Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

It sure made me think about what I was doing when that happened to her.
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Biddy View Post
I don't believe that anyone should try to lose either two pounds a day or one pound a day. That's just too fast, in my opinion.

In women most plans indicate a one to two pound weight loss per week, depending on what you are eating and how you are exercising. It's important to start and continue something that is realistic and that will work for you long term. We all want to lose weight quickly (don't I know it ) but you want to make sure you are getting all your nutrients and not cutting out important parts of a good diet.

One of my friends, a woman who was about 50 at the time, went a bit bonkers in an attempt to lose weight quickly and went on a super-limited diet. She ended up in the hospital with gall stones.

Is there a nutrition centre, or a physician that could assist you with some of your questions?
I actually didn't know that but I do want to be healthier and not just lose weight.
I figured 1,500 calories but GOOD ones.
The red tea detox kit I ordered actually comes with a nutrition guide and a workout plan. It isn't focused soley on the red tea.
Until then I've just been sticking with turning everything white I used to eat into wheat.
Wheat pasta and bread and brown rice. I've been drinking green tea and water instead of sodas.
I DO NOT want gallstones, I didnt even realize that was possible!
I am eating a lot better than when I first posted on this forum though
Weightlosshopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Old Biddy you raise a great point! A lot of people develop gallstones with rapid weight loss! IT is very very very important to get adequate fiber and water during weight loss .......... I lost 130lbs on average 2lbs a week.........and had no issues but I am also eating a lot of veggies and my average fiber intake is about 40 grams a day
I need to work on getting more veggies in my diet.
That is defintely something I need to work on
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

You're a good sport with all of our advice and conversation, Weightlosshopeful.
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Biddy View Post
You're a good sport with all of our advice and conversation, Weightlosshopeful.
You guys give good advice and I can tell you want to help!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I think the most important first step is to figure exactly what you ARE eating. Write down (or sign up for a food tracking site or app) every single bite that goes in your mouth for a few weeks. That means you have to actually measure the food, so you learn what a portion size really looks like, because most people underestimate what they eat, usually by 30% or more. You don't necessarily have to track forever, but you DO need to be honest and accurate for a while so you get a feel for what is happening. And that means if you eat 2 M&Ms, you log those. If you take a bite off someone else's plate, you log that. EVERY BITE! It also includes condiments and dressings. And drinks, whether it be alcohol, soda, juice, whatever.

Most people find, when doing this, that they are actually eating a lot more than they think. Either they are eating a lot larger portions than they should be, or they are mindlessly snacking through the day and evening.

Once you know what you are consuming, you can look to make changes. Personally, I suggest making small changes gradually that you can stick with long term. Like drinking 2 less sodas a week. Or eating smaller portions. Try mixing in one vegetable or fruit into each meal, or if that is too much, then start with 2 meals a week. Whatever baby steps you can DO and STICK WITH until they become habit. Once you are used to that change, mix in a new improvement. For me, the biggest changes were cutting back on breads and milk and sugar. I didn't cut anything completely out, but I went from 2 loaves of bread a week to only a few slices a week and regular "wheat" bread to whole wheat. I went from 3 gallons of milk a week to less than 1, and I went from lots and lots of sugar every day to just a bit of chocolate most days.

My philosophy is to always do a little better this week than I did last week, even if it is just 1% better in 1 way. Over time, that adds up to big sustainable changes.

By doing it this way, I've lost 70 pounds in 11 months and never really been overly hungry (I'm hungry at mealtimes, but I never feel starving or deprived). Also, because the changes were gradual, I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I could eat this way forever. I still sometimes eat fast food, cake, cookies, etc, I just eat them less and make healthier fast food choices and use moderation on the rest.

Anyway, that is one option. But the biggest thing I've learned in this process is that what works perfectly for one person won't work at all for someone else. Some people aren't good at moderation, they do better with eliminating food groups entirely. If you are that type, you might do better with a Keto or Vegetarian way of eating.

Whatever you do, try to view it as a lifestyle change, rather than a diet. If you "go on a diet", you will eventually "finish" the diet, start eating poorly again and put all the weight back on, plus more. Instead, try to view it as a process of changing your way of eating for the long term.
That all sounds like excellent advice and I never argue with success and 70 lbs in 11 months is excellent , for me personally the extreme tracking suggested takes it too far am I supposed to go buy a triple beam scale to precisely measure every last thing ? I've never tried tracking intake but it has been suggested to me by my nephroligist. If I did do it I'd settle on estimating some things because I have no way to precisely measure some things short of buying a triple beam scale. I could do the tracking thing I'm good at record keeping, I already record my blood pressure and weight readings regularly for the doctor, I'd just have to estimate some of it if I were to try this, I am tempted to give it a go since it is my kind of thing ,a lot of items can be figured exactly. Just doing it and looking back at what you actually consumed could tell you a lot, I should do it and likely will. I know it wasn't directed at me specifically but it got me thinking

Thanks
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

A lot of us our on plans where we weigh our food and it becomes 2nd nature! Triple beam? You can get an accurate digital balance for under $20 that can do grams or ounces and has a tare feature. It may seem extreme to start but when it becomes a matter of habit it is not. Takes me 15 minutes a day to plan my menu. and seconds to weight as I am prepping food. Plenty of free and cheap food logging aps
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight loss, weight loss goals, weight loss group, weight loss help, weight loss journey