Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #106  

Lemon, Are you Minnesota? I have a sister in law there. She was posting video on a group chat last night of the blizzard. Stay warm! Sorry about your cold. When I have a cold all I want to do is EAT. It’s so hard to stay on track when you feel crappy, especially when you’re stuck inside. Hang in there. Ack! Cleaning! This weekend we (re)commenced cleaning of my sewing/workout room. Yes, I have do actually have a sewing machine (okay, I have 5 but only 4 are functional and 2 are antiques). I also have an elliptical and a Bowflex. None of them have been accessible for months. The poor Bowflex hasn’t been used in YEARS. I think we paid like $800 for it and I used it maybe 6 times. Husband used it maybe twice. We NEED to put all of those things to work. After two weekends (two weeks apart) I can almost use the sewing machine. I just need to move the big boxes of “I have to keep this” out of the way. 

TOASTED! You’re BACK! I’m glad you had a lovely break - sorry about your cold...guess they're world-wide..lol.. but now you have to prepare for BALI! How wonderful! Yep…swimsuits and sarongs – so you got to work it! (Seriously, I’d still do swimsuits and sarongs without losing an ounce to go to Bali!)

So today’s weight is 271 – ½ lb up from yesterday. Weight is so weird. I was actually good yesterday and stayed under calories. It is what it is. Had a lovely cup of overnight oats (heated, because cold oats are nasty) and have the last of the chicken noodle soup for lunch. Have venison chili simmering in the crockpot for tonight’s dinner. Trying to stay on track, regardless of the outcome.

Later all!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Lil: no WI so we didn’t have the winds Minnesota did. And in the end we didn’t get nearly the amount they said. But it was wet, heavy snow and it rained prior to the snow falling so a big old gloopy mess topped with ice. Yuck. Yeah for the unearthing of your sewing machines. Maybe I should challenge you to make one non-SCA piece of clothing - something that would make you happy or get you ready for spring. And if you are concerned w/weight then throw on an elastic waist if need be (I find a fitted band helps ensure I keep check on what I’m doing). Just saying maybe we can sew our way thin with little challenges.

AM: so I braved the scale as I got the kids ready for school I indulged in a long shower but prior to I hit the scale. I’m trying to accomplish my IF as best I can today. I know just a few hours ago I thought I was stumbling. Ok back to weight, minus the 1 lb of coffee I had drank prior to scale which I subtracted (because of course saying 16 oz just sounds only ounce like and little and a pound sounds so heavy). So today’s weigh in:

Yeah!

So 222 might be doable. I will try to have DH take my undies shot and if it looks like I’m slimmer I may post an illustrative image. Ie I’ll make my shape a solid color and overlay the new me on top of - but that’s only if there is some change. If I’m still as lumpy then I’ll leave it alone.

If you give me a moment, then let me wax poetic and think of a new goal to meet - could I dare throw to the universe the numbers 215? I’m sure I’ll get stuck as per usual along the way - but a girl can dream and perhaps reach that little goal sooner than later.

You know I didn’t get to wear my new swimsuit due to it being so cold and the park days long - I mean I’m hearty and all but swimming in an outdoor pool at 48F in the evening so didn’t appeal to me nor did first thing in the am at a balmy 28! That’s not what I had hoped for winter in FL. But the sun was nice and so were the few days I got to wear shorts.

So just for the brief moment, I’m happy to see the scale has moved even if a bit and I’m back on track I hope from vacay. We can do this girls! As hard as the journey is with those riddled landmines we seem to find for ourselves WE CAN DO IT!

Ok off to teach the youngest and make it through my last hour before I can eat again. I can do this! Slowly but surely, right?
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonthyme View Post
Maybe I should challenge you to make one non-SCA piece of clothing - something that would make you happy or get you ready for spring. And if you are concerned w/weight then throw on an elastic waist if need be (I find a fitted band helps ensure I keep check on what I’m doing). Just saying maybe we can sew our way thin with little challenges.
Well...you could challenge me...but it would be a while before I get to it. We have Gulf Wars in March - March 10 to be exact - and hubby and I both need a weeks worth of garb, suitable for both hot and cold weather because it goes from freezing to sweating in Mississippi in March. We haven't played in so long that most of our old garb is too small...or too big, not that big is a problem. So I have a lot to do and little time to do it.

But AFTER March? Maybe I'll take you up on that! No long events after that until June!

You know, I have a cousin that just came back from a vacation in Florida. She posted a photo of herself on Facebook, wearing a parka over her bikini.

Last edited by Lilion; 01-23-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #109  

Lil: our beach photos are similar except we left our parkas in the car trunk at the airport. But it was polar fleeces and sweatshirts and hats. We went a month earlier due to family schedules meshing but I think we found feb to be more agreeable to us both weather wise and amount of people wise. Going during mlk weekend not advised unless you love crowds.

Ok - so we’ll challenge soon enough on the sewing. In the meantime making over what you got sounds maybe doable. And you have a month and half to get it done. I’m guessing you are of a group that can use the machine? I seem to recall those in this state that do rendezvous tend to make their garb by hand but a lot is made from deer hides. My DH bought his sca garb made by someone at one of the faires when he was single. I said too bad you didn’t know me then . . .

Hah!
————

Well my teaching lesson is done for the day and now he’s watching his show. We worked for an hour at still a younger age the attention span is still shorter. But it went well. We’ll work more later.

I just went a bit heavier on my first meal. I had a whole avocado, 3/4 of an orange, egg, string cheese and a slice of Gouda (before everyone else eats it). My helper helped me eat - which I guess isn’t too terrible, less for me! But it was somewhat colorful in packer colors of course. Maybe tomorrow I’ll crack open a salsa for a color explosion.

Once the kid is off to a nap I’m off to continue cleaning out my house/computer/basement. The list is long and I’m not anywhere close to getting it going. Good lord- I need at least 3 of me today one for each floor of my house. However since I can’t I will just muddle through it all.

I’m off to melt some more of myself. Well - it’s a fun thought!

Last edited by lemonthyme; 01-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #110  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Lilion: Sounds like your weight is fluctuating quite a bit. That is just maddening, isn't it? But, you're still down from Friday, so I'd claim the victory!! And I agree, it is so hard to have any outdoor time when it is so cold. Hopefully, spring is right around the corner.

Toasted! So glad to see your post! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your time away. That's pretty cool! I always wonder how it will be when I get to lower numbers, near goal or at goal. When you have a lot to lose, there isn't much else to do, but dedicate to it. But when you have less to lose, I wonder if I'll be as motivated. I hope so, at least with staying active. I'll bet that you can make your goal of 15-20 by May!

Lemonthyme: Hopefully you can kick that cold soon, and move past all of that! It sounds like you are doing well with your weigh ins, so congrats!! That's too bad about not being able to wear your swimsuit! You worked hard on it!! Well, soon the weather will be warmed up and you'll be good to go!

For me, I had a good weigh in today, and it was back to where it was on Friday. I just need to keep it going. I went to the gym this morning to lift weights, and I'm thinking I'd like to see if I still know how to run, so I might go to the gym after work. You know, my foot is feeling better after the plantar fasciitis, so might as well see if I can get it to flare up again! Ha! I'm sure it won't be pretty, but I need to get back to it. I've been really enjoying the spin classes, so I'll go to that in the morning.

I have a healthy lunch today that I'm looking forward to eating (a salad with lots of different veggies! Cheese and meat for protein, too). It took me forever this morning to put it together, so I need to quit being lazy at night and make my lunch then. I don't give myself enough time in the morning to get that all done!!!

Laurie! Missing you!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #111  

Quote:
I’m guessing you are of a group that can use the machine? I seem to recall those in this state that do rendezvous tend to make their garb by hand but a lot is made from deer hides. My DH bought his sca garb made by someone at one of the faires when he was single. I said too bad you didn’t know me then . . .
Oh yes, all of the garb we own I made. But, my hubby has learned how to embroidery...lol...and I think it's high time to get him on the sewing machine. After all, I have a second one that works just fine...so we could halve the work load! Hmmmm...that is a thought.

YAY Diane! :
Old 01-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #112  

According to my happy scale I have .6 lbs to get rid of before my next mini goal is let and overall I’ve achieved 31.8% to my goal. Some moments it doesn’t seem a lot. But then other moments I guess I’d have to say yes it is. Especially when I view it in terms of other objects so I’ve now lost a one 2-3 year old child or 3:10 lb bags of flour or 6:5 lb bags of potatoes or 32:1 lb blocks of cheese. How’s that for visualizing? It helps me out to think in those terms too.

Anywho onward and downward.

Lil: yeah for a hubby who sews, even if he can just do your straight stitching on straight seams you might want to keep him busy especially if you need to make yards of gathers for yourself! Is this gulf wars one where you make an encampment? How many people participate? And it is it mainly from Missouri down to the southern states for participants?

Diane: how was your fresh veg salad? What unique offering was in it that you haven’t eaten in a while? In regards to your fasciitis, make sure you have good support so it doesn’t flare. My family and myself have found that flip flops really irritate it. I’m barefoot a lot and that’s fine but it’s the walking in crappy shoes that irritates mine and my siblings feet. But have ice handy just in case!

Toasted: the world traveler! Bali sounds interesting as well. I second the sarong idea - why not and enjoy yourself in it lounging by the water and all the greenery. How do you plan to tackle those pounds you want off?

Hello all!

Well so the scale was on this am. That’s a good thing. I guess w/ all this slowness and pauses between w/little hiccups maybe I’ll learn to keep it off?

IF yesterday went as well as it could. I’m glad because the youngest didn’t get to school and my mind goes crazy and I just snack with them mindlessly. So I’m glad I stuck to my guns and got it done. I do hope it helps me in the long run.

I’m completely tired today. Not sure if it’s tied w the cold or a tad of jet lag or not sleeping super well. But darn I could crawl back into bed once I get the kids on the bus. And I might just do that. Sounds decadent but in the end practical if I’m a tired mama.

Ok well I’m off to go melt a bit more and see what happens that way. Me and the snowman the kids made we can melt together.

I was reading the news - have any of you followed that sad story of the kids in California? How and why do parents do that to their own? Sadness all around.

Happy day all I send you my best. Off to get kids ready to run.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #113  

Me again. I need bra help and I’m not finding a good answer online and finding someone to do a good bra fitting locally is like finding a zillion dollars under my pillow. I’ve had fitters laugh at me because of my chest size vs my boobage “its not normal” you can’t have a band that big with cups of that size. Hahahahaha and they walked away. Anywho, currently my issues:

I can pinch quite a bit of fabric out of my soft cups at the top

Underwires don’t lie flat and become uncomfortable it’s almost as the wire area
Appears lots wider than I need and like the above I can pinch out at the top

And I keep seeing that the center should lay flat to your chest MINE NEVER DO

Ok so suggestions? I don’t have a lot to spend on new ones and I know with weight loss that area can shift and my goodwills don’t have a lot to offer plus - really - I like a new bra. I don’t mind secondhand but undergarments kind of push it for me in feeling ok about it. Anyway - HELP. I lost perky a long time ago but currently feel I’m swimming in what I have. Time for an uplifting moment if you will!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #114  

Lemon, Gulf Wars is a big event. Not as big as some, but about 4000 people. It goes a week, including two weekends. You basically set up a medieval village – for lack of a better description, but it’s all tents for the most part. There are merchants and food vendors and then there are classes you can take. I did pottery and Italian renaissance gowns a thousand years ago when I went last. This is out of our “kingdom” and in another one, so we’re just visitors. We’ll try to camp near people from our local group, but last time we ended up off in an area where we didn’t know anyone. It was still fun, but it’s always better if you have people around to cook and dine with, etc. People come from all over really. Being less than central, there are probably fewer kingdoms represented that say Estrella, which is in Arizona. The BIG war is Pennsic. It’s in Pennsylvania and I believe gets like 10,000 people. I’ve never been to either of those. There is a war, of course, and armies pick sides for the battlefield. There will be archery and thrown weapons – which is what hubby will do as he’s decided his knees will no longer hold up to battle. We have three friends, all younger than us, who’ve had to have knee surgery from injuries and bad knees kind of run in Jim’s family, so he’s decided not to risk it. Fighting is a ROUGH hobby. I’m kind of glad he’s out of it, though he really did enjoy armoring up and getting on the battlefield.

So anyway, that’s Gulf Wars. 

Scale didn’t move today, but I’m not surprised as we ended up at a local bar’s trivia night last night. We split a sandwich and fries, since we’d had chili before we went, and didn’t drink, but probably still went over on calories. But that’s okay…we don’t actually get out much and it was fun.

Still, I’m TIRED today! Didn’t get to bed til after midnight. Now today I’m fighting cable companies while I should be working. Our bill is ridiculous – for internet alone the cost is like $80/mo! That’s insane! But we really only have one provider that gets you high enough speeds to stream video. It sucks! I should be working, but I’m not. I’ll get to it later. Lol

I have been reading the news on that kids in California. How horrible. I can’t actually imagine how anyone could do that. There are sick, sick people in the world.

Regarding bras, Lemon, I hope you’re joking about fitters actually laughing! That’s horrible!!!. I’m currently wearing a VERY old 42C from Vanity Fair…that ought to tell you how old it is. It’s been in a drawer forever! But my others were empty cups after dropping 35 lbs. So…glad the 10 year old bra was still in the drawer. I can pinch mine too. I have a VERY hard time finding them too. I’ve been tempted to try that “Third Love” on-line that I’m always getting Facebook ads about. I mean, they seem pricey, but if they really fit right, that’s kind of priceless.

So that's all I have time to write! Got to get to work. I'll bbl!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #115  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Lemonthyme: I have no suggestions for you on the bras. I am not a fan of shopping for bras (almost as bad as shopping for shoes, hate it). It is like torture trying to find one. I have a Maidenform one that I like, and I noticed that they do have a few that don't have underwires. But, yeah, I have too much fabric at the top, too. Ugh!

Lilion: Your Gulf Wars sound like fun! It is hard to picture that many people in an encampment. I can't imagine the planning that would go into something like that! Also, internet is such a pain! We live out where we can't get anything but satellite internet. It is just under $80 a month, so I am surprised that yours is that much. I always figured that cable internet would be cheaper. Guess not!

For me, I had a pretty big drop on the scale this morning. I think it had a lot to do with the exercise I did yesterday and I was under on my calorie goal. The salad I made was good and I made another one today. It has a little bit of everything - green leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, red pepper, cucumber, cheese and chicken (lunchmeat). I think it was a little light on protein yesterday, so I added some extra cheese today. I was pretty hungry by the time work was done.

I did go back to the gym last night to run. Well... that was fun.... I've lost a lot of my progress on that during this time I've taken off from it. It was definitely harder than I remember. My foot was ok during the running, but it was pretty sore this morning. I think my running shoes need to be replaced, but for now, I think I'll add my inserts next time. I found some inserts at the store, designed for plantar fasciitis. I think they work really well, so maybe that will help. I'll try it again. Maybe tomorrow after work. I do agree, Lemonthyme, that supportive shoes are key. I am not a lover of flip flops or sandals anyway, but I think I'm just going to have to stick to more supportive ones.

I went to spin this morning, and I'll plan to lift some weights tomorrow. Just have to keep focusing on staying on plan with food. The weekend is coming!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #116  

So I measured the boobage and found that the band size is way down YEAH and the cup size is up or maybe now that the back fat is moving off there is a bigger difference. I now am more of a non standard size not the perky small size they offer mainly in the economical shops - keep going up he alphabet. Ugh. So the hunt will commence this weekend I hope it maybe the ILS will keep the kids as trying on without them is a huge help. I even checked to see what sister sizes just in case and go from there. I’d jut like one that fit and gave me some lift and loose the crazy non definition I have between the chest and what remains of the belly landslide. If I’m loosing weight then I best keep on top of the top reshaping too.

I still haven’t gotten much done. I’m still tired and I have class tonight at church. My house is a mess and I should go ready for my upcoming planting season. Frankly I’ve no huge desire to do much today or this week. Sitting on my duff would make me happy with no issues. Who knows why I’m this way of late.

IF went well this am. I’m off to go find my water and get that going I pushed coffee lots longer later in my morning. I do hope the scale is looking better tomorrow even though I’d love to make and eat a bunch of sweet things right now. I’m slowly realizing that the fasting in the morning does make a difference with my scale and it’s not too hard to do, and yes I do have some moments I want to eat some days by 815 but I push on and say I can do this at 11 instead. So two days back in and I continue to try with this.

Ok off to go do more plant research. Happy afternoon!

Last edited by lemonthyme; 01-24-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #117  

Just for fun...I couldn't find one of Gulf, but here's an aerial view of Pennsic...the BIG war. Gulf is less than half this size...which is still pretty darn big!

Here's a photo of a battlefield (also Pennsic).

And a basic encampment.

And the interior of a tent...Not mine, but close enough. We camp comfy.

Last edited by Lilion; 01-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #118  

Height: 5'5"

GUYS! I'm back! And so excited to see all y'all still here, plus Toasted's return. My son was hospitalized, and I disappeared from work and everything else for an entire week. Such a weird experience, but the world did not burn down because I wasn't guiding it. It was a great lesson, and while I would not wish the experience on anyone, it ended well. I also discovered that I don't eat much when I am very anxious. Interesting, because I don't ever remember looking at my favorite kinds of candy, picking them up, examining them, and putting them back again because I can't imagine consuming them. I totally lost five pounds last week, and am down to 155. Plus - my body is used to fewer calories, and I've been reminded that being hungry isn't a huge deal. Maybe I can parlay a challenging week into a push to get back down to 140ish, which is where I think I want to be consistently.

Also - new goal is to work more reasonable hours. Imma let it burn down rather than give my job more than the 40ish hours per week they pay me to give them. I will do personals tomorrow. For now, I'm going to try to get through the 1500 emails I missed last week. =)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #119  

lil: My goodness that’s fancy! A 4 poster bed?! Do y’all travel w a trailer w all your items? Do you eat like in that time period? I’d guess you would dress medieval as well. I’m hopeful you at least access to real bathrooms I can’t imagine a portapot in full garb! Looks like something you’re looking forward to - always good to have something to aim towards. My next is a destination wedding later this year. My goal is to be at goal but I’ve missed all my other goals before
Things so for now I’ll keep my little goal to just be lighter than I was and am.

Diane: good shoes are a must! I think w running shoes they’re lifespan if used for constant exercise is what every 6-9 Mos? I myself can’t afford to keep that type of budget - I have a sibling that does, it’s not uncommon to see 10-15 pairs of running shoes piled by the door. I have found what helps me is to check my shoe for its drop. I think 4mm is what I have luck with for running shoes I use to walk in anything bigger for me causes issues with my calves and arch.

See this article

Maybe that will give you some help. I tend to stay with saucony and I have had luck since migrating to paying attention to this.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #120  

Quote:
lil: My goodness that’s fancy! A 4 poster bed?! Do y’all travel w a trailer w all your items? Do you eat like in that time period? I’d guess you would dress medieval as well. I’m hopeful you at least access to real bathrooms I can’t imagine a portapot in full garb! Looks like something you’re looking forward to - always good to have something to aim towards. My next is a destination wedding later this year. My goal is to be at goal but I’ve missed all my other goals before
Things so for now I’ll keep my little goal to just be lighter than I was and am.

Our bed isn't quite that nice. But it is a real bed. Last time we went to war, we used my grandmother's antique bed that dates to about 1876. It's really too short though as it's only 72 inches long and the mattress is squished, as are we, since we're both pushing 6' tall. This year we'll take the one we made, which isn't quite that fancy, but still pretty nice.

In our tent we'll also have a 4' table and chairs and a chest at the end of the bed and probably at least one side table by the bed. We'll have a section curtained off for storage of the non-medieval items, totes, coolers, etc. We have rugs on the floor. Outside the tent we'll have a fire pit and "kitchen" area, another table and chairs, etc.

Food...well years ago we had friends we camped with who no longer play, sadly, but they were SUCH good cooks! Frank baked bread on-site in an earth oven, they'd spit chickens and roasts over the fire. It was GREAT! We sat one morning eating breakfast of eggs, and bacon and biscuits, etc. and someone started to chuckle and said, "Can you believe the way we eat and there are people right now having cold poptarts?" LOL We ate better in camp that lots of people do at home!

Now...well I'm going to have to plan our food. Often you end us sharing if you camp close to friends, but I'm sure we'll have plenty of breakfast food, my hubby loves his breakfast. We'll do a low country boil one night I'm sure, since we can get fresh shrimp so easily near the gulf. We'll probably do some venison roast or steak or stew over the fire. I'll plan on bread in my dutch oven too...but there's a baker/merchant with reasonably priced homemade bread and buying it is more medieval than baking it really. lol. I'll hopefully do a meat pie at some point too. So, no, we don't really make much of an effort to eat in period...but we try to not do poptarts and hot dogs.

It's generally porta-johns, I'm sorry to say. That is the single worst part. We don't do big renaissance dresses generally. Camp clothes are usually much simpler medieval dresses. More like this:

Not that long dresses are every fun in any bathroom, much less a couple layers of them, but you get used to it. We'll have a water cooler to fill for drinking water and some type of container for cleaning water. There are showers on site but usually cold and fairly crowded, so there's a lot of bird baths using a pitcher and basin (I have metal ones for camping) in the tent. Pretty medieval there too. LOL

I am really looking forward to it. This particular war I've only been to once and it was like 10 years ago, but I remember it being a lot of fun. I hope that my husband and I get to camp near people we know well this time, as we were a bit isolated last time, but regardless, we'll have a good time.

Laurie! I'm glad you're back and so sorry to hear your son was in the hospital. I hope all is well now! Big hugs. That's a ton of stress, no wonder you lost! Me? I'd have eaten the candy. That's my go-to stress response.

Last edited by Lilion; 01-24-2018 at 06:09 PM.