avoiding sugar and flour

• Back again.....seems to be a pattern......I've directed on and off since I was 11 and that was 55 years ago. Most recently I've been avoiding sugar and wheat flour. As always went well for a while(5months).......but am stuck again ( not a plateau but non-compliance on my part). I am so fearful of sliding back yet again .....help needed....thanks Paula
  • Paula, I feel for you. Most of us will have times when we know what to do, but we just can't get ourselves to do it. To me, the majority of this journey is mental. I also abstain from sugar and flour, which I find incredibly helpful.

Another thing that helps me is to have set times for my meals and I only allow for one snack which is always pre-planned. A diet that is more on the bland side also helps because it keeps food from being too exciting. I thought that might help you, although I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Your success has been tremendous (!!!) and I feel like I should be getting advice from YOU, but that's why we're all here supporting one another....you never know what will help when you read someone's post. Hang in there!
  • If it's any help, I am a carb/sugar fiend, and the longer I'm off it, the less I crave it. I feel so much better, too. I still have some carbs and some sugar, but not much. So - it gets better! I've been fighting my weight since elementary school, too, and didn't think I'd ever get better. I do think there's hope that this is the last time for me. I hope you find a workable plan for yourself. It's great that you're back and posting again!
  • Thank you both so much. When I was abstaining from flour and sugar, especially the sugar, I did feel better. I also agree it is mostly a mental issue. It helps knowing others out there are doing the same and struggling at times. Again, thank you for taking the time to offer support and encouragement.
  • I've been off flour and sugar 6 weeks. It's tough because they seem to be in everything. It seems like you've had a lot of success, and you can do it! You're over half way to goal. That must feel so great! Keep up the good work and think about how far you've come!
  • thanks
    Thinpossible thank you. I was cruising along but lost my footing a couple months ago....just hearing that it works for others really helps.
  • I've been off sugar, flour, potatoes and rice for a little over a year. I've just made work arounds. It gets easier but there are still times I think about it way too much. That's when I look for recipes that I can have.
  • I loooooove bread. One of the hardest things for me to resist is bread. Not really so much the crappy kind like sandwhich breads, but good bread. So I totally get the struggle. Limiting my allowance has helped greatly in curbing cravings for it.