exercise thread for week of August 3rd

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning,

This morning I did:

Donna Richardson four Day Rotation-15 minute arms section and 15 minutes hips/thighs section

Leisa Hart-10 minutes of cardio-Ball Aero Mambo (this is fun!)

40 minutes total-I'm happy with that.

Synger, which stretching tape did you order?

Take care,
    Sherry
  • Happy Monday (not)

This morning I did Leisa Hart's "Burn the Fat" tape. I will attepmt yoga for the first time tonight if I feel up to it. (Crunch Candlelight Yoga).

Sherry
  • I have done NO exercise the last two days and I'm rather frustrated about it. It's been either so muggy that you fell like you've been slapped with a wet hot blanket when you walk outside, or it's been raining.

I did some cleaning, but no tapes. I really feel frustrated by our houseguest, who sleeps on our foldout couch in our computer/exercise/play room. When she's downstairs, I don't want to go down there. Last night I was DETERMINED to do a tape, so after I finally got Gem to bed (we've been having bedtime wars lately), I headed downstairs. And houseguest was asleep already. /sigh

So today is my day off, and I'm gonna lift and do cardio.

I DID get my three new video tapes -- much earlier than I had expected. I've previewed the Bellydance Slimdown (which looks fun and do-able) and Pilates for Dummies (which looks like many of the positions will be really difficult, but I'm gonna give it a try).

The stretch tape is Total Body Stretch for Beginners, with Tamilee Webb. I haven't previewed it yet, but it got rave reviews over on Videofitness.com. I got it specifically because it has three sections, each one of which stretches the whole body. The first one is done standing, the second sitting, and the third on the floor. I have such problems getting down on the floor sometimes and doing floorwork, that the promise of standing and sitting stretch routines that work the whole body sold me.

I'll let you know what it's like when I try it out.
  • Oh, I feel SO much better. I spent an hour lifting this morning, and raise my sets on a bunch of the moves from 2 sets to 3. I got that nice post-lifting quiver in my arms.

Then, once Gem went down for her nap (or at least was playing quietly in her room, since I don't think she actually slept), I put in Sweat and Shout. It's my only Richard Simmons tape, but I wanted something dancy and energetic that I KNEW would work me hard. I can't find my Donna Richards Donna-Mite tape, which is what I'd rather have done, and I didn't want to try a new tape today (like the Bellydance Slimdown), so Richard it was.

He's not THAT bad, really. He's quite motivational, and not too chatty. But he sux at leading. He doesn't "teach" movements -- he just does 'em. Fortunately, it doesn't really matter on his tapes. As long as you keep stepping along, and give it a try, you can learn the easy movements after a few times.

Tell me about the 4-day rotation. I've heard good things about it, and the idea that you can mix and match the four 15 minute sections sounds very useful. I like that sort of flexibility.

I've also looked at the swiss ball workouts (those big inflatable balls). What is that like?
  • Synger,

I liked the two sections of the Donna Richardson tape, but there is some floorwork for the hips/thighs section.

I don't have a swiss ball-the tapes I have are Ball Aero by Leisa Hart. You use three different weighted balls-2lb, 4lbs and 6lb. They have velcro straps on them. You can see a preview on Collage. Leisa Hart's own website-LeisaHart.com is selling them. I think it's ten dollars less than Collage, and they may have free shipping too. I really like her workouts. She is a very friendly and motivating instructor.

I may try and track down Donna Mite on ebay.

I have some Richard Simmons tapes, but he doesn't demonstrate or instruct, and half the time they dont' show his feet. I may pull one out and try it anyway. They are fun. I used to watch his fitness show eons ago.

I am definitely interested in the Tamilee Webb stretching tape. I am on videofitness too...and have spent way too much money as a result!

Take care,
    Sherry

I may try Candlelight Yoga tonight, if Matthew goes to sleep at a decent hour. I'm hoping it will help me sleep-I've been having trouble.
  • Good morning,

I did the Firm Basics Fat Burning workout...okay, I tried. Some of the floorwork at the end did me in. I just laid on my mat, staring at the screen saying "you've got to be kidding-my body doesn't GO that way!"

I may need a rest day tomorrow. The Firm always does me in.

Sherry
  • I went rollerblading for 40 minutes last night, I love it, although when I was about 2 blocks from home, one of my skates hit the grass and I did a faceplant into the concrete. My knees are both black and blue, my right knuckles and elbow are skinned pretty nicely, as is my left palm. My battle wounds!
  • Hey I can post here now. Yipee!!! I did my back exercise as I always should but don't and I did 1 mile of my new two mile walk DVD. I hope to start doing this 5 to 6 days a week. They say after 3 weeks things become a habbit I hope so. I sure do need that kind of habbit in my life right now. I love this DVD. The biggest part of me not exerciseing was because I did not want to go out. Now I can stay in.

I sure hope your feeling better Raelynn. That sounds painful.
  • i am proud of my workout yesterday. we walked to the swimming hole, did a bunch of laps, thenchanged, did a little walking, a long stretch of jogging, and walked back to the car. we were there for about 1 1/2 hours. yay!
  • Welcome Howie!! We're glad to see you in the Exercise Thread. /hug Getting myself moving every day has really helped. I feel better, more energetic, and more motivated. Even if I only walk 20 minutes, it's more than I would have done a month ago. Every little bit helps!!

Are you doing the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds tapes? Which version do you have? Some of her recent ones have "extras" like stretchy bands or hand weights and stuff.

I have one of her earliest ones, the Weight Loss Walk. I tell ya, I can only do the first two miles. The pace speeds up so much that my shins hurt and my calves ache. I'm better off doing a dancy tape -- at least they change movements enough that my lower legs aren't taking all the brunt of it.

I must say, though, that my pace for hallwalking at work has really increased. I used to do one floor in ten minutes, so if I took a 30 minute break I knew I'd do three floors. Now I get done with three floors, look at my watch, and still have ten minutes to go. So I've GOTTA be going faster.
  • i just got a pedometer. i'm wearing it all day today for the first time and it's frustrating how my sit-on-my-*** office job has kept me under 1,000 steps and it's noon! this is horrible. i think i'll go on a walk at lunch.

but yesterday, i got it right before a short walk at the park, and that was 3,000 steps on it's own.

i like having it on, it's going to make me more accountable.
  • Yes synger I am doing Leslie Sansone Two mile walk DVD. I like it because the time goes by so much faster than just walking by myself. I could not beleave how fast the mile went.
  • I am happy to report that I went to curves today!! I feel especially excited about today because my heart rate is usually in the 60% range. Today I got those arms moving and got it up to between 70-80%. I figure if I am going to bother, I might as well make it count!!
  • yay sandi!

i just got a pedometer and i managed 9,542 steps yesterday. and i was taking extra walks, too. it's very hard to get to 10,000 but i will keep trying. darn office job makes it tough.
  • I'm proud of you both, Sandi and Howie!

Getting started is the hardest part. Howie, I started with Leslie Sansone tapes, and am now trying Tamilee Webb, Donna Richardson, kathy smith, the Firm, Leisa Hart, etc. I'm so thankful to her for putting out exercise tapes I could actually do! I"m not coordinated, and was very out of shape.

I took a rest day today, cause I did the Firm yesterday...they always wipe me out. They might be above my fitness level for a while.

Sherry