Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #181  

Height: 5'5"

Working today. Leaving tomorrow morning. So thought I would check in very quickly.

Nici - A lot of times, I lose very quickly in the first week or two. As you say - water weight. I started by identifying 15 as the goal, then realized I would slack if it came off quickly. Frankly, if I got 10, I would be thrilled. I just need to reverse this trend. But I chose 20 because I need a sustained 30-day effort, and felt like this was the number, based on my past losing history at the beginning of an effort and at this weight. Two days in, and doing all right. Woot for the 1.8 pound plunge. We deal with enough 2-pound random gains that I am all for celebrating the random losses. And yay on killing the exercise!

Kelly - WOOT on the double figures!!!! So very exciting. Yep. Let's meet in Queenstown. If I don't have it sorted, you can sort me out then. =)

So much to do to prep, but I am feeling the "loss mindset" creep back. Lots of travel tomorrow. Going to pack some hardy sugar snap peas for snacks at the airport / on the plane, and eat dinner after my first conference session. Who schedules a session on a Sunday afternoon?

Thank you, all, for being in my corner. Hopefully, I will be able to check in while at the conference. If not, I hope to bring good news when I do check in again.

Kelly
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #182  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi all. My foot is better now, but I'm still going to take it easy for the rest of this week. We leave on Friday for hunting, and I just want it to be ok by then. I might go to workouts this week, but just won't go crazy hard on it. I think that hunting should be fine because of the boots that I wear. But, I will be out of computer range, so I'll be offline for a week, starting on Friday.

When I get back, we'll see where I am with my weight. I usually drop 4-5 pounds over the week, so I hope that happens again. When I'm back, I'll see where I am so that I can make a good plan to make it through to the end of the year. Would like to be at onederland.

Thanks to all of you for your comments! I'll "hunt" for some inspiration while I'm gone, and hope to spread some words of encouragement when I'm back. Laurie, I do remember my hunting trip from last year! It was amazing. I'm looking forward to going again, and see if it is even better.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #183  

Just a quick check-in from Seattle. We were advised not to rent a car. The costs of parking would be prohibitive, and the traffic would be horrendous due to the Monday Night Football game in Seattle. So between runing through the airport and taking public transportation (which includes walking) and just walking to dinner, etc., I got in 7.5 miles of walking. Woot! And I have avoided the food they are handing out by just going for a quick walk each time, and then I am stuck in sessions. So far, things are going well here.

Diane, if I don't get a chance to check in again this week, please know I will be thinking about you. Hope all goes well with the hunt and the foot!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hi everybody, Just popping in for a quick post.

Have been staying away from the boards, but I have been doing well. I'm down 15.

Nice to see some action on the thread. I'll post more soon.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 AM   #185  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I didn't want to begin posting until I was actually sticking with a plan. I've now kept it together for just over a week - not a lot, but it's still a start.

I've got a new job in a new city and part of all these new beginnings is losing the 40-ish pounds I gained in the past year. I'm so happy to see so many familiar faces still here.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #186  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

You ladies are all doing fantastic! I am impressed with each of you!

I'm holding steady right now and am okay with that. I am on Prednisone for the next 5 months - already on it a month - so I will be really happy to not gain weight! Still sticking no soda, diet or other wise and no artificial sweeteners. I kicked sugar as of Oct. 1st - slow start on that one hahaha. Had cookies on Sunday and yesterday. Today starts another day ... so far so good. I think not having the sugar will be harder than the soda. i figure this is about being healthy - not just skinny.

Keep up the great work everyone!
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #187  
Diane

Well, didn't go work out this morning. I just don't want to risk hurting it before hunting. I don't know what to do. I'm not worried about not working out because I know I'll be able to start it all back up when I get home from hunting. But here's the crazy part... I feel like I should go just to tell everyone why I'm gone. It isn't like I'm best buddies with these people, but I see them all the time when working out. I would wonder where they are if they were gone. I'm just really happy with how good my foot feels and I know it is because of resting it. I'll stress about how I get back to running and back up to speed on lifting and spin when I'm back.

Kat: You are so right, that it is about being healthy. We all want to lose weight and look better, but we really need be healthier for the rest of our lives!

Nici: Always a good thing when you see a loss! Yeah, weight loss comes a lot from walking almost all day. We don't go fast, but you're on your feet all day long. And, really, the food plan is set in stone. It isn't like you can go get a pizza or something. You eat what you have at camp. Breakfast is usually a protein bar for me, and then lunch is more of a snack while we're out in the field. Dinner is better, but I never feel the need to eat a lot. Because I'm usually way more interested in just resting!! Ha!

Martini! So glad to see you posting. I'm glad you're back. Congrats on the new job and new city. Seems like a great time for a new start!

Uber: Good to see you and glad things are going well!

Laurie: Enjoy your trip! If I don't see you before, I'll talk to you after the big vacation!
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #188  

Both Martini and Uber! So glad I checked in.

Just a quick check-in. My conference strategy is not to eat during the day except for some sugar snap peas, which are easily transportable, then to eat whatever I want for dinner. Not a particularly healthy strategy, but it's only three days. My husband offered to bring me lunch today. I declined. He said, "Are you sure? We all know what you're like when you're hungry."

And I thought - I am always either hungry or stuffed, seldom do I feel "comfortable." This is true whether I am following a plan or not. I am not telling him that I am eating almost nothing during the day to save calories for the times I am with him, but I am spending some time thinking about this. I don't like being hungry. But I almost always am, even when I'm eating sufficient calories to gain weight quickly. Is this true for others?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #189  
thinks she can

Hi Nici! Nice to meet you!

Diane: Hi! I'm sorry to hear you're working through a foot injury, but it sounds like the hunting trip is going to be a blast (no pun intended).

Laurie: hihihi! My thing with hunger might be similar to yours. Or not. I don't know so I'll just throw it out there.

Actual physical hunger tends not to register with me. I find that I often confuse being hungry with thinking about food. I could eat all day and say that I'm still hungry because I'm still thinking about food. When I eat a really, really big meal and I'm stuffed to the point of physical discomfort, that's the only time I would say I'm full.

I've been playing around with a few things and two seem to be relevant here. First, I'm focusing on my calorie count. If I give myself a daily calorie budget and plan out what I'm going to eat for the day in the morning, I tend not to think about food again (and because I'm not thinking about food I'm not registering any hunger).

Second, I'm looking for hunger indicators that I might be confusing for other feelings. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm still trying to figure out what hunger feels like. If it's been more than 4 hours since I've eaten, if my energy is low and if I'm under my calories for the day, I give myself a green light to be "hungry" (whatever that is).

My two cents for what it's worth, but I'm also still in my restart honeymoon phase. Fingers crossed I remember this when the going gets tough!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 PM   #190  

Hey Everybody!

It may take me a while to get to know everybody, but it's nice to see some familiar faces.

Laurie and Martini and Kelly Hey! Glad to see you guys here!

Diane Sore foot=boo. I've been having a foot problem on and off for a while now. Hope yours is better.

NiciNice to meet you.

Sorry if I missed people.

Everything going well on my end. I don't know what my problem was, but I was STARVING all day. I don't eat breakfast-- because I have a cup and a half of 2% milk that I drink in the morning with my coffee. I'm used to it and normally that tides me over to lunch no problem, but today I was so hungry I was about to faint.

Really hungry again by dinnertime.

No idea why but I sure hope it means I'm going to see the scale move. :-)

I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. Life's on an even keel and it's a good time to think about weight loss!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #191  
Diane

Hey all. Just checking in. Today and tomorrow at work and then I'll be gone. I'm so ready.

I was just thinking that Mandy might be getting close to having her baby. Hope everything is going well for her. Missing hearing from her!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #192  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Hi all!!

2 weeks left until my due date, and I'm about to pop!

Can't wait to get back to regular diet and exercise and regular check ins... Hubby has already agreed to daddy duty for an hour an evening after I recover from L&D so I can get in some ME time with various workouts.

Miss you guys! Be back posting regularly soon, I hope!
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #193  

Kat, Hi! Sorry I missed you.

Diane, Hope you are off on your trip by now and your foot isn't hurting.

Laurie, Regarding hunger, I've been at this long enough to figure out that for me, I really have no problem whatsoever resisting hunger. I know what it feels like and it bugs me somewhat, but I can easy switch it off. On the other hand what drives me to eat too much feels more like a compulsion, is totally unrelated to real hunger, and is MUCH harder to resist.

Martini One thing I've noticed about myself is that-- I know this will sound super weird-- I associate being overly full with being hungry. It's like I get to a certain point of fullness and it makes me want to eat more.

Nici I've been slowly getting better. I've still been walking, but trying to stay off the treadmill.

Doing good over here. Lost another pound, so I'm down 16 since my restart.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #194  
thinks she can

hello hello

Mandy: I'm so glad to hear that your pregnancy is going well! I picked up on the good news when I was lurking a few months back and I can only imagine how ready you are to move on to that next step in motherhood.

Nici: I don't know that there's such a thing as having that food monkey completely off my back. If that day ever does come I'll certainly welcome it, but I'm not going to wait for it. It sounds like we're all in the same boat when it comes to trying to figure out how to deal with these things.

Diane:

Uber: Associating being overly full with being hungry isn't weird at all in my eyes. For me that fullness has always been a signal to keep on eating. I wouldn't call it hunger, but whatever it is it's very deeply ingrained for me.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #195  

Mandy! So excited to hear that you are soon to have a baby! Can't wait to hear the good news!

Martini So, it's not just me who feels like being full is a signal to eat more! We are so odd! (we fellow weight strugglers, I mean)

Had yummy fish tacos for dinner and even so when I logged my calories, MFP sternly warned me that I wasn't eating enough calories. i totally love that when it happens by accident!