Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 276.4/215/160

Height: 5'6

Lets try this again!

Lil: Your trips sound AMAZING! I might hit you up when we start to plan. We will probably have to take smaller trips for a couple years to save for it, but you all make it sound like it is well worth it! I really want to see Black Panther. We went to the new Maze Runner this last weekend and it was also really good. I was a bit jumpy in the movie...LOL

Lemon: Jotints? Well I deal with this daily. I usually push through because there is not a day I don't have pain in my hands, knees, ankles, shoulders, neck, and toes. I usually modify exercises so they are easier on the joints. I also take a butt load of supplements. If you don't eat a lot of fish like me I highly suggest fish oil pills, vitamin D, Magnesium, B complex, and tumeric. Food and kids? I don't pay much attention to their snacks. I don't like things in boxes too much. I usually have a hard time when my husband brings homemade goodies or bakes. But if it is out of my eating window I ignore it. Sometimes I mess up but I either fast longer or just go on. I have failed with eating right in the past because I give up so easy. My body doesn't lose weight weekly, it likes to lose every other week for the most part and it becomes very frustrating. I am actually thinking of weighing every other week.

Diane: Looks like you have a steady weight loss. That is so nice! I wish my body was a weekly weight loss type. Did you get more snow?

Toasted: You sound so busy lady! Is it summer there? Do you have four seasons, or is it hot all year? That sounds so hard with the air conditioning. Are you part of the water crisis that is going on? I am glad that I am not the only one that paces. My kids sure do look at me weird when I start pacing around. Then they will start copying me and following me....LOL At least they are getting some steps in. I did the squat/pushup/planks challenge. I think that really helped me start to get more work outs in. Anything that gets us moving, right? Google Heidi and Chris Powell and carb cycling and you will come up with a ton of articles on it. All the information they have is awesome. They use to do a weight loss show too...you might be able to google that. It was very inspiring.

Uber: You look like you had a great scale move. Have you started on solids? How is that going? I hope that all is well with you!

Laurie: I hope you are having a great week and all is well!

Me: I did go to a movie this last weekend the Maze Runner. The smell of popcorn was torture. I am struggling with my body wanting to hold on to fat for two weeks before it gives me any kind of real movement. I have gotten all my steps in for a week since I got my Garmin. I have also done at least 3 workouts a week. My food has been on point, so I just don't get the stupid scale. I know mentally I need to get over it. I need to just put it up for 2 weeks and weight 2 times a month. I am proud that I am almost 40 pounds down and really want to succeed this time!
jenjenangel027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #257  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Lemon: Good for you for getting the walking going again! Sounds like you did a good walk today! And then our bodies somewhat rebel against the movement and give us pain. Ugh! Hopefully it will get better as you keep going. Oh, and beef heart. Can't help you with that, it definitely isn't something I would choose. My mother-in-law loved it when we gave her the elk heart from hunting. I never understood that either.

Lilion: Dang! I have a sewing machine that is really old, too. I think it is a 1960 something model, and it was my Grandma's. But, I don't sew much, so it gets lots of rest. Hopefully you can get one to work and get your stuff done! Oh, and I think 2 pounds is ok with all the stuff you've been going through lately! Hang in there!!

Jen: Wow! You smelled that movie popcorn and didn't cave in! That takes discipline! Good job! I have been losing fairly steadily lately and I think it is more that I'm coming back down after my regain. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with shocking my body with less food and more exercise, so it seems to be moving well. I hope it can keep going, but I also know that those times come that nothing happens. I'm also getting close to the 40 pounds down (again). I'm looking forward to getting there and moving past!!

For me, I went up by .6 pounds this morning. I need to be ok with that, since it seems to be what I do on Wednesdays. I went to Body Pump last night, and it was a good workout. I'm hoping that it was such a good workout that it made me retain a little bit of something. I'd like to be below 255 for Monday's weigh in. Food was on plan yesterday, so if I'm honest, I was a little miffed to see my weight go up. I talk big that it won't bother me, but it does cause a little bit of miffed-ness. Onward!

I went to spin this morning. My spin instructor wants to go to Body Pump tomorrow, so I told her I'd go with her. She doesn't want to go in alone since it has been a while since she was there. I like her a lot, so I said I'd go! Oh boy. Should be a good workout!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #258  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hi everybody!

Wow! So much activity here it's hard to keep up!

Lemon Regarding the recipes, I'm not much help because I am always in a rut myself. I never know what to cook, and my mom, who is diabetic lives with me, and my 12-year-old is picky, so it's just hard to figure out what to cook night after night. I've had really good luck with some of the recipes from here:https://cooking.nytimes.com/collections Some are kind of fussy and have a lot of ingredients, but I look for the simpler ones and I've never made one that I didn't like. As far as me being a writer, I knew I wanted to be a writer from the time I was a little kid, but I didn't start trying to write for publication until I was older, and it took me quite a while to build up a career.

Jen It sometimes seems like the movie popcorn is just irresistible-- it's that darn smell! You are doing so great losing almost 40 lbs! What an achievement! But I 100% hear you on the balky scale. My body is the same way. I weigh every day, but I really really want to cut back and weigh less often as it just gets inside my head.

Lilion It's great that you're keeping your head in the game! I find that even if the scale goes up and down, it's okay as long as you don't get discouraged and want to give up entirely! I think after a major shock like surgery, it's good not to try to restrict too much right away. As far as the sewing is concerned, I'm just in awe of anyone who can sew! I think I'm the domestic laggard of the group. I can't do anything crafty at all.

Toasted I'm with you about exercise. Morning exercise just isn't gonna happen, and the best time is right around sunset-- except that sadly, right around sunset is a hard time to not be busy with something else... still and all, I'd rather exercise late than early! Glad to hear that you are following your plan.

Diane So nice that you have a good colorist to help you out with the hair. I know I probably should find someone younger as mine has all of her old clients who are just getting older all the time, so she's not exactly full of new ideas. But I'm going to stick with blond for a while longer-- but I really want to see your pictures! I bet it's going to be gorgeous! And maybe I'll get inspired. Also, your weight loss is looking great!

So, between last Friday and Sat I had a 5 lb whoosh but since then the scale has been sitting at 259. Plus I've been feeling really blah-- like I haven't lost enough to notice any difference in how my clothes are fitting because all of my clothes are loose and stretchy anyway. Today, I decided to pop into Nordstrom to try on clothes. I'm down 25 lbs since Christmas but for some reason, I'm not really feeling it. So, the great news is that I put on a nice 2x blouse and sz 20 jeans and a 2x jacket. That felt really good because I've been in 22-24 pants and 3x tops for quite a while! Made me feel like I'm getting somewhere.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #259  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Uber: I love when you get into a smaller size! Even if it’s only one down (because I know we all go ugh it’s one size smaller) ITS ONE SIZE SMALLER! yeah for you! Keep it up and thanks for the recommendation. I had two pints of tomatoes to use up last night and I found something on epicurious - probably not the most healthy food but it sure was tasty with simple ingredients and yes there was pasta. I probably would have done better to have had a large salad with it, but it was still a nice reminder summer is on its way w the tomatoes (even though store bought).

Has your mom lived with you long? If money and home space were better for us that’s one of the ideas w my mom as she’s having a bit more of a time as she ages and we are all further away - as is - she’s still on her own and all - but I’ve had that in the back of my head for a while. How is the multigenerational house?

Diane: I just read an article that said gray is TRENDY! Rock it girlfriend. I’m still grumbling about my whites. My DH enjoys them, I just see them as a bother and that they are getting more prominent. Good for you on being a good shot. I have not yet picked up a gun, no real interest as I know if you shoot them you got to clean them and frankly I’m not interested after seeing my DH gag through his. No thanks!

Lil: I have a machine of my moms doing the same thing that has to go in to my fixit guy - so I can’t tell you how to fix it yet! My own is in need of a tuneup - it’s making noises again (a whir) that the last time was timing was off, which is what happens when I pull heavier through and behind. When I have a spare $100 I’ll take it in. In the meantime I keep using it. I hate when they go kaput when you plan on lots of work! Good you have a friend that can loan you one. I have the second hand one I picked up for my dd to learn on - I got it from shopgoodwill and it was frozen. Ie sat in a closet too long probably. But my fix it man got it going just fine - it’s an elna from the early 80s. I had to Laugh because the previous owner had made up bobbins (I think there were 4) and instead of emptying them out they had wound partial ones of multi colors. let’s just say it was a mess

Toasted: with it being so hot and humid there, does it ever cool in the evenings that you can sit outside and enjoy? Have a drink and read under your deck umbrella? I’d love to but then I end up a tasty treat for mosquitos in my locale. And up here we have to be mindful of West Nile and encephalitis w those buggers. It doesn’t happen often, but it can be nasty if you encounter the rogue bug. And I become one huge welt when bit. Are you one who goes and hangs at the beach on the weekends? Can I ask what ocean you get to partake in from home? I’d love to be able to go to the ocean often - I find putting my toes in the surf therapeautic.

Jen: your lucky you can ignore when your kids are eating. Of late it’s been that I have to join them! Doesn’t help with my dieting. I’ll have to keep fighting that urge and get it on plan before summer starts. Do you live in a heavily tree-d area? Or a valley? I have only been through Oregon on Amtrak, but I seem to recall a lot of green - less the industrial areas you pull through. I met a couple from Portland who were traveling to New Orleans to visit family. They gave me postcards of their hometown - they found it a good way to promote where they lived and loved. She said every trip they’d take she’d make sure to have a dozen cards to hand out to her train mates that she met from other areas. Sweet lady!

Laurie: how are you doing?

Hello all!

I’m struggling with the scale. I have walked the last two days and my weight just stays. I’m mindless snacking I know too. I have done ok with my IF windows, it’s just the in between when I can eat window. With traveling this weekend I think I will just coast and begin again Monday. I need to do the grocerying when we get back. My DH eats all my snack items (string cheese, bananas etc) and leaves me with none. Unless I’ve said ITS MINE and become Uber-territorial, it’s gone. Of late that seems to be happening more often then not. Good thing he doesn’t like avocados or other fruit or my almonds - but you can only eat so many before you tire of them or the calories add up. The man is like my kids with grazing - he eats dinner (I serve him more due to his size) and no sooner than he has his plate by the sink he’s making two pieces of toast w butter, and then a graham cracker or two and then cheese. . . And if I make mention about the additional eating, he gets upset. Drives me bonkers and I hear my mom in my head saying mind your own plate! Anyone else have a spouse that does the same? What do you do to help stop this?

I will try and get my walk done today - kids don’t have school - so it can be a bit of an issue. I went online to see what might be flaring up as I walk - dangnabit it’s sciatica! I’ll just keep walking it out. Doesn’t bother me any other time right now (and I’ve had it before) and my general bursitis of my hip is quiet - knock on wood. Man does getting older w weight make the aches say hello! Or at least more prevelant.

My mini goal to start thinking of in earnest is to get to 218. I’ve hung out in the 20s long enough and I don’t want to be in the 20s in a year. All fine and great but let’s move on. I just have to remind myself I can do this, I’m not a quick looser and I get frustrated when I stay out and then euphoric when I do loose. So my goal will be to refocus to focus! I’m ready to be well and to get back on the focused journey. Because as stated above to Uber, finding oneself in a smaller size is FANTASTIC even if it’s still a size you'd say is still large, it’s a number down or the shedding of the women’s W - it’s an accomplishment. It’s like my Misses 16 - I’m not in a 20w anymore and just being able to wear a 16 is like a party.

So my dears - keep moving forward as best you can! We can do this and I appreciate the collective help I receive from you all. Happy start to your day.

Last edited by lemonthyme; 02-22-2018 at 08:18 AM.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #260  

Hey everyone. Bit of a fly-by today as I'm tired and cranky and busy.

I did great on food yesterday, until I got home. Hubby stopped at the store for Diet 7-Up and apparently a big box of peanut clusters jumped into his cart. Yeah...I ate LOTS of them. Try, try again.

On the up side - my second machine sews!!! I was worried for a hot minute, especially since the weather cancelled choir so I didn't get my friend's machine as a back-up, but my portable Euro-Pro came thru! My coat has begun to be assembled. I may actually take it up a bit - I made it big, but I didn't need it as big as I made it and it's HEAVY. So I may loose some fullness to get it to what I want.

So you know, what I'm working on is something like this: (This is a picture from the internet - NOT my coat.)

And now I need to actually work at, you know, work.

Last edited by Lilion; 02-22-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #261  
Diane

Uber: Congrats on the size/weight loss! It's so hard to remain patient when we all want to see results right now, but it looks like you are doing well and are seeing some good losses. It is so much fun to go down in size. It opens up a whole new world of clothes... sometimes!! You should be proud of the difference!

Lemon: Yeah, my husband and I have an agreement so that if I shoot anything or catch a fish, he cleans it. If I had to do it, I wouldn't participate! It works for us since I do the cooking. I like your new goal. 218 would be phenomenal and I know you can get there! I think your plan is solid. Just make it through travelling, and then go for that fresh start on Monday!

Lilion: That's amazing! What a coat! That will be great that you can get it done with the back up machine. Oh, and peanut clusters. If I had them around, I would have trouble passing them up, too.

As for me, I went back down from yesterday's weigh in. I was hoping for a little additional too, but not meant to be yet. I went to Body Pump this morning and I'll go to spin tomorrow. The weather this weekend isn't looking good, so probably no hikes. There is a spin class on Saturday I'll probably go to, and have Sunday be a rest day. I think.

Food is on plan right now. I didn't bring my lunch today, so that's a problem. I'll need to be careful to not overdo. Maybe just go to Subway. Too many choices lead to bad things for me.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #262  

Diane: Yes, movie theaters are the worst! Congrats on almost hitting 40 pounds for you too! I was looking at your quote too and I love it. If we do not give in we do become stronger......that is so awesome! I was looking through my past losing episodes and saw a pattern. Every time I hit 5 months I end up quitting in some manner. Well this month is my 5th month. I am becoming more aware of my past patterns and I am not going to let this define me!

Uber: Yay for the whoosh!!!! Isn't that amazing when those happen???? Our bodies are so so strange. And I hear you on the sizes. I was putting clothes together to give to the goodwill. I fit in my 16's finally. I have been wearing leggings and long shirts and sweaters because nothing fits. I refuse to buy a larger size so I am so glad the 16's finally fit. Now to the 14's I have lots of that size.

Lemon: You can get to 218, I believe in you! Great job with the walks! I have been meeting my daily steps which is awesome. My body is not handling the low carb days so well and I think I am going to go back to calorie counting with the IF. As much as I hate it...uggg! Oregon? I love Oregon...LOL We are a very weird state..haha... I live in the Willamette Valley and yes we have lots of green! I am about an hour from Portland. I am an hour from the mountains and the ocean. The rain hinders outside activity in the winter but I love love the green and fresh air.

Lil: Great job on the food and we all fall its getting back up that matters! And I love that coat!!!! Cannot wait to see your finished product. I wish I had that talent with sewing!

Me: Going through a lot today. I noticed a HUGE pattern with me in quitting at my 5 month mark with eating right. I went back the last 3 times and it was always that 5th month mark. February is the 5th month for this current restart. I am going to persevere through this and show myself that I can do it and not quit. I am in my 16s finally, which now I don't have to wear my leggings and long shirts anymore. LOL. I refused to buy bigger sizes. I have a ton of 14's so I am just waiting for that usually when I get under 220.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #263  

Jen You are so smart to identify a pattern and then fight against it!!! I know that for me, 4 months is usually the wall. But getting back into 16s and 14s! That is just a tremendously good feeling!!! I know what you mean about the big shirts and stretchy leggings. SO SICK OF THEM!! And fitting into regular sized clothes just opens up a whole world of opportunities and makes your will not to backslide that much stronger! Keep it going! You're doing great!

Diane Sorry that the scale is still sticking for you, but 256! That's really great! Not long before you're on the south side of 250. I can't wait to get there too! I'm the same-- I don't do well with a lot of choices. It's best for me to keep my food a little bit on the boring side.

Lilion Wow! What a coat! And boo about the peanut clusters! It would be hard for me to pass those up too. (read: impossible!!!)

Lemon Boo about the scale sticking, but 218 is totally doable! I'm sorry about the sciatica/aches and pains problems! I have had hip bursitis in the past. No fun! For me, it was aggravated by sleeping on a hard mattress and luckily when I switched to one with a softer top it went away, and I also experienced sciatica in pregnancy. It's no fun to have a pain that interferes with walking-- it's just a constant nag all day. Regarding my mom living with us, she's legally blind, so her choice was either retirement home or living with family. We're really lucky with her, because she has a good disposition and is mentally sharp, so she manages a lot better than the average 80+ blind person. Also, she's financially independent, so that cuts down on the stress of needing to support her. Most of the time we get along great-- and when there is friction it's usually when she brings out my inner rebellious 13-year-old. :-)

Toasted Hope things are going well and you're not too crazy at work.

As for me, so I'm fighting with the scale again. Have been 259 since last Saturday and then this morning 260. BOO! I think it would be wise for me to lay off the scale, but I can't resist hopping on it every single day. Also, I just get irrational, and I start thinking that my body loves this weight and is just going to happily sit here. (I often hover in maintenance around this weight) Beyond that, the big thing on my plate is I need to do my taxes, which I hate doing, so I'm procrastinating, but I'm promising myself that the week won't end without me finishing!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #264  

I give up. Tried 3 times to upload an actual picture of me in the coat and it failed. Never attaches, no matter what I do. That's what I get for working from my phone. Will try later, when it's finished.

I took a break from sewing last night. Well, from sewing clothing. I did finish a axe cover for one of my husband's sewing axes. I'd have those done in a second, IF my favorite machine worked. Ah well.

Will come back after my next hearing and chat more!

Last edited by Lilion; 02-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #265  

Uber: Boo for the scale sticking. My weigh in is tomorrow and I hope it goes down. Seems I only lose every other week. Patterns are great to see and I don't know why it took my until I am 38 to figure that out. It was like a duh moment!

Lil:. I hate when pictures don't want to post. I hope it works I would love to see!

Me:. It was COLD this morning in the teens. I already have 3000 steps due to walking the kids to the bus. I like my days off I seem to get steps in faster! Feeling really hungry today I haven't felt like this in awhile so I hope it subsides!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #266  
Diane

Jen: That's really important that you have recognized that pattern. I keep extensive records on my weigh loss efforts, being the numbers person that I am. But, I think it can be very helpful in looking back at what happened, why, and what can I do differently going forward. You'll break that pattern this time, though! You can do this!!

Uber: Ugh on the scale being uncooperative. I feel for you, fighting the irrational thoughts that come along. I'm the same way. It is hard to be patient and understand that there are those times that your body/the scale react differently than what we think they should do. Just keep fighting the fight and you will win!

Lilion: Ah, technology. Gotta love it. I have a lot of trouble using this site when I'm on my phone. Much easier for me to use the computer. Hopefully we'll get to see your coat sometime!!

As for me, I did go down just .2 pounds today. It helped my sanity just a little. Then, I had the joy of finding out that I'm at another TOM today. I think it has been a month. So irritating when I was going 3-4 months between before. I don't know why this keeps going on, but at least I know why I have been so irritable lately. At least I think that is the reason why.

I didn't go to spin this morning. I had overslept slightly, and just felt tired, so calling it a rest day. I plan on going to spin tomorrow before I go grocery shopping. I don't see hiking as a possibility this weekend, due to weather. Maybe next week. I'm doing well keeping on plan with food, though, so with the weekend coming up, I'll need to keep my focus!
Old 02-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #267  

Diane:Maybe losing weight is regulating TOM? I also keep records. I am glad I do keep records that away I have these ah ha moments! I’m a processor and analyzer by heart so I am always thinking how I can do things better! I hope you feel better!

Me I am at my 7 pound loss this month so I don’t expect to lose anymore. I am hoping next month I will be in the 220s!
Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #268  

Diane Ugh. TOM. Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. And it was magical how much the scale doesn't bounce as much too! Regarding records, I have been tracking my weight pretty consistently since 2009 and it does also help me to see patterns.

Jen Seven pounds for the month is terrific! And thinking about pounds lost per month is so smart! I tend to focus in on the day-to-day and what with stalls and whooshes it's harder to keep track of the big picture.

For me: 257 today so I'm down 40 since Jan 2017 and 25 since Jan 2018. Progress!

Last edited by ubergirl; 02-24-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #269  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

No w/i as I’m traveling this weekend to visit with family and of course with traveling comes eating. Good thing my plan is for Monday morning to start anew. I did do the grocery shopping last night to haul home with us. I’ll just need to stop locally for eggs. I’ve got my avocados and tomatoes and bananas and all of that just makes things better!

I’ve got to get up and go out together a beef veg soup before we leave. I cooked down the soup bones yesterday. Our local butcher left them big and meaty. And this am will find me skimming the fat from the bone broth and getting it all started. Slow cooker it is. Everyone is still sick but recovering so this hopefully will be a boost of goodness.

Uber: good for you on the continued loss! Is the gastric surgery a permanent fixture? I don’t know too much on these things, I’m glad you are finding success.

Jen: yeah for you! 7 lbs down is fab! This month I’ve held fairly steady with some slight ups/downs but when you eat up the short month with winter colds - ugh! Oh your locale sounds lovely. It rained here last night - sounded lovely but this am snow on top. We’ll return home to lots of snow today. Ready.for.spring!

Diane: hah- glad your DH will take care of animal decedents for you. Is your spin instructor a new friend for you? Maybe this will be a great fit of keeping you both motivated to move. I’ve always hoped for a friend in exercise but that’s about as quick as me finding a friend in general in the town we live in (very inter family and they don’t open up to outsiders easily! Plus being an old mama vs my kids classmates in their 18-20s vs my oldest - I’m an old lady too). So enjoy this friend!

Lil: live to see your garb! I hope you can figure how to post it. And I hope your sewing continues well. When does your war begin, this next weekend?

Hello all!

Am: off to get this soup underway and if we all wake soon (lots of coughers over night) then church. I’ve got a lot to get cleaned up here too before we go for my mom. It’s always something. And my weight - well let’s just say DH is at Dunkin right now. Hah. Again tomorrow is Monday and I’ll tackle the 1250 calories and fast once again in earnest and see if I can not just flirt with the end of the 220s. Happy end of weekend all!

Last edited by lemonthyme; 02-25-2018 at 08:37 AM.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #270  

Uber: I have to look at it monthly! With day to day I would go crazy sometimes even weekly makes me crazy. I don’t know why my body wants to lose every two weeks. It’s weird to me. I am a slower loser anyways. Lots of people lose 10-12 pounds a month. Yay for progress. You are doing amazing. Just think where you will be by the start of summer!

Lemon: You have gotten a lot of snow this year! Do you live in the mountains? You can do this. And if you have maintained for awhile that is good. Maintaining is better than gaining. I know the hardest part is the first week. You got this! I do understand the friend thing. I think it’s hard finding a real friend at all these days!

Me:. I got in two workouts yesterday and will do two today and aim for one tomorrow morning. The week days are too hard getting anything in besides walking! Hope everyone is well!