Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #31  
Gizmo

merowi2 welcome to the thread, and I'm wishing you success on getting in good health to avoid medication.

shellofself congratulations on doing a side plank! I can only do them off of my knees for now. It's good that you are trying new exercises, it will challenge your body and may help get that scale moving faster. Though don't even consider that latest number, one does not gain 4 pounds overnight. And I agree with you that weekends should always last 3 days.

Vladadog I admire your determination in sticking with your 5-week yoga course. I wonder if one can develop a love of yoga over time? Thanks for the kind words about being recognized at work.

WZin how amazing that you have been hitting all of your goals for 12 straight days! I see all those miles you are racking up, did you give yourself a monthly or yearly goal? Keep it going, you've really started this new year with a bang!

I didn't check in yesterday because by the time I completed my workout after work, it was almost 7pm and I was hungry and food comes first This morning I was not feeling it at all, I was just sooooo tired for some reason. I almost talked myself out of moving but I finally got everything done that I wanted before my afternoon/evening shift, ie preparing supper, walking Loki, folding laundry and doing a 48-minute workout. So far so good this week with longer workouts. Now time to get ready for work. I'm already counting down the days to a 4-day weekend next week.

Enjoy your day everyone!

1: 40-minute chair cardio and strength workout
2: 36-minute chair toning workout
3: 40 minutes upper body strength training
4:

5: 30 minutes fluid stretches workout
6: 33 minutes upper strength training and cardio intervals
7: 33 minutes weighted abs workout
8: 39 minutes lower body strength training
9: 38 minutes upper body strength training
10:
11: 32 minutes HIIT workout

12:47 minutes HIIT + lower body strength training
13: 49 minutes upper body strength training
14: 20 minutes cardio + 28 minutes core workout
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #32  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Well WZin, I know where your woosh went. I decided to weigh in this morning and I was down 3 pounds to a new, this time ‘round, low. 223.8. Maybe I will get my wish for a new decade by the end of the month.

I like IF because I sleep better at night and I feel more in control of my cravings. But I also tend to not keep tempting things at home. I did buy some tortilla chips earlier this month because I was getting a new toaster oven and I wanted to try making nachos... Bag didn’t last the day. Neither did my block of cheese. But man, those nachos were good. So this is why Vlad does not buy anything sweet or salty...

I honestly don’t think you can do IF, eat anything you want, and lose weight. Most of the people I see losing weight via IF also do keto or intentionally seriously restrict calories. I am watching my calories but after losing 100 pounds counting calories I don’t need MyFitnessPal to tell me how I’m doing. About the only big change I’ve made since starting IF is that I do my main exercise before breakfast. I do think that’s pretty important to help weight loss.

I hope you guys all have a great day!

Last edited by Vladadog; 01-14-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

Martine After months of slacking, I'm finally proud to report that I've just signed up to try a HITT Core/Resistance class tomorrow after work. Hope you had an infinitely better day today If nothing else, its like you said: it's almost the weekend!

WZin, 4 miles a day is really reasonable! While I haven't "worked out" I have consistently walked/jogged almost daily for the last several months. Full disclosure (I just checked my fitbit), my average is 3 miles a day with an elevated heart rate. I stick by my original statement though And...omgg... Vday candy. I asked my husband to "just not". I have zero self control when it comes to sweets lately. Congrats on seeing scale movement!

Vladadog Congratulations on your woosh!!! I 100% agree with your statement that "I honestly don’t think you can do IF, eat anything you want, and lose weight." At least that's true from my experience. If I eat badly (but stick to IF and a decent calorie range), my weight just remains stagnant.

_________
I am stillllll 185. Whyy?!?! I mean, I completely know why... my eating habits have blown lately. One day, I'll be meeting my calorie goals by eating perfectly healthy, filling meals. The next day, I'm maxing out my calorie limit with multiple servings of ramen noddles and chips, regretting the decision when I'm (1) super bloated and (2) so-very-hungry a few hours later. Meanwhile, my husband decided to go to the gym for the first time 5ish months yesterday. It inspired me to get off my butt and move too. Tomorrow I'll be attending my first fitness class since last summer. I've never been to a "Resistance/Core" class so fingers crossed it doesn't break me

Last edited by shellofself; 01-15-2020 at 05:10 PM.
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #34  
Shifty Werewolf

Had pizza for breakfast (after walking 2 miles though). Only 1 slice but it was a big slice. Bad Vlad. But it was so good.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #35  
Shifty Werewolf

WZin, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #36  
Gizmo

WZin very sorry to hear about your aunt's sudden passing. Sending warm thoughts to you and your entire family

Vladadog congratulations on your new all-time low! I wish us both to reach a new decade this month, we got this! Also, I totally relate on not being able to have any treats in the house. I buy a bag of chips or popcorn and it's GONE! I have this weird thinking that it's somehow not as bad if it's all gone in one day than eating some every day...(?!)

shellofself I am very intrigued about that resistance/core class you took, how was it? It's great that your husband decided to get moving as well. I'm trying to motivate mine, as he has quite a bit of weight to lose from being inactive for so long following his shoulder surgery, but so far no luck.

I took a rest day yesterday, since my ankle had been bothering me on Tuesday, didn't want to push it too much. Today I went for a 50-minutes pilates workout. 50 minutes of pilates is reaaalllyyyy long. But I wanted to do something different than HIIT or strength training for my lower body and I got a very good burnout. Now onto supper (vegetarian meatloaf and mashed potatoes) and then we'll relax and continue watching The Mandalorian. "Baby Yoda" has to be the cutest character ever created.

Hope everyone has a relaxing evening.

4:

10:

15:
16: 50 minutes pilates workout
Old 01-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 291.1/ticker/161

Height: 5'11.5"

Shellofself: thanks for the well wishes! Way to go on fitting into your swearing-in dress and breaking that 185 barrier!!

Wzin: I’m with you on being flexible so long as nothing changes I think Gilmore Girls said it best: “I can be flexible. As long as everything is exactly the way I want it, I’m totally flexible.” I totally hear you on the cooking of certain veggies “just so.”

Martine: thanks! The long walk with Loki was my last hurrah, I spent the next two days in bed and then it was mostly out of my system. There was lots of soup and tea involved. Almost back to normal now though 50 minutes of Pilates is incredible! I’m curious about your vegetarian meatloaf; do you follow a specific recipe?

Gulfmagnolia, Wantochange, Merowi2, & Vladadog:

Playing catchup here (can you tell my semester started ) i had the joy of a wonderful cold the past week and a half, and i noticed a big spike in weight at the start of this week… between water retention from doing yoga for the first time in a week and a half and probably the first time ovulating since my IUD was placed (sorry if that’s TMI!). Slowly working it back off. I didn’t go over on carbs that I know of, but it is a very big spike

1/7: 218.5
12/31: 221.8
GW: 214.4

Week 2:
1/8: 219.0 (+0.5)
1/9: 220.5 (+1.5)
1/10: 220.7 (+0.2)
1/11: 218.1 (-1.6)
1/12: NWI
1/13: 220.5 (-0.2)
1/14: 221.8 (+1.3)
Total for week 2: +3.3
Total for January: +/-0

Week 3:
1/15: 224.1 (+6.0)
1/16: 223.6 (-0.5)
1/17: 222.5 (-1.1)
RunningRedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #38  
Gizmo

Just a quick check-in for me, as I have to get ready for my afternoon/evening shift. Really can't wait for my 4-day weekend next week. This morning I did some kickboxing with some abs work intervals. It's -25°C/-13°F here this morning so we had to turn up the heat in our apartment and with the sun coming through, the room where I set up my computer and exercise mat feels like a sauna.

Hope everyone enjoys their Friday!

4:

10:

15:
17: 50 minutes kickboxing and core work intervals
Old 01-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #39  

WZin I'm sorry to hear about your aunt passing. Sending you hugs and well wishes. ♥

Martine The class was part this (resistant band arm exercises) and this (stability ball ab workouts). I couldn't do half the stability ball ab workouts to save my life. I commanded my body to move a certain way, and it just wouldn't move. I left the class so shaky and sweaty... And I woke up sore. I can't wait for next week! I'm hoping to start going twice a week. I know myself better than to try and do more than that for now. But maybe, just maybe, one day I'll reach your level of commitment! ... The Mandalorian is so great! It's probably the only show my husband and I both equally enjoy; usually one of us feels "meh" about the other person's pick. Also, an hour of Pilates solo is hard! It's something I can force myself to finish if I'm in a class, surrounded by people, but I usually quit if it's just me following a video at home. Props to you for sticking to it all the way through!!

RunningRedHead Boo to spikes! I can't believe there isn't a scale sophisticated enough to be able to tell the difference between actual weight gain and just an increase in water/temporary bloat. (If there is, someone share with a link!) Here's to having a wonderful semester though

___
Very sore all over this morning after my first fitness class in months. It was at a small, local studio & everyone was so friendly and supportive! (I'm trying to support more local businesses this year. I've lived in this town for almost two years and I've visited more local businesses in the past two weeks than I have those 2 years ). I ended up taking a spot right next to the fittest 60-something year old I've ever seen. She made all the moves look so effortlessly and put my 30-something butt to shame! It was beyond inspiring. Hoping to be back next week for a different class.

Still the same. 184.6. I truly hope this isn't my forever home weight.

Last edited by shellofself; 01-17-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #40  
Gizmo

RunningRedHead we were posting at about the same time yesterday and I didn't see your post. I hope you are feeling better and that your body is getting rid of that bloat. As for the vegetarian meatloaf that I make, I use this recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/really-g...f-really-33921 I make some tweaks and it turns out really good in my opinion.

shellofself that class sounds sooooo difficult! I don't have much stability on my own two feet, forget a stability ball! Kudos to you for trying new things and feeling motivated to go at it again. I guess I'm the opposite of you in regards to the fact that I don't enjoy doing exercises around people. I find it intimidating more than inspiring.

So after a not-so-busy day at work (it's so cold people are not going out shopping I guess), I completed an upper and lower body active stretches workout. My first time trying those two workouts and it was interesting and challenging. I have to admit that I switched to static stretches a few times, being unable to hold some of the positions to get any stretching out of them, but I know I will try it again in the future and see if I improve. Time for an easy supper as David has caught a bug and is not feeling well and I don't feel like cooking.

Hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful weekend so far!

4:

10:

15:
18: 17 minutes lower body + 14 minutes upper body active stretches workouts
Old 01-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #41  
Gizmo

WZin very sorry to hear about your knee issues, but here you are still finding ways to stay active. How neat that you weighed less at the doctor's office than at home, that never happens to me. They say it's just a number...until that number at home is lower than at the doctor's.

I could not get in a workout yesterday after work, as I had to head to my in-laws to feed their birds and water their plants (it's like a forest in their home, I kid you not). Even if my colleague told me to leave an hour early, since the store was very quiet, we still managed to get back home only at around 7:30pm. Today I am back at it and my goal this week is to complete workouts that last more than 50 minutes. I just completed a totally different type of workout for me: tabata-style upper body strength training. For each exercise, you do 20 seconds on/10 seconds off, 8 times through. I realized VERY quickly during the first exercise that I would have to drop my weight significantly from what I usually lift, as this workout was more about muscle endurance than pure strength. I have a lower body version of this tabata-style workout planned later this week, I hope I'll survive.

Hope everyone has enjoyed a great start to the week!

4:

10:

15:

19:
20: 57 minutes tabata-style upper body strength training
Old 01-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #42  
Cupcake lover

S/C/G: 270/260/135

Height: 5'5

Vlada How’s the yoga going?

Wzin I hope your knee gets to feeling better. I’m so very sorry for your loss, but may I say, I would be proud to be described as “she was always so happy/lively. I don't ever remember her being sad or mad.” What a lady...

Shell Your workout class sounds intense! Cheers

Redhead Hoping your spike is down and everything evens out soon. Hormones make me crazy!!!

Martine You are killing your workouts

My first MAJOR goal, the one I keep reminding myself of, is that I’d like to be 200lbs or under by my birthday July 2. That would be a 71lb loss in 6 months. It’s a lofty goal that is likely not attainable (for me) in a healthy way. BUT I feel like when I reach a little higher, I do better. When I get the munchies or start talking myself into a greasy, fast fix, I think of my goal and try to power through. Sometimes numbers on the scale are the only tangible thing I have, so I’m clinging to them for the time being.

Hoping everyone has a productive week

1/1/20: 269.6
1/10/20: 265.8
1/20/20: 262

Start: 270lbs
Quarter: 236.25lbs (33.75 lost)
Halfway: 202.5lbs (67.5 lost)
Three-quarter: 168.75lbs (10 1.25 lost)
GOAL: 135lbs (135 lost)

Last edited by gulfmagnolia; 01-21-2020 at 01:18 AM.
gulfmagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #43  
Gizmo

gulfmagnolia I see nothing wrong with shooting for a higher goal if it motivates you further. Each week I write an uplifting saying on the employee's communication board and a couple of weeks ago, I wrote: When you shoot for the Moon, the worst you can do is reach outer space (loose translation from French). Seems fitting for what you are aiming for.

After being awoken at 4:30am by our store's alarm company (cellular connection was lost and that triggered the alarm), I was feeling so sluggish this morning, I almost talked myself out of working out. But I found my second wind after preparing veggie burritos for supper and taking Loki out for his morning walk, and I completed an active/static lower body strength training set with HIIT intervals. For example, you do 45 seconds of weighted squats and then you hold that squat for 45 seconds. And then there's HIIT that kill your legs even more. I wonder how my legs will feel by the end of the day/tomorrow...Time to start getting ready for my afternoon/evening shift.

Enjoy your day everyone!

4:

10:

15:

19:
21: 55 minutes active/static lower body strength training with HIIT intervals
Old 01-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #44  
Gizmo

Happy Thursday everyone!

WZin how can a doctor just ASK you your weight? And can he be my doctor? Actually I haven't had a family doctor in years due to my old one changing her line of work. I have had the same obgyn for years though and he has only weighed me once in all that time. Good for you for your honesty. I'm a big fan of integrity. I see that you are gradually increasing your mileage, glad your knee is feeling better.

So yesterday I didn't get my workout in, as I got home from work at 7pm and after a quick bite, we had to head over to my in-laws in Montréal again to feed their birds and water their plants. I am back at it today, completing a 60-minutes workout made up of rounds of variations on two HIIT exercises and one core exercise, all the way through. I had done this workout a looooooong time ago but I still find it hard because I don't do well on core exercises when I'm out of breath. Now I have to figure out how to sneak in an extra workout during the next three days, so I can reach my goals of 6 workouts per week this month. I did add a Yoga with Adrienne video to my list this week, wanting to try a real full-length yoga workout for the first time, so I'll see when I can work it in. I find I'm trying new styles of exercising this month, to see how my body reacts and if the pounds go down any faster. I know I'm definitely stronger and healthier but the scale moves at a snail's pace, for real.

On a totally unrelated note, I've been trying to find a large magnifying glass for my father, who can see fine from afar but can't read right now. I need something with more than 2-3X magnification. I've also been contacting private clinics to see how much the procedure costs because right now, he's on a 4-6 MONTHS waiting list, minimum. I'm more than willing to pay for this procedure so he can see better and do his beloved crossword puzzles again. If you have recommendations for magnifying glass, I appreciate it.

Now starting my 4 days off, I can't seem to relax much today, too many chores and tasks to get done and things on my mind. Maybe if I get as much as possible done before the weekend, THEN I'll truly relax for a couple of days...

4:

10:

15:

19:
21: 55 minutes active/static lower body strength training with HIIT intervals
22:
23: 60 minutes HIIT and core intervals

Last edited by Martine; 01-23-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #45  

gulfmagnolia Congratulations on your loss this month so far! If we're making goals, might as well goal big or go home

Martine So how jiggly do your legs feel now?! (I feel like I get delayed soreness when I work out my legs, so day 2 or 3 is always more painful than the day of or day 1). Unfortunately, I have no recommendations for a magnifying glass. Hope you find some relaxation on your time off! I'm the same way on my first day off—running errands/doing chores/being "too productive" as my husband would say.

WZin 4:30 is late?! What is early/normal for you? I get up every morning around 5-5:30. I can't fathom anything earlier. Props to you for (1) having such a cool doctor and (2) being honest about your weight!

____
Still at 185. It's my curse. I'm just trying to work past the number on the scale. My office is participating in a state-wide office fitness competition. The office reporting the highest amount of fitness minutes between now and March wins. Each person participating has to do 150 minutes a week--which is cake since I can count my daily walking. But I'm using it as motivation to do 150 minutes each week of what I think of as "real exercise" aka HITT/strength training/core/things I don't want to do but should do. I did a core and glutes class on Tuesday, and I have my resistance class tonight. Baby steps