Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #16  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!

Noshoes - I love c25k! My problem sometimes, though, is that I try to skip through the steps too fast and end up frustrating myself. Or I try to push myself through the first intervals (by increasing the speed until it feels challenging) and exhaust myself through the end. And I struggle making myself take a rest day. Sounds like you and I might be a bit alike. =)

Bookmark - Woot on having less-than-miserable first days. It's such a blessing. And I just noticed that you have lost 70 pounds. How awesome is that?

Nici - You are totally rocking this! And I love that you have embraced the bike after your toe challenges made it harder for you to walk. Plus, you have already hit your Valentine's Day goal! Thank you for being proof that this can work. And I am happy to hear that you're moving past the 'why bother' stage.

Diane - Glad you made it to spin. Sometimes, getting into the gym is the biggest battle, particularly with challenges like weather. Can't wait for an update on how you're managing your food struggle and how you're acing your fitness!

Angie - It is so great that you are having such strong early results. Please keep us posted on how challenging the program is and how successful it is. It is great to see someone find something that works for her.

Amanda - Nursing is exhausting on a physical, emotional, and mental level, I've heard. But it is such a crucial profession. You'll learn how to balance the food aspect in with it all. It may prove to be easier, in fact, because you're forced to plan what food you will eat on your breaks. Maybe? Congratulations on your first full day of being a nurse!

Toasted - If you're doing your patented lurking, composing a megapost but never finishing it, shtick, please come out and play! Even if you only post a hello, it brightens my day.

New day. New opportunities. We are in the midst of the snowpocalypse, but I have to go out in it anyway for work and for class, so I might just add gym to my list of destinations.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 02-02-2016 at 09:33 AM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #17  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Really busy today. Work is cutting into my 3FC time!!
Just a quick HI!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/170

Height: 6,1

LaurieDawn Thank you! Yes, I have...although I lost the upper half of it about two years ago, and have been going back and forth between 230 and 215 since then...until I busted through that this fall and got down to 195. Maybe it's cheating to put my highest weight ever as my start weight...but it's good to remind myself how far I've come. It seemed impossible at the start, so when the rest feels impossible now I try to think about that a bit.

Nici Thanks to you, too :P I'm feeling more of the same, today but was relieved that I'm actually three pounds down from where I weighed yesterday (totally owing to de-bloating and balancing out after stuffing myself, but I'm glad I didn't gain quite so much as I thought).

Be patient. Sometimes it feels like a long wait to see those numbers shift, but if you stick to the right things for your body, sometimes you just wake up one day and *poof* you've dropped a few over night.

Got to the gym again today. Phew. Hope to re-instill a regular habit and get back to just doing it as part of my day and not feeling like I have to fight to get there.
Bookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #19  

Height: 5'5"

Bookmark - How is it cheating to acknowledge what we all want -- long-term success? If you have kept it off for two years, that's more reason to celebrate, not less. I was 189 about a year ago. Now I'm struggling to get back down again. My highest was 278. Me and you -- we'll figure it out together.

Diane - UGH! Work! I have to get back to it as well. So glad you took the time to do the quick check-in as well. Just knowing you're still here and pumping away is encouragement in itself.

Nici - You are TOTALLY rocking this. If the scale doesn't change after a couple of weeks, then maybe it's time to reevaluate things -- make sure you're counting every calorie, etc. But our bodies just seem to have to adjust to the smaller weight, and, at least for me, I lose fairly rapidly, hang on for a bit, lose again, etc. Don't give in to the "This isn't working" mindset and decide it doesn't matter. You are on track! This is the road to success. Thank you for being an example when I struggle.

I am SO FAR BEHIND. I had no idea how much work this class would be. Once we deal with the syllabus issues that have plagued me and I get caught up on grading, things will be much, much better.

Also - my students are super whiny. And that's how it is.

But I did buy low-cal food for work so that I can eat it when I'm hungry. No excuse to get fast food. And I may just work until midnight or later so I can feel on top of things. I need to start hitting the gym more consistently.

Have a great day everyone!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #20  
Diane

Ok, not quite so frantic today at work. I went to spin today. It was a pretty tough workout, but it felt good. I did not make it to body pump yesterday, but I went running after work. It was not good for some reason. I finally just stopped after 20 minutes of struggle (I usually go for 35 minutes). I guess some days you just aren't up for it. Could be a TOM thing. Ugh.

Also might have been a little hormonal/emotional yesterday. I was feeling the "this isn't working" "I can't get on track" "I suck" attitude going home after running. I have a commute of about 20-25 minutes, so by the time I got home, I had reminded myself of the success I've had in the past... how there isn't any other option but to keep going... and to be patient. It is tough to keep positive all the time, so I guess we all need to sink low every now and then. I'm fine now. It's a new day, and moving on.

Laurie: Good for you for buying some healthy food options. If you don't have it around, it is too easy to grab and go in the unhealthy range! Smart girl you are!!

Bookmark: Glad you had a loss! That's always good! And good job on the workout. I think that if you just don't give yourself the option to not go, you get into a habit of going, you feel weird if you don't go, and you get the routine set.

Nici: Scales are mean. Just keep plugging onward and don't give in to the scale bullies. I agree with Laurie. It will happen!

noshoes: I used the C25K program to start running. I think it is so good! I'm also trying to decrease my 5K time. I am really, really slow. I just keep trying to go a little faster each time. Oh, and definitely have a rest day. I think it helps keep your body healthy.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #21  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

I’ve missed a few days, but I’m going to try to catch up from yesterday…

I weighed in again this morning and was down 1lb since Monday…so 5.8 since beginning on 1/28.

LaurieDawn – So far I’ve managed to stay on my plan, which is something I usually struggle with, allowing small cheats, bites, nibbles…you know? I think what’s working for me is to make my food as delicious as possible, so even though there is very little, what I have tastes good – and that’s kind of challenging without salt, if you ask me. The other thing is that I’ve turned down invitations to dinner and movies because I don’t feel like I’m ready yet to resist the temptations that are out there…especially movie popcorn. I’m getting a feel for what fills me, and let me say – it is not lettuce. I chose lettuce as my sole veggie on Sunday night for dinner and I was sooo hungry the rest of the evening…I find more fibrous veggies (like broccoli) fill me better and longer…more bang for the buck. Thanks for asking! If you don’t make it to the gym you could always shovel a few driveways, that burns a ton of calories!

NIci – It’s so frustrating, but don’t give up – it will only be worse! Are you getting enough sleep and water?

Bookmark – I don’t think it’s cheating to record your highest weight…it’s marking the beginning…like many trips making up a long journey.

Slashnl – I completely agree that there is no option but to keep going…the alternative is much less appealing. I’m glad you found some perspective, thinking of your success so far. I find we are much harder on ourselves than we would be on others; you’ve lost a lot of weight so far and it must have been a lot of hard work – celebrate that when you feel down.

Last edited by Angie; 02-03-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #22  

I didn't really mean CHEATING cheating..just, not marking where I've actually started since joining.

Slashnl: I think you're right about the workout. Just gotta keep going until it's habit. I had a weird sort of confused moment after work today. I'm getting off earlier these days and I was like "weee, I can go home!" "or..should I stay and get some more work done" "...............or I guess I could go to the gym" and I was all indecisive for a while. But then I went. lol. So, another one under my belt is good. I'll probably do a rest day tomorrow because I have an evening meeting, but maybe do some leg stuff at home.

I'm down another 2 pounds today. I think my body is still settling down after my awful January bingefest. It's nice to feel like I gained closer to 15 than 20. Phew. Getting back on track.

Last edited by Bookmark; 02-03-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #23  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

Thanks for the support.
Tomorrow is my rest day, Friday is a good day to take a break I think.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #24  
Diane

Went to body pump this morning. The regular instructor was back today after an injury. So, it was good to have her back. Tonight I'll go running. Hopefully it will be better than it was on Tuesday.

Bookmark: Good choice, going to the gym!! Sounds like a good idea for you to have a rest day.

Angie: Congrats on the weight loss! That's good!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #25  

Nici, sometimes after I have been on a tightly restricted calorie intake, it ends up being the day after I loosen the reigns a bit and eat in the higher range for weight loss, or even maintenance range, that I start losing again...but hear you about the slippery slope. Big time.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #26  
Diane

Well, didn't go running last night. Some snow was moving in and it was icy, so I just went home. So tired of winter. I went to spin this morning, and if I was really good, I'd go running tonight. But, not sure I want to do that.

Not much else. Gotta get back to work.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #27  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Nick - it's such a conundrum; drink enough water or get enough sleep…

I'm down just over seven pounds after my first week on my plan. I had my first real challenge last night when I met some friends for dinner and drinks… I'm really happy with my choices -- I had a side salad and diet Coke; consequently a good weigh in today!

Last edited by Angie; 02-05-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #28  

Another significant loss this morning, making it 8lbs since Monday...which is gonzo, as I've only been to the gym twice and have not been under-eating...though I have been doing low calorie (1200-1400). I'm not complaining. I mostly feel relief.

I'm trying (not so hard as I should be just this second, full disclosure) to turn that into motivation to get over a tricky situation. It's Friday. I've been good all week. I have a long weekend. I want an indulgent evening inside in the warm with all my favourite junk foods. Sigh. But I've been invited out to the movies. Good distraction. Except. The popcorn is a must. Okay, fine, I can afford to treat myself. BUT. There's a distorted part of me that thinks "well, hey, you may as well go whole hog and eat everything you want today because you're having popcorn tonight"... and I need to shut that part up. It's already seduced me into an after work sugary treat, some chips (not a whole bag or anything, but still) and half a coke... I'll finish the day around 1900 calories.

This is fine.

IF it stays just this. I'm just very back and forth about whether it will be >.<
Old 02-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #29  
Amanda

S/C/G: 272.5/see ticker/172.5

Height: 5'4

Helloooooooooooo, everybody! So I've been working as a nurse for a little over a week now, and I'm finishing up my training in the next two days. My first shift without training wheels (without someone watching over me the whole time) will be this coming up Friday and I'm so nervous, I feel like I could poop my pants. It's gonna be okay, though. Hopefully. I mean, theoretically. I'm not worried about the skills part of it or the paperwork...I'm pretty solid on all the day to day tasks, and anything I haven't done yet I can ask another nurse to help with or wait for the next shift. What I'm worried about is scheduling everything into one teensy 8hr shift. Then there's the fact that crazy things happen ALL THE TIME. I mean, what am I gonna do if an emergency happens, or an admittance, or, just, ANYTHING. UUUUGGGH.

So, you know, that's where I am right now. Not seriously panicking about my life-choices or anything. It's whatevs. Sorry I haven't been here...it's just been crazy. And my allergies are killing me. And so are these damn 6am-2pm shifts.

Reading through the posts, it looks like everyone is doing great and either maintaining or making great progress! Good job, everyone.
DreadPiratePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

192 today, up from last week but to be expected after watching my Panthers get whomped last night. Drinking lots of water today, lots of water. Happy Monday everyone!
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote