Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

, Casey, getting down to and surpassing your all time-low! I was wondering if getting kiddos ready for school had something to do with your absence. And on that note, a BIG to you on your return to school! I have so many questions. What are you studying ? Are you taking a class or two to get back into the swing of things or a full course load? What an exciting time!!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 291.1/ticker/161

Height: 5'11.5"

Casey: Way to rebound from TOM. I can’t imagine how busy you must be getting the kiddos and yourself ready for school! I’m going back to school this fall (a bit spontaneously), and I can’t imagine what it would be like if I had a whole family to take care of on top of it! A big to you on surpassing your all time low and going back to school!

Tanglewood was great last night. A Quiet Place wasn’t quite my cup of tea, but the actors were absolutely fantastic and the orchestra was amazing. It was in my favorite hall on the grounds too, so that was a plus. Today’s plan includes all the vacuuming, laundry, grocery shopping and meal prepping for the next three nights of work (I picked up an extra night on Monday again), luckily we’re usually short on a night that falls in line with my schedule so I can get my three in a row out of the way. Happy Friday everyone, I hope you all enjoy your weekend.

SW:254.8
8/7: 261.0
GW: 249

Week 2:
8/8: 256.9 (-4.1)
8/9: 257.1 (+0.2)
8/10: 255.8 (-1.3)
8/11:
8/12:
8/13:
8/14:
RunningRedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #33  

and happy Friday!

to Casey and RunningRedHead on their return to school As an educator you have no idea how your news makes my heart sing! I hope you'll consider keeping us posted on your respective journeys.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #34  

Thanks Curvy! I finally pulled the trigger on my Master's program. I graduated with my BSN last May and told myself I could have one year off from school as it had been 8 years of school and I think we needed a break from each other I was helping a woman on my unit with one of her research papers and it made me realize how much I missed it.

Work tonight should be good; I'll be in charge instead of in an assignment, which always makes the night go by quickly. It's a nice, rainy weekend here, which is doing nothing to help my laziness today I have to finish up my laundry from yesterday and make my dinner for tonight (which will be a simple low carb wrap with cold cuts), a small spinach salad, almonds, and I may bring some ice cream as a cold treat.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Week 2:
8/11: 255.8 (+/-0)
8/12:
8/13:
8/14:
Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #35  
Gizmo

​​​​​opheliaphoenix ah back-to-school time, I remember loving shopping for school supplies as a kid. I was a weird kid. Congratulations on going back to school yourself. What courses will you be taking? And congratulations as well on hitting an all-time low with your weight! Must be as exciting as getting into Onederland.

RunningRedHead going for your Masters is a tremendous undertaking, I tip my hat to you. What is a BSN and in what field is your Masters program? I used to love studying but after getting my college diploma, I was burned out.

Finally humidity is going down and I’m itching to go out and walk but I can’t as I can’t wear shoes and be on my feet for long as I still have missing pieces of skin at the back of my feet from wearing those new shoes without socks and it’s still very sensitive. At least now that the humidity is going down, we are more enclined to cook so it should help me get back on track food-wise. Hope everyone is enjoying a great wekeend!

Last edited by Martine; 08-12-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #36  

Good morning

I hope everyone has had a good weekend. Not a lot to report on here. Yesterday for dinner I made a hash with Yukon Gold potatoes, bell pepper and diced onions and topped it with an over-easy egg. It's a recipe I took from a blog I regularly read. Because it's been so hot I avoid turning on the oven and this sounded so good and filling and a way around creating more heat. The bonus is that I have leftovers for a couple of days and even have extra potatoes as I didn't want to make it overwhelmingly "carby" if you know what I mean . Tonight I'm having dinner out with a few friends, one who lost her husband last October. It should be a good time.

Martine: I'm so happy to hear that the humidity is dropping where you live. Life is just so much more enjoyable when you don't feel like you're walking around in a wet blanket. Glad your feet are feeling well also. Don't know where exactly you're missing skin but I've found relief with blisters and cuts when I apply the Band-Aids that have the Neosporin already included. Things heal more quickly and I do feel a reduction in pain.

RunningRedHead: You did a good thing for yourself by taking a break from school. It is a common piece of advice I give to undergraduates. I let them know that "college/university/additional degrees are not going anywhere." And Martine, being burnt out after you complete your degree is something I hear all the time. There are so many other worthwhile things in life to do so take the opportunity while you have the chance. With that said I know from the conversations I have with students that a fair number of them seek advanced education not necessarily because they want it at the time but because heading out into the working world scares them. I'm wish I were exaggerating but

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-12-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 199/154/125

Height: 5'3"

curvynotlumpy, What food blog do you regularly read? Would love to see it.

Martine, I am also not a fan of humidity. Sorry to hear about your foot pain, I hate it when that happens.

RunningRedHead, Congrats on pursuing schooling again, hope you enjoy it!

opheliaphoenix, Congrats on the new low and hitting the 160s, yay! Great work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not been updating here as much as I should but I have still been working consistently hard on the weight loss with a solid diet and exercise plan. A couple of days ago I entered a new decade and have been 158 for a couple of days, which feels great. I still have that annoying voice in my head that thinks I should have made more progress and is not happy with how I look/feel, but luckily that voice is minor compared to how proud I feel that I've made a big, fairly sustained (going on 6 months) commitment to my health and have made a lot of progress. Unfortunately my work stress has skyrocketed because the failure to get the grant has led to tough and surprising conversations with the higher ups questioning my future at my workplace, and exposing that one of my two bosses does not respect my intellectual contributions. I am extremely upset about it and thought about quitting, but am going to give myself more time to recover emotionally and weigh my options. I'm setting up a lot of conversations with other colleagues and friends to get advice and support. I am determined to not let the work issues get in the way of my physical/mental health progress however, so am going to keep committing to diet/exercise and not using food to comfort myself. I'm still in a raw emotional state to where it's impinging on my enjoyment of life stuff (working out, spending time with family/friends), but I am going to keep throwing myself into those things rather than hiding under the covers in hopes that the negative emotions pass soon.
jazzfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #38  
Gizmo

jazzfan22 I commend you on your consistency and a huge congratulations on reaching a new decade, all of this despite a stressful time at work. I'm glad that you are able to find support from friends and colleagues and that you are taking your time in assessing your situation

curvynotlumpy I have been putting on Polysporin and Band-aids to try and help with the backs on my feet, I guess that's similar to what you use when you get blisters and cuts. There is some improvement, I can sleep now without any bandages,, but I can't walk for long periods with shoes on.

Since I couldn't go out much while my feet heal some more, I've used this 3-day weekend to watch a few more episodes of season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale and a few movies: Blade Runner (which I had never seen), Blade Runner 2049 (it captured the feel of the first movie really well I thought) and American Made. And now we're watching a documentary on Netflix about table tennis called Top Spin. Our choices were really all over the place and all were entertaining.

Last edited by Martine; 08-12-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #39  

Martine: Glad to hear the humidity is breaking by you. I hope your blisters get better soon! I loved shopping for school supplies as a kid too! (I still do ) A BSN is a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing. Thank you! My Masters will be in nursing education; I’m hoping to do my capstone (basically an internship of sorts) with one of the instructors I had when I was in nursing school or one of the women on my unit who may go back to teaching. Glad to hear you’re taking your three-day weekend to relax, watch some good shows/movies and allow your feet to heal

Curvy: Your dinner sounds amazing, and bonus points for leftovers! I hope you enjoy dinner out with your friends! I’m nervous about going back but looking forward to it at the same time if that makes any sense. I was definitely burned out after graduating last year, so I definitely think I needed the break. I can see where the people who stay in school for life do so out of fear of the real world lol. I always joked when I first started college that I would be in school forever to avoid paying back the loans (I do pay them though ).

Jazzfan: So sorry to hear about your work troubles. I’m glad you’re staying strong and not letting the stress impact your weight loss efforts. on a new decade (and staying there) and sticking to your guns. Good luck to you as you weigh your options

I have an extra shift tonight, which won’t be so bad because it’s only eight hours instead of twelve. It always feels like when I was a kid and got to go into school late for whatever reason. Just that little bit of a shorter day makes me giddy My plan is to finish up my coffee, eat some “breakfast” and pack a small snack before work. I was planning to walk Loki with my friend, however there are some nice thunderstorms rolling through here, so that’s off the table Have a great Monday night, everyone!

SW: 254.8

Week 2:
8/12: 255.8 (+/-0)
8/13: 254.7 (-1.1)
8/14:
Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #40  

and good afternoon!

I hope everyone is having a productive and good Tuesday. This afternoon I'll be reviewing submissions for the the scholarships we offer to our students +25 years and/or single parents. Each scholarship is $5,000 and we're able to award ~20 each year. These students all have amazing stories so it is often difficult to select who gets awarded. I'm happy that there are 15 other readers as well.

jazzfan: It is understandable that you aren't checking in as often as you like. You have a lot on your proverbial plate and your work environment sounds extra stressful . It is heartbreaking to know that your intellectual abilities are being questioned and unfortunately this is all too common in certain settings. It also sounds more than a little threatening if they're using your rejected grant to hold over your head. Like grants are so easy to get---NOT . I'm proud of your resiliency and ability to rise above it and use this time to strategize your next move(s). I know it's very difficult but don't let them steal your joy. Those moments working out or spending time with friends and family are exactly what you need at this time. Btw, the blog I regularly read is runs for cookies and I really enjoy it. I was first drawn to it because of the author's personal weight loss story and running connection, but it contains all kinds of entries including recipes, that are organized well.

RunningRedHead: Nursing is such a competitive field so on achieving the BSN AND getting accepted into a Master's program. Several of my former students have gone through or are preparing to go on to earn their RN (registered nurse) degree and describe the competition as fierce. I hope your double shift went exactly as planned .

Martine: Your Netflix day sounds exquisite! What a relaxing way to stay off and forget about your sore, achy feet. the Band-Aids you describe sound the same.

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-15-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #41  

Just a quick check-in for me as I still have a handful of applications to read and we're packing up the center in preparation for the remodel that will begin on Friday. Today was the last day of Transfer Orientation. It's been a long six days but I have no complaints. It really went well and I enjoy meeting the new students and their parents. Everyone is by the prospect of a new school year . The weather has cooled significantly so this is adding to my positive outlook . I've been craving hard-boiled eggs for breakfast so that's on my agenda when I get home.

Happy hump day!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #42  

Curvy: Wow! How rewarding to be able to be able to award scholarships to deserving people. I can see how that must be a difficult task, I’m glad to hear you have others who will be able to narrow down the candidates. I hope all goes well with the renovation and beginning of the new school year

I ended the week with a decent loss, but considering last week was +6.2, I’ll consider this upcoming week my fresh start. I can’t believe we’re almost halfway through the month already! Hope everyone has a great night!

Week 2:
8/12: 255.8 (+/-0)
8/13: 254.7 (-1.1)
8/14: 254.3 (-0.4)
Total for Week 2: -6.7
Total for August: -0.5
Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #43  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy how amazing to be able to give so many great scholarships to worthy students. How does your team come to a consensus on who gets the scholarships? Hope the remodel goes smoothly, how long is it supposed to take?

RunningRedHead it's as if you've hit the rerest button and are now moving forward. I Never understood why nurses are scheduled for such long shifts all the time. I do a couple of 12-hour shifts and I'm down for the count. I don't know how you do it regularly.

I have the day off and it's cooler this morning and I'm able to wear my shoes and walk again, so I'll take Loki on a nice long walk. But really what I need is rest. My chronic lack of sleep is starting to affect me. I am going to talk to a pharmacist about ZZZQuiil or other non-habit-forming options to help me stay asleep, cause only 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep is not enough. Other than that I'm waiting for an Amazon order of temporary rainbow tattoos I bought for the Pride parade in Montréal on Sunday. I have 5 employees attending with me and I thought it would make for a nice simple little gift and something fun to "wear". When I first started talking to our employees about the parade, I was anxious about their reaction and if any of them would want to participate, because we didn't know them very well at that time. But I was so pleased to see a lot of positivity and genuine excitement from the ones who added their names to the list of participants on the poster I had prepared. One of them will be attending with her father, one of them will bring her 11-year-old daughter, a couple more will bring a friend or two, we'll be a nice little group representing our new store for our company.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #44  

and good afternoon!

Thanks for all the good wishes on the renovation prep. Packing is pretty much complete and now we're waiting for the folks from Special Services to come over and relocate our belongings for the month. Tomorrow is the big move where they take nearly all of our old furniture. The cooler weather has stuck around so that will make things easier on the workers. I also want us to be as organized as possible to not cause undue delays.

Martine: We use an online system called Submittable which allows all candidates to submit their application materials. It also allows for multiple readers and can be set up so that applications are read blindly. Applications are scored on the students' essay, extra curricular activities, need and strength of their respective recommender's letter. In previous years it was a completely paper system but with the volume of application materials we received it just wasn't sustainable for the long term. Enjoy your day off and be gentle on your feet as they are just recovering. Sending that your doctor will be able to help with your sleep issues. As I get older I recognize more and more my need for good sleep. I'm sure that goes for all of us .

RunningRedHead: on your monthly loss. That must have been nice to see on the scale after having bumped up more than you anticipated. Yes, it is a great privilege to be able to help so many students. The money for the scholarships comes from two foundations who partnered with the university. They are specifically for +25 students and are the only awards of their kind offered at our university.

Wishing everyone a great day! Casey, if you're reading and have some time, let us know how you are and how school is going.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #45  

Martine: Glad to hear your feet are healing and you’re able to wear shoes (I’m sure Loki is glad for it too)! I hope you all have fun at the Pride Parade; what a wonderful idea to do an open invite to coworkers at the new store!

Curvy: Sometimes I think getting everything packed, organized, and moved is more work than the actual renovation! Wishing you and your office luck with the move and may the cool weather stick around some more

I think I lost a day somewhere! I went to put today’s weigh-in down on my template and realized the dates didn’t line up. The news (I suppose) is that my weight has been the same down to the tenth for the last three days, so I didn’t mess up my running total I’m doing a 5 lb challenge over on the Chicks Up For a Challenge forum and it reset today; when entering my new SW and GW, I realized that I’m less than 5 lbs away from a new decade and if I make it to my challenge goal, I will also meet my monthly goal

Have a great Thursday everyone!

SW: 254.8
8/14: 254.3

Week 3:
8/15: 254.3 (+/-0)
8/16: 254.3 (+/-0)
8/17:
8/18:
8/19:
8/20:
8/21: