Old 08-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Good morning

opheliaphoenix: Welcome back! Happy to hear that your trip was successful and that you didn't miss a beat getting back into the groove.
My day has just started and for the most part it is wide open in regards to meetings and appointments. I only have one on my schedule today but per usual I have a bunch of tasks that have been on the back burner that I need to get to. One of them is a draft of my performance appraisal. In the scheme of things it's such an easy thing to do but I dislike and procrastinate doing it every year. Oh, well. It will get done.

Happy Hump Day!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #17  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Thanks for starting this thread, Curvy! Good Luck, Everyone!

SW: 171.6 CW: 170 (- 1.6) GW: 162.6 I'll be down 100 LBS.

1. 171.6
2. 171.4 (- .2)
3. No Weigh In.
4. 171.2 (- .4)
5. 170 (- 1.6)
6. 170 (- 1.6)
7. No Weigh In.
8. No Weigh In.
9. No Weigh In.
10. No Weigh In.
11. 170 (- 1.6)
12. 169.8 (- 1.8) I'm finally back into the 160's!
13. 168.8 (- 2.8)
14. 168.4 (- 3.2)
15. No Weigh In.
16. No Weigh In.
17. No Weigh In.
18. No Weigh In.
19. No Weigh In.
20. 170 (- 1.6)
21. No Weigh In.
22. No Weigh In.
23. No Weigh In.
24. No Weigh In.
25. No Weigh In.
26. No Weigh In.
27. No Weigh In.
28. No Weigh In.
29. 170.8 (- .8)
30. 170 (- 1.6)
31. No Weigh In.

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS: - 1.6 LBS.

Last edited by VickieLou; 08-30-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add Information and Weigh In.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #18  
Gizmo

VickieLou Wow you are so close to joining the 100 pounds lost club!

opheliaphoenix I’m happy that you got to enjoy time with your husband before his deployment, even if that meant long drives and some swelling. I hope that you will have ways to communicate often. Both of you are so strong to bear such long periods of time separated. Great job on bouncing right back and being back on track after your trip.

curvynotlumpy it’s great that IT was able to get you the data you needed so quickly. How long will the report take to produce and is your team working on it with you? And looks like you’re getting great support from that coordinator to prepare onboarding for your new hire. I love when people are willing to share their experiences to help others. Wishing you success on both projects!

I meant to post yesterday but I...forgot...Yesterday was a much more positive day at work and today was even better, though I’m still dealing with some technical issues. I took the time to go walk during my lunch break both days, doing my best to reach my daily steps goal. Both days I did go for a walk after supper (1.5-2.5km) to make my goal, and it was even raining yesterday but I didn’t mind.

I just finished a 4-week program focused on abs, which I really enjoyed (really? me enjoying core work? for 4 weeks? ). But with my hips being a problem right now, I will switch my focus for the next couple of weeks, doing a beginners type challenge, to try and let my body heal and recuperate. I can feel that I need to pull back a bit.

Hope everyone is enjoying a great week so far.

1: 42 minutes HIIT and lower body strength training |STEPS: done |WATER: done
2: 35 minutes upper body strength training + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done
3: 40 minutes lower body strength training + 2km walk |STEPS: done|WATER: done
4: 34 minutes HIIT and core intervals workout. |STEPS: done|WATER: done
5: 37 minutes HIIT workout. |STEPS: done|WATER: done
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 400/282/270

Height: 6'4"

Hola, hola, como estas?

Thats spanish for Whad Up? How are all my internet friends? Straight Blissful in Pacific Northwest! Huckleberry harvest in full bloom, with friends from all over the west, converging on the dappled meadows and sun painted slopes of mount Adams. In search of the ever elusive "gallon per hour spot". lol It takes all day to pick a gallon, I dont care who u are!

Visit with my counselor today. I havent lost a pound since I started working with him, however, I think im a better person and have better awareness. I would like to think its the psychological changes that are driving the physical changes. Not in response to the physical drivers like hunger. Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that our psychological responses, at the base level, are chemical reactions in our bodies, small electrical impulses between nerves. Im waxing a bit, but when i look back at old family pictures, jees, there are alot of Fatty-Mcfatties in my tree. I wonder if its harder to re-learn, change, or at least control, a genetic propensity towards being obese. Whether or not learned behaviors are the only aspect of our character that we really have control of. Are there different techniques for addressing genetic and learned behaviors? How can I contend that "deep seated psychological issues" are at the root of my problem, when psychological activity is based in the physical? Isn't being obese a physical problem? shouldn't I treat my physical problem, physically? Exercise and diet, forget all the fancy-dancy psycho cr*p?
If anyone has anything to add or wants to consider, I would love to discuss it with him. He charges enough, we might as well gang up on him.
No personal messages today, just that I appreciate you guys sooo much. I find you in my thoughts as I go about my day. HeHe some of you are great company!

8/6 324.0
William47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #20  

Good afternoon

VickieLou: So happy to see you check in and give us an update. I'm so excited for you; a one-hundred pound weight loss is a huge milestone. You must be thrilled! How long have you been on your journey?

Martine: Glad things are coming together for you at work. It sure makes your actual work that much easier. Ahhh, Martine, I believe you hit upon the secret to enjoying exercise. Once you're in the habit, seeing the results, and appreciating the increasing ability of what your body can do, you enjoy it! Fantastic!
Today has flown by so quickly! This morning I walked with my two friends who have dogs. It was a glorious overcast and brisk morning. Very unlike Northern California in the middle of summer. Walking and exercising in that kind of weather is refreshing and easy! I had my monthly update meeting with my supervisor. Due to other things we hadn't met for two months so it was nice to catch up. I also called one of the references for the candidate I hope to offer the position to. Both references I've spoken to were exceedingly positive but also very objective. All the details of the offer (salary, start date) need to be approved by HR and then I can move forward. I'm looking at a tentative start date of September 8, right after the Labor Day holiday. I'm doing the reference checks for our alternate choice just in case.

Happy Thursday!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:20 AM   #21  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy here too it was much cooler yesterday morning. I almost wore a cardigan, almost. Glad you enjoyed your refreshing walk with your friends and their dogs. Sounds like it was a great day at work, getting to catch up with your supervisor and getting very positive references for the candidate to whom you want to make an offer. Does your HR department act quickly once references are completed? With the start date you have in mind, there’s not a lot of time left to make an offer, especially if the candidate has to give a 2-week notice. Really hope you get the best candidate for this position.

William47 physical and mental health go hand in hand. If you can’t get into the right mindset for weight loss, no matter the physical efforts you put in, it just won’t work long term, as old patterns will inevitably resurface. Hopefully your counsellor is able to help you identify those patterns so that you can modify your behaviour accordingly, and get your body in tune with your mind, and vice versa. And yes, modifying behaviours after years of the same learned patterns is difficult, but not impossible.

Yesterday was a long work day and I felt drained after my flexibility workout, followed by supper. By the time we were done eating, I just didn’t have any energy left to go walking, to reach my steps goal. But today is another day to get more steps in. I also received the foam roller ordered and will look into movements that I can do with it to help with my hips and other areas of my body.

It’s funny to say, but after more than 22 years working in the stores and working one weekend out of two, and thus always having a day off during the week, it feels strange working Monday-Friday, and I feel like I missed my day off this week. I will get used to it of course, but this first full week in my new job, I see that I have to change my home routine a bit. But now I can say like most everyone else that I am looking forward to the weekend

Enjoy your Friday everyone!

2: 35 minutes upper body strength training + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done
4: 34 minutes HIIT and core intervals workout|STEPS: done|WATER: done
5: 37 minutes HIIT workout|STEPS: done|WATER: done
6: 27 minutes flexibility workout |STEPS: goal not reached |WATER: done
Old 08-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #22  
Tough Turtle

S/C/G: 199/183/115-120

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Curvynotlumpy glad to hear you are enjoying the nice weather! It's been great here too in MI. We've been having an unseasonably hot summer and we got almost a week with weather in the 70's. Yesterday was the best day IMO and I was really enjoying it.

Martine: I agree working monday through friday can feel like a long time. Maybe you could plan a treat for yourself midweek to help break up the long week?
======================

Hey I'm back! Not with good news unfortunately. My 8 week alternate day fasting (36 hr) experiment is being cut short. It's been 2 1/2 weeks in and I think I may be gaining weight. I'm not 100% sure. Although I am 100% sure I am not losing anything . I can't give a good reason why. I do not count calories but I doubt that I've been eating 4,000 calories on my eating days. Maybe I eat too many "trash carbs?" Idk. It just isn't working out. I knew it might take sometime to get results but my gut feeling here is that things are just not going well. Not surprisingly I enjoyed my ADF diet. Well no wonder because I wasn't losing anything .

I will just go back to my old diet if for some reason I get interrupted by a social event so be it. I will try to not worry about it. I think this will work out for me because I usually only have on average 1 social event a week. I'm not going to lie I am kinda regretting trying out ADF. I can't help but think that I would almost be 160's by now (a weight range I have been REALLY looking forward to) and instead I've put on a few lbs. I know it is what it is and it's good that I tried...blah blah. I'll try to be positive. Nothing ventured nothing gained. And most hypotheses fail but you learn from them.

Eh, but whatever. I'm visiting my parents for a few days so there is some more weight gain headed my way. Although I am so looking forward to seeing them! I will be starting my old diet back up August 12th. I am not worried about it working. 60-84 hour fasts work marvelously for me. I just like eating more frequently, but I guess that is my sacrifice for eating whatever I want on my fed days. I'll report back when I am back on track. I know reporting my weight gain is keeping it real and you guys don't judge me but to be frank it depresses me. Wish it didn't. I have that stupid type A personality. Anyway see you guys soon when I get back down to 173!

Last edited by bloominbutterflies; 08-07-2020 at 01:00 PM.
bloominbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #23  

Good afternoon

Martine: In time you'll get used to having weekends off but my ideal would be your former schedule to have one weekday and weekend day off. The start date for the position is flexible and ideal if there are no hiccups in HR, so the selected candidate will always get the two week window to resign from their previous position. Only one of our candidates is employed currently. From his resume it looks like he's working two part-time jobs. This should indicated the kind of economy we're in right now. Surprisingly, HR has moved pretty efficiently with my last two hires and part of that has to do with the fact that they were outside hires. When you hire internally at our university everything has to move like "clockwork" because you don't want a break in service. If there is that messes up vacation and sick leave as well as interfere with retirement. With an outside hire, these aren't concerns. Foam rollers are one of those hurts so good things. It takes some time getting used to it because some of the exercises are painful. Oh, boy, do you feel the difference though! Lots of good exercises and demonstrations on YouTube.

William47: It is hard to gather a gallon of berries! They're small and you always have to account for the intermittent snacking one does as they pick (at least for me).

I concur with the wise words of Martine. The mind and body work together just like exercise and food. Food fuels the body to enable it to work and play. If you don't feed it well, your physical well being and performance will suffer. I don't know what the answer is to achieving the right mindset but without it, achieving your health, wellness, and physical goals will be nearly impossible. You asked so many great questions in your last post and I'm happy you have a therapist who can help you tease out the knots to those questions. Give yourself the gift of time and patience. My guess is that arriving at the answers won't be linear, and you'll grasp insights throughout your journey and find answers and meanings in surprising places. Continue to put one foot in front of the other and see each day as a new beginning.

bloominbutterflies: Good to hear from you! Thanks for reporting back about your new diet. It is interesting to see/feel what our bodies are doing. It's good that you had such a firm foundation that yielded positive results to return to. You know what works and can make the adjustment. Enjoy the time with your parents.
TGIF, friends! Today I got everything and nothing done. I'll explain. It's been a day full of meetings via Zoom. I needed to be in those meetings but at the same time my mind kept returning to all of the tangible tasks that I needed to do. My head just spins! The first thing on my agenda after the day ends is to just let my brain rest. I'm having dinner (outdoors) with friends tomorrow evening but not much else scheduled for the weekend.

Have a great evening and start to your weekend!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-07-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 253.6/191.8/169

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, back from three days of babysitting adventures. Didnt lift while there but I got in a fair number of steps following him around each day (between 14 and 17000) and cleaning up the yard after the tropical storm. Weight up slightly and I hit lower body and core hard tonight. I expect the scale will drop back down in a day or so.

William - I totally agree with Martine too. My family had some overweight folks, buteach generation seemed to be bigger than the last. But I know for me-- I have never had a problem with actual physical hunger -- it is my emotions and psychological reasons that drive my impulse to eat. At the same time, bad habits such as snacking in front of the TV, having desserts after dinner, etc. all came about from my environment. But I do love reading your musings and look forward to more-- makes us all stop and think about these connections.

Blooming - sorry ADF didnt work out for you. I have to be mindful when I do my 24 and 36 hour fasts that I don't overdo it the day I break fast. I can easily justify extra calories and carbs if I allow myself.
gzgrl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #25  
Gizmo

gzgrl22 I hope the clean up after the storm wasn’t too crazy. I saw that some areas, suffered a lot of damage, even here in Québec province. I’m sure that workout felt good when you got home. Back to the grind

bloominbutterflies sorry to hear that ADF did not work well for you. But that’s what part of this journey to weight loss, changing things up and trying new things when we hit a plateau. Yes, some changes will work better than others, but it’s all part of the process. And as you said, we learn from the experience and move on. Be kind to yourself, always And have a wonderful time visti g your parents!

curvynotlumpy I’ve had many of those “everything and nothing done” days. I had two TEAMS meetings on Thursday, neither lasting that long, but it felt like it was cutting into my work time. My wish for you this weekend is to not think about work, togive your brain a rest as you said. Enjoy that night out with friends today. We ate outside a few times during our vacation and it is truly one of the great pleasures of the Summer.

First week done at my new job. Yesterday I caught up on all my work and managed to help many stores resolve some issues, so that makes me happy and confirms that I made the right choice moving to this new position. I even managed to finish 15 minutes early. This weekend I want to find a nice way to label the set of keys I was handed. There are like 8 keys on it, all the same model, and I refuse to keep trying each one of them every time I want to open a cabinet or drawer.

I manged to complete all of my goals yesterday, but I did not get around to trying my foam roller. curvy, words like “hurt” and “painful” are not exactly encouraging Today is my first true rest day in a more than a month. But I will get my 10 000+ steps in. It feels weird to take a rest day after being active every single day in July, but I think my body needs this. This last week, working out felt like a chore, like my heart wasn’t 100% in it, and my performance reflected that. That’s why I’ll be doing a beginners’ challenge for the next two weeks, with a lot of pilates and low impact workouts.

Time to get this day started. Enjoy a great Saturday everyone!

4: 34 minutes HIIT and core intervals workout| STEPS: done|WATER: done
7: 30 minutes cardio workout |STEPS: done |WATER: done
Old 08-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #26  

Good morning

Martine: I'm thrilled that you feel right and good about your new job transition! I'm sure it certainly feels good to troubleshoot and help your stores. By the way I have the same "key" challenge. If you find a good solution please pass it on!

I'm very much looking forward to my evening out. I'm rooting for all businesses who have managed to move their seating outdoors for the summer and nice months. They've been hard hit and I want them to do as much business via patio/outdoor seating, curbside, and delivery.

gzgrl22: I'm glad you had a successful stay up North and I'm happy to see you check-in. You came to mind several times over the last few days as I watched the national news and clean-up that was taking place. Glad you and your family are all safe!
This morning started with a trip to the local Farmer's Market. I went specifically seeking tomatoes but I couldn't resist some of the other offerings. My haul today included some yellow peaches, strawberries, seedless Red Flame grapes, and blueberries. My goal is to make a summer fruit salad. Odds and ends around the house and just relaxing today.

Happy Saturday!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-08-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #27  

Good morning

Not much new to report. Just dropping by to say and wish everyone a great Sunday! I hope everyone is well. If anything memorable comes up, I'll check back in later.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #28  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy hope you've been enjoying your weekend as well. And the combination of all those fruits you bought surely made for a great salad.

So yesterday was a full rest day for me, including a long afternoon nap and a leisurely evening walk to get my steps in. I have planned every Saturday this month to be a rest day. I think it will do me some good. I also started using my foam roller on my hips today. Well I tried to use it and did what I could, but I can tell there will be a bit of a learning curve on how to use it properly. I did find some relief after using it, though later in the day the pain and burning sensation returned at times. I also started what Fitness Blender calls a "beginners' challenge" today, wtih a pilates workout focused on the lower body. I'm not a huge fan of pilates, but I think it's important for me to slow things down a bit, considering my hip pain and that I did so much in July (maybe too much...). And pilates can be quite the workout in and of itself. I also followed a new tai chi routine I found on Youtube. I need a lot more practice to improve my form, but again it's a welcome change of pace. Now time for another slow walk to reach 10 000 steps. It's a totally arbitrary number really, but it get me off my butt and moving.

David is making his spaghetti sauce right now, it's starting to smell amazing the apartment. Looking forward to a nice supper.

Hope everyone has been having a wonderful weekend!

8:rest day|STEPS: done |WATER: done
9: 34 minutes pilates workout + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done

Last edited by Martine; 08-09-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 253.6/191.8/169

Height: 5'7"

Happy Sunday folks,

My weight is still up slightly. I did an arm workout today and walked 3 miles again. Back on my usual pace of 3.5 MPH.. It has been a push to get there lately but tonight I was on target and it didn't seem to be a strain to do so.

Martine - you do a lot of hard hitting workouts and the pilates definitely is a different kind of workout. I have to say, I never found some of the moves easy but it did a heck of a job toning everything and teaching me body awareness. It improved my posture, my form in weights, and my form in jogging and walking. I really would love to be back in it but I just can't make myself do it alone at home. I do better in a class. It also corrected some glute and back issues that were requiring recurring PT visits.

Curvy - the farmers market sounds wonderful. We have one here on Tuesdays but I have been up north every time it is on. Hoping to check it out this week.
gzgrl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #30  
Gizmo

gzgrl22 it'ce nice when you can get back to your performance level on an exercise relatively quickly. You mentioned how you had to go to a physiotherapist for glute and back issues. I think my hip pain either stems from my glutes, or my glutes are now feeling the strain as well. What did your pain in your glutes felt like? I have this burning sensation on certain movements, or when sitting down for a while, on the outside of my glutes, which goes up to the side of my hips. Pain is intermittent and ice seems to help. I have started using a foam roller yesterday, and I get some relief from that, but I am so uncoordinated and clumsy that it will take a while for me to get the hang of it. What did your PT recommend that you do for your pain, if I may ask?

Well, what started out as an easy Monday, where I thought I could leave work early and go home and scan documents (can't scan at work, printer scanner not connected to our computers, don't know why), turned into a day where I had to stay late, as some files needed updating before 5pm. I just completed my workout in sweltering weather again. It's all low impact in this 2-week challenge but I still managed to sweat up a storm. I'll go for a short walk after supper to get my steps in. I actually walked a lot more at work today than on previous days for some reason, so it will be a shorter walk. I've actually started new routines in my home life as well this month, trying to develop better habits all around. I'm especially working on tidying up at the end of the day, one room at a time. I started with the kitchen, and it just feels so good to have everything put away after supper, no visual clutter anywhere. It helps me achieve "peace of mind". Once I have that habit down pat, I'll add the living room, and so forth. Trying to get David to help is a whole other matter though...

Hope everyone has been enjoying a great start to the week!

8: rest day|STEPS: done |WATER: done
9: 34 minutes pilates workout + 14 minutes tai chi |STEPS: done |WATER: done
10: 26 minutes low impact cardio workout |STEPS: done |WATER: done