Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Default Support Meetings - what do you think?

I'm curious to people's opinion about "support meetings" - be it your WW meeting, your TOPS meeting, Overeaters Anonymous, or whatever.

Do you find you are more successful when you go to a support meeting?

I find that no matter what the scale says, up or down, I need to go to that meeting to get encouragement from my leader, see other people who are struggling with their weight, etc. If I don't go to meetings, I really don't lose.

I'm wondering what other people's opinion is on this subject!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:56 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

bethanne... could i bring up another kind of support meeting? here in joisy there's a program for unemployed professionals called Professional Services Group. the weekly support group is fine, even though some of the members are not likely to get a job any time soon. BUT, the REAL value of the group is in the courses they offer: interviewing, resume writing [and that's one of the best!], grieving over the lost job, how to look for a job. AND there's also a whole lot of networking going on.

i know some other states have adopted this model. but i don't know if massachusetts has.

so. yes. i think support groups are important. in a whole lot of areas.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 PM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I've never been involved with a program that has support meetings. My support comes from the groups I find online. I'm hoping to expand that to include people at the gym I'm gonna be joining soon.

I find that I like the immediacy of online support. If I need you, you're here. When I need to vent, you're here. When someone needs support, I can respond quickly. It blows my mind that someone can post something and within a few hours get almost ten responses.

We've got SO much accumulated knowledge, experience, and wisdom about the trials and tribulations of our chosen path.

However, one of the problems with online support is that people can come and go very easily. I could get depressed and leave the board and there's no real mechanism for you to find me. There's also no real accountability. If I say I've lost weight this week, you only have my word that it's true.

People online also get only as much support as they're comfortable asking for. Not everyone participates in the 'chat' threads. Not everyone participates in the monthly challenges, or the exercise thread. Some boards are more impersonal than others. Some boards are rather dead. Others are so busy that its hard for a new person to make an impact.

But for me, this is the sort of place that I turn to for support. I think the online community, more and more, is becoming a good support network for people.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:01 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

I've tried WW a few times over the years. When I just used the program and went for the weigh-in but didn't stay for the meetings, I'd lose a few pounds and then lose interest and motivation and end up quitting. This time I decided to stay for the meetings and I think it's a major part of my success. I'm fortunate in that we have a really great leader and that probably makes all the difference. Since I've been there over a year now I've also made friends - some who I only see at the meetings and a special few that are now part of my life outside of WW. I'll admit there are a few at the meetings who annoy me terribly, but I'm sure there's a few who can't stand me either, so it's all relative. I hear so many good ideas and motivating stories at the meetings and I suppose just the fact that we're all going through the same experience creates a kinship. We share in our successes and shortcomings alike and I find it a great source of comfort.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

A great big YES! And I know WW has done studies and the most successful people are the people who go to meetings. I find a lot of inspiration, motivation, tips, etc. from the people who are at the meetings. One of our members is the demo diva at Trader Joe's and she turns us on to low points food all the time. I think having a good leader is crucial, though. Luckily, I haven't met a bad one at our center yet.

In addition to attending meetings, I think it's even more beneficial to talk at meetings. I find the more I talk, the more people talk to me, and the more support I get. And I'm a pretty shy person so it's tough, but well worth it.
Closed Thread