3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Any hope for losing weight if you are in mid-40s? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/318949-any-hope-losing-weight-if-you-mid-40s.html)

facingfacts12 05-13-2020 01:00 PM

Any hope for losing weight if you are in mid-40s?

I've been an on and off member over the span of a few years. I'm back trying to find inspiration and support now more than ever in the face of COVID-19. Is anyone else scared of contracting it and wondering if they will survive with all the bad prognosis for obese people?

I'm also worried because my metabolism isn't what it used to be, and losing weight is like pulling teeth. Meanwhile all I have to do is inhale some air with the smell of carbs and I gain a pound.

Wondering how successful are others who are trying to lose a substantial amount of weight in their mid-40s and what the rate of weight loss is?

curvynotlumpy 05-13-2020 02:08 PM

:wave: facingfacts12!

Sending a big :hug: your way! Yes, this COVID-19 pandemic is very scary. I'm happy that you're prioritizing your health and wellness and getting back to posting.

First, a disclaimer, I have regained a lot of the weight I lost but I am relaying my successful weight loss experience in my early 40s. Of course I'm an experiment of one but hopefully it will boost your optimism that it can be done. There were a couple of things that I originally did just to feel better because I was pretty inactive and ate lousy. First, I started walking. This wasn't power walking, just regular walks in my neighborhood and in the park. The second thing I did was eat recommended serving sizes. I didn't change what I ate in the beginning (that came later). For example, if a serving size of chips was 13 chips, I ate only 13 chips. Finally, I started drinking more water--a lot more water. This was all reasonable and doable for me. I committed to these things only.

Admittedly, I was hungry for the first couple of weeks because I wasn't eating the volume of food I was used to. This ended up being a blessing in disguise because it forced me to find ways to feed myself better with more nourishing foods. I noticed changes immediately in the way I felt. Getting outside every day (sometimes twice a day) did wonders for my mindset. I also slept better. I also saw a difference on the scale nearly every week. There were small drops each week. I'm sure the initial weight loss was a lot of water, but then weight began to drop and I started seeing small changes in how my clothes fit. As I felt better I began to experiment with different exercise routines and healthy eating.

It took me over a year and I managed to keep it off for nearly five years. Lots of life changes happened after that time; I got promoted and my workload increased significantly and I went through a tough breakup. Long story short, I lost my momentum and started cutting corners. Slowly but steadily my weight crept back up. Age didn't bring the pounds back; having no maintenance plan and thinking I was done with weight loss did. I'm working remotely and am trying to use the new "normal" as a time to re-focus on my health.

I have no doubt that you can do this facingfacts12! The fact that you've returned to 3FC says that you're thinking about this seriously. Your way is probably going to look different than mine and others and that's to be expected. As long as you're doing it healthily and safely that's all that matters. There is no right or wrong way but always remember to treat yourself kindly during the process. Good luck and keep posting!

Shades3 05-14-2020 07:35 PM

Weight Loss

Most Effective Way To Lose Weight
Cut back on carbs (sugar)
The most important thing to do is to cut back on sugar and starches or Carbohydrates. When you do that, your hunger levels go down and you can generally end up eating significant fewer calories.

Instead of burning carbs for energy, your body now starts burning stored fat for energy.

Another benefit of cutting carbs is that it lowers insulin levels, causing the kidney to shed excess sodium and water. This reduces bloating and unnecessary weight water.
One study in healthy women with obesity reported that a very low carb diet is more effective than a low fat diet for short term weight loss.

amelbeabk 09-23-2020 04:01 PM

I'm definitely not teeny tiny. I'm slightly taller than average and about 10kg heavier than comfortable weight (20kg heavier than lightest ever 20s weight but not imagining I'll see that again)!!!

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

William47 09-25-2020 01:21 PM

Hey Curv. Imagine seeing you here. You are amazing and inspire me to greater heights of awareness. You ROCK home girl.

So, as to the thread. Hope after 40? oh HECK YA!

I happen to know someone in their late 40's who have changed their whole prognosis. They quit Nicotene. They have lost 84 pounds in just the last year. They have sought counseling and have become ultra aware of compulsions and addictions that can effect our quality of living. They got a new job, that they LOVE. They spend more time with family and friends, QUALITY time. They have become a new person, filled with energy and Life. They have met the most wonderful and supportive people, including the most amazing woman on the planet. Ya, its me. I couldn't be more proud. I haven't had this much self worth and awareness since I started college about 10,000 years ago.

Listen...We Are In Our PRIME! Straight up! We are old enough to know what we want. Its just a matter of gathering tools for success and finding a support group to help when we stumble. I would love to add you to my support group, I think just being here, reaching out, is bad A** and you CAN absolutely find success after 40. There has never been so many tools. Just the amount of specialty foods available for dieters is remarkable. Do some research and try some different methods till you find one that works. Post and share, so as to tap into the huge resource of experience and support from this site. The people here are amazing, and so are you! You can do this, for sure!!!

Come on over to Suddenly September and meet the coolest! I will be looking for you! Where u at Carrot...:carrot: boom!

gzgrl22 10-11-2020 09:45 PM

I have probably lost 500 pounds or more over the years and gained a lot of it back at various times. It does indeed get tougher as you get older. You can't cheat, your calories probably need to drop, and you just don't process junk food and dairy like you used to but that doesn't mean you can't lose. This time around, I am losing faster than I ever have before but the difference is that I an totally focused and not giving in to that occasional cheat day or skipping that workout. I think that keeping your eye on the ball is the hardest part but if you can do that, you cannot fail. :cp:

VkyMalik 10-12-2020 01:59 AM

Here are 8 more tips to lose weight faster:
  1. Eat a high protein breakfast. ...
  2. Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice. ...
  3. Drink water before meals. ...
  4. Choose weight-loss-friendly foods. ...
  5. Eat soluble fiber. ...
  6. Drink coffee or tea. ...
  7. Base your diet on whole foods. ...
  8. Eat slowly.

Scriptfan 10-12-2020 09:43 AM

Hi there,

I am also in my mid-40's and have been on a very up and down weight loss journey but once again focusing my mind to try and crack this.
I suppose with the Pandemic, we all have a bit more time and less distraction (social anyway) to focus on ourselves.

Great to read through everyones advice - seems reducing carbs are the way forward! My nemesis!! There are 10 weeks left until the week before Christmas so I am targeting a loss of 20lbs before then. I would be delighted to be starting 2021 20lbs lighter!

Any advice greatly received, I have a ferocious sweet tooth, that's what drags me down constantly :(

ange82much 10-30-2020 08:27 PM

Of course you can lose weight in your mid 40's!
It means you've had some practice in the past so you're more experienced and more likely to succeed.

I did my best ever effort in 2018 when i was 50. It took me 6 months to go from 159lb to 114lb, so 28% loss ending up at a size 2-4ish (USA), and i kept it all off for over 18 months, and now i'm gradually back up to 125lb but aiming to get back to around 116 by January maybe (all still significantly lower than when i was in my 40's).

Mainly i counted calories to lose, and replaced starchy carbs with veg. And lowered the sugar. So a big plate of veg with some protein, forget the chips/batter/pasta/bread/potatoes/processed stuff, and now it's my preference anyway. The key is to find something whereby you can drop calories without being hungry (and for me that's the volume (veg) plus protein and non-saturated fats).

And as others have said, tightening up the weekend was important too (consistency) - it's easy to be good for 5 days then slack off on weekends and achieve nothing! (It's a good plan for maintenance though).