Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 06:30 PM   #16  
Om shanti

Default Re: Here is a web site that you might be interested in

Quote:
Originally posted by karefree2
It does work though. By eating things low in fat (whole, natural food like fruits and veggies and low fat meats like skinless chicken and fish) you will keep your total calories low because the calories are low on these items anyway.
It does seem like it should work that way. However, I've heard from an awful lot of people who ended up realizing that, for them, a low-fat diet also was a high-sugar diet. Indeed, the biggest complaint with low-fat diet products is that manufacturers have often had to add so much sugar to make them palatable to the public, sufficiently so to get enough sales to substantiate selling the product! It's relatively easy to eat a low-fat, high-calorie diet, if you're not careful.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:21 PM   #17  

Yep Brian, that is why I said whole, natural foods. The manufacturers don't have to mess with them because they are grown and not manufactured.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #18  
Live for the Moment!

Thank you all for your advice and knowledge...

I think mainly, Im just going to try and make healthier choices... Low fat but still good for you...I wont waste my fat grams or calories on unhealthy things... unless of course its a special treat..

Like tonight, I made low fat spaghetti with extra lean meat, lots of veggies and whole wheat pasta....YUM!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:39 AM   #19  
Om shanti

Makes sense, karefree2. Most folks I know have had a dickens of a time trying to keep manufactured foods out of their cupboards. It is so much easier, after a hard day of work, to plop some spaghetti into some boiling water and some low-fat pasta sauce in a saucepan, and, voila! Ten minutes later you have dinner.

And, of course, industry stands ready to make us feel like we're doing the right thing, but making faux-whole foods -- items that claim to be healthy or "made from whole-grains" but are indeed manufactured products, with many of the benefits of whole foods removed. My cousin is the Director of Nutrition for the Pritiken Longevity Center, and he travels the country doing a slide show for groups that ask him. During most of the show, he shows people how to decode the language manufacturers use to hide ingredients or processes that they'd rather you not know they're employing. It is great fun, since he's a real comedian sometimes, and after a while the audience begins to guess what the manufacturer is hiding.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #20  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I did the low-fat vegetarian thing for about a year. Really focused on whole grains, good protein, lots of fruits and veggies. I didn't limit calories, just fat. Severely limited it, actually. I was on a mailing list. I subscribed to Vegetarian Times and read each issue cover to cover. I collected vegetarian and low fat cookbooks. I read Pritikin like the Bible.

I gave up.

I was ALWAYS hungry. I'd eat and eat and almost never was satisfied. I didn't lose a bit of weight. I was unhappy, wretched, and no fun to be with. Just ask Hunter.

I guess my body just needs some fat. I tried the low-carb thing later, and had more success with that. But both seem too extreme for me.

I feel better and have the most energy when my carb/protein/fat percentages are pretty much even. 40-30-30 is what I aim for, but I'm usually about 50-20-30. I use Fitday to see where I am during the day (gotta love those pie charts!).

So, don't be afraid to try different food plans, and tweak them to respond to the needs of your body. If you listen to your body (not your tastebuds) and see how much energy you have after eating a certain way for a while, you'll get a pretty good barometer of what you need.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #21  

Synger, I so very much agree with you. Everyone is so different and what works for some does not work for all. I can't restrict my carbs (atkins is murder for me) because my body needs the veggies and fruits to operate right. Not a new story, I know. I have heard of others who have had the same problem but for those who can eat lots of protein I think the high protein diets are great. They aren't for me though. There is nothing I love better (well, chocolate but I have yet to find a high chocolate diet) than fresh fruit in season so low fat works best for me. I really believe that it is the calorie count that 'counts' anyway. Whether we are loosing with a low fat or a high protein plan, we are loosing because we are eating fewer calories. JMHO
Closed Thread