping on it as sound decision making instead of preparing to turn me down. . Keeping my I've also been working on my summary of accomplishments for my evaluation. Once I'm in a writing groove I'm fine, but I drag my feet every year. What would be more helpful is to be my summary as the year progresses so that it's ready to go for next year.

Happy Hump Day!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-12-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #37  

curvy - hoping he accepts. You hate to have to go through the offer process all over again and re-evaluate the other candidates.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #38  
Gizmo

William47 I am really sorry about your loss of another friend to COVID-19. It really is tragic how quickly this virus can overtake someone's body. At work, we have been wearing masks since us managers started to go back in to prepare for reopening way back in April, so when our provincial government made it mandatory in all closed public spaces two weeks ago, I was already well used to it. And I'm convinced it is contributing to the number of cases remaining fairly stable thus far in our province. Stay safe!

gzgrl22 I have to agree with you on form being so important. Sometimes I may think I am doing a movement correctly, but I may be way off. That's where I'm sure a PT helped you with achieving proper form to avoid more back and glutes issues. Are you tracking your weight daily? I don't know if you mentioned this before, but do you follow any meal plan/diet/track your food? I like how you say you are "watching youself" to see if there's something you can do to prevent a slow down in weight loss. I feel like I'm watching myself as well, constantly re-evaluating.

curvynotlumpy I really hope this candidate works out. Did he want to negotiate some of the terms of the offer? Hiring has always been such a "hazardous" process, for which a lot of patience and care are required. And I am so with you on writing a summary of your accomplishments for your evaluation. I have always dreaded it. Last year, I started to write my successes on my phone as I went, to make it easier to prepare my auto-evaluation. I always had my phone nearby so it became an automatic reflex to type things in. Wishing you success on both projects.

I am now doing more and more at work, since stores are moving closer towards their regular operations each week, and need more information and support from me. I'm learning as I go, since there are so many aspects of my job that I have heard about, but have not yet practiced. But I am trying to create a real routine for myself, going for a walk on my lunch break without my work phone, finishing on time, making time to scan documents at home instead of doing it after my work day, not checking my emails in the evening, etc. I think I have to set boundaries for myself early on if I don't want to get overwhelmed by my work. I did learn today that it may be mandatory that I work from home until at least January 2022, as our CEO sent out a memo mandating that all offices should remain closed until then. I am waiting for confirmation, but if that is the case, I will definitely need to define a work space, because working on my sofa with my laptop on my thighs won't be an option.

I didn't go walk after supper again yesterday, because it was just too hot and I felt tired and wanted to just relax with David. Today I feel much better and will get in my 10 000 steps. I have to say that I am enjoying the beginners challenge that I am currently doing. I still don't love pilates, but in this heat, it feels right. I wonder how my body will feel when I finish this challenge and move on to a kickboxing one afterwards...

Have a wonderful evening everyone!

2: 35 minutes upper body strength training + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done
4: 34 minutes HIIT and core intervals workout |STEPS: done|WATER: done
5: 37 minutes HIIT workout |STEPS: done|WATER: done
8: rest day |STEPS: done |WATER: done
11: 32 minutes upper body and core workout |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
12: 31 minutes flexibility workout |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
13: 37 minutes low impact cardio and pilates workout |STEPS: done |WATER: done
Old 08-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #39  

up slightly to 197.4 today but I ate 300 calories over my normal last night and it included yogurt which causes a scale jump. No worries. it'll come down. Did 40 minutes of weights yesterday and 2.5 mile walk last night.

Martine - I weigh daily. The scale used to be an emotional roller coaster but weighing daily eventually made me more able to cope with little variations as I identified the bigger patterns and could start to correlate individual foods with scale jumps. Also you begin to see that weight loss is never linear and seldom corresponds directly to your efforst on a given day. Tracking--I started years ago with fitday to track food, activity, and weight as well as nutrients. I looked over some newer ones but I know this one inside out so I have stayed with it. Still use the free version too. I liked it because it made it easy to figure net carbs and I can check my nutrients easily as well as my macros.

I watch myself because I can get sloppy. For example, an ounce of cheese will not slow me down but if I do it twice in same day, or have cheese and yogurt in same day, it can stop my losses. And when I babysit I sometimes have a slice of the kiddo's freeze dried apple chips or a spoon of avocado -- it all adds up. I cannot have even a few bites off plan if I wish to lose. I am OK with that most of the time, but slip a little can lead to slip a lot.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #40  

Good afternoon

Martine: Great news our candidate accepted the position! He apologized for any stress he may have caused me and I'm like "What? Who, me?" What's interesting is that on the application it asks for minimum salary and he listed his preference. What we were offering was well above what he listed so there wasn't even any salary negotiating. He's such a great fit for our unit so I'm very optimistic and keeping my that he likes us as much as we like him.

A good office set-up is a must, Martine. In those first two months of working from home the common complaints were of achy backs, eye strain, headaches, and sore wrists. Health and safety sent over ergonomics checklists and we were allowed to take our office chairs home. We swapped tips with each other as well. It's made a big difference! Working from home for a year and a half is a long stretch of time. You want to be comfortable. BTW, I love the idea of keeping track of my tasks and accomplishments on my phone. I'll be doing that from here on out.

gzgrl22: I weigh daily as well for exactly the same reasons. I like to keep track of the fluctuations and even though I'm far from loving what I see on the scale these days I appreciate seeing the number and associating it with my eating and exercise patterns.
The heat is on here! As I write it is 100 degrees outside, tomorrow 107. After working out the details with the new hire, I went back to work on my performance evaluation. I'm pretty much done except for my goals for next year which won't take nearly the time as the summary of accomplishments. All in all a good day.

Wishing everyone a lovely evening.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #41  

Just flipped back thru and saw your post curvy Yay on the acceptance. And BOO on the weather. Stay cool as you can. I cannot even imagine that heat but hoping you don't have the humidity too. Thats the killer. Are you west coast? That heat always scares me cuz it dries everything out so much and then the brushfires start.

We took a west coast trip a few years back and I will never forget it. In Oregon we had to skip Mt Hood because a couple of kids set off fireworks and sarted a HUGE forest fire. Then we were in Napa and the morning after we left, the massive fire blew through the valley. It burned all around our friend's house but somehow left their street intact. Then we drove into Yosemite and on the bus we took to Glacier Point you could see the flames coming up the slope to the roadway. Finally, we drove down to SanDiego and there was a fire in Anaheim. I told my husband "they may think we are jinxed and never allow us back in the state of CA"!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #42  

Good morning

gzgrl22: Oh my gosh , what a striking coincidence between your travels and the fires in California. I can picture you and your husband moving from place to place with fires erupting after your visits.Yes, I'm in Northern California where sadly, fires are a regular part of the summer season. Everything is so dry by this time of year due to the lack of and the low humidity. I'm going to have to recant my statement about never missing the Midwestern humidity from a couple of posts ago. As unbearable as it is, I recognize that it keeps the foliage green and damp which drastically reduces fires.
Thank you all for the and well wishes as I awaited word from our selected candidate. It was much appreciated. If he had declined the position I had already checked most of the references for our second choice. It would have been disappointing but we would have been fine. Today is free of meetings so my goal is to wrap up my performance appraisal and if I have the time, complete the screening form for all the candidates who had applied but were not selected for interviews.

Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-14-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #43  

curvy I thought northern CA was the most beautiful part of our Washington to San Diego drive. The coast from the Sonoma Coast north to Oregon is the most beautiful stretch of coastline ever. And inland to Ukiah area was also beautiful. But those fires! I had to laugh because a lot of the CA folks were so sympathetic to us Easterners and our hurricanes but we have a week to get ready for those. With the fires and earthquakes you all have very little warning if any, at times.

Not having a good day---craving and hungry like crazy and not sure why. I have no idea why all of a sudden I am feeling like this. I may go back to a really strict clean day tomorrow to see if I can kick whatever is in my system to the curb. If nothing else it will make me feel like I am taking a positive action. Only thing I can think of is we have been trying "Hello Fresh" on an introductory discount and they do include little things like a sour cream pkt. I thought the teaspoon or so I use would not be an issue but maybe that is what's messing with me. Ugh. Even upping my calories has not helped. Decided for the next couple of days I will focus on the clean eating and not worry about calorie count or weight loss. Will eat only tried and true ingredients only
Old 08-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #44  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy very happy for you that the candidate accepted the offer. Do you still have any positions left to fill? Sounds like it was a pretty good week at work. I will keep in mind the health and safety issues that come from working from home that you mentioned. I don’t know why I said January 2022, mind fart there. I meant January of next year. But until I see something in writing that says that working from home is mandatory, I’ll keep going into the office.

gzgrl22 I understand how you view daily weigh-ins. Though I want to lose weight, I am not focusing on the number on the scale because my weight loss is too slow and I could get discouraged over time. But I will weigh myself regularly out of curiosity. Sorry to hear you’ve had an off day in terms of eating. So many factors influence hunger, I have those days as well from time to time, Like you, that’s when I turn to whole foods and load up on fruits and veggies to avoid eating anything and everything. Hope you are feeling more like yourself today.

My hips were very sore after work yesterday, so I decided to take my weekly rest day and not go walking to reach my steps goal. After a lot more research this morning, I think I have finally figured out what I suffer from: gluteal tendinopathy, which is part of the Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome. And I think I have found the two causes behind this hip pain: 1. changing to a job where I sit all day, often times crossing my legs under my chair, has compressed tendons in that area. 2. I walked a lot more in July and my leg alignment may be off, adding to the problem. I will look for a phone/video chat consultation with a doctor at a walk-in clinic I’ve gone to in the past, Surely I’ll be referred to a physiotherapist. I know I’ll have to pay close attention to how I sit and move. Already I am making sure to distribute my weight evenly on my two feet when standing in place, instead of cocking my hips to one side. Also when sitting on the couch, I’m making sure not to fold a leg under myself or cross my ankles. If I sleep on my side, I’ll put a pillow between my legs to keep it from falling inward from the hip.

The good news is that it is recommended to stay active, to avoid degeneration of the tissues. So I’ll keep up with my beginners challenge today, foam rolling and ice. I’ll also go walking and try to gauge how my hips move in relation to the rest of my body. If my legs tend to cave in, that compresses the area as well. I think that’s where a professional will be able to help me most, because I am not an expert on walking stance.

Hope everyone is enjoying a great Saturday!

4: 34 minutes HIIT and core intervals workout |STEPS: done|WATER: done
5: 37 minutes HIIT workout |STEPS: done|WATER: done
8: rest day |STEPS: done |WATER: done
11: 32 minutes upper body and core workout |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
12: 31 minutes flexibility workout |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
13: 37 minutes low impact cardio and pilates workout |STEPS: done |WATER: done
14:rest day |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
Old 08-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #45  

Good morning

Martine: Thank you for your kind words! I am happy...no, thrilled to let you know that I have no more positions to fill on my staff! It has been over a year since I've been able to state that. Of course having an almost completely new staff brings its own challenges but they are all eager, excited, and incredibly talented in their areas (and beyond). I'm looking forward to working and charting new territory with them.

I'd be going into the office too until official word comes down. I'm seeing more staff coming into campus than a few months ago. The university is considered an essential service so while we sent students home, and we transitioned to remote work, our campus wasn't shut down. It was just closed to the public. We still are and now that we've had time to adjust working around the virus safely, folks are taking a break from working at home. I ran into a colleague last week who said she never thought she'd say that working in the office a couple of days per week felt like a vacation.

I had never thought about how sitting might be affecting your hip issues. Great sleuthing, Martine! I often sit exactly how you describe with my legs crossed under my chair. I feel the soreness in my knees. I will need to be more cognizant of that and keep my feet flat on the floor.

gzgrl22: The Northern California coast is indeed beautiful and scenic! I'm glad you were able to make it out this way and that it was so memorable. I came out here from Nebraska in 1997 to go to graduate school and never left.

How are you feeling today? Have the cravings decreased. On one hand I'm surprised that something relatively small like a packet of sour cream could stir up the snacky feelings and cravings. On the other hand if your eating has been pretty clean for weeks or months, I totally get it. The only thing I can relate it to is when I was last successful with weight loss. I had cut added sugar and sugary drinks and foods out of my diet. I did have an occasional splurge now and then. I distinctly remember having a milk-shake and it tasted better than any milkshake I ever had. It's like it reawakened my taste buds and took forever for me to find my balance. You have a great triage plan in place so that should help tremendously.
The morning was off to an odd start. The skies have been overcast and then dark clouds moved in. When I checked the weather on my phone it said 60% chance of rain at 8 a.m. which was unexpected because it rarely rains in summer here. A few sprinkles fell then around 9 a.m. the skies opened up and it poured! Rainy weather is my favorite so I'm kind of loving it but I know when the sun returns we are going to pay for it in terms of humidity. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Yesterday I completed disqualifying the other applicants from the position so I can send back the screening sheet to HR tomorrow. Now I need to contact those we interviewed who didn't get the the position. It's always the worst part of the process.

A quick run to the grocery store, some laundry and then I'm going to relax the rest of the day.

Happy Sunday!