Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #31  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I've been fat since I was a kid. Its been a combination of eating too much and the wrong food. Even while eating the right things I can manage to eat too much and gain wait. In fact, I've been guilty of doing just that over the past 10 months. In that time I managed to slowly put back on 40 of the the 155 pounds that I had lost the year before. I have taken 10 of those 40 pounds off again and I'm on my way to taking of the rest.

One of my biggest problems is late night eating. That is when I can do a lot of damage. When I get that under control, my weight loss is very successful.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 203/172/163

Height: 5'3"

Well, it started when I got with my ex-ex boyfriend. He was a butcher and came home with all these prime choice steaks all the time. We started eating steak alllll the time and cooked them all different ways. Steak with mashed potatoes and corn was our favorite but we also liked rice and beans, and other starchy food. We ate this stuff everyday in large quantities. I was 115 when we met. I ballooned up to over 200....probably around 235.

I lost a lot of the weight when I got with my kids dad because we didn't eat as much. But then 2 pregnancies later took a toll.
Again I lost some of the weight from breast feeding.
Then, it just started with eating out of boredom, not being active, eating huge portions, finishing everything on my plate even after being full or eating more just Cruz it was tasty.
So, I can say my weight gain was due to lack of exercise, over eating g/binge eating, and portion control. (Plus eating all the wrong foods....tons of carbs, starchy foods, greasy foods, fatty foods....etc)
Start203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Hello Sea Lady, I see that your stats are similiar to mine, and goals in weight loss too. Our height and weight goals I mean are similiar.

I enjoy these computer web site boards too. I have found myself, this summer, using the sites for the 1st time ever.

It's interesting, I sit down with my tall glass of ice water, and get so absorbed in these sites.

I do the 40Something, The Goal for the Day, and The Why I gained options here on this web site.

I think that drinking water as I'm blogging really helps me not to take in too many empty calories. However, I do have to look at the clock to remind myself to eat too.

Licorice is my weakness though, and my cavities account for that too I suppose. But, it's like chewing gum to me, and I definately don't drink caloric beverages while at a desk.

How is your diet going. I reduced from the 208 to 205 , once over PMS for this month...

Sincerely
1Bluerose68

Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 08-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #34  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Personally I think it has a lot to do with general happiness for me. I ballooned while at boarding school the first 2 years. after that the last 3 I basically stayed the same but got taller so I looked better. Then from the age of 11 I changed schools and became unhappy again so got bigger. got bullied got bigger.

I lost a lot when imoved out of home and got my own job and felt a bit of pride in myself. Then when I went to college I gained a lot again. graduated into the recession no job got bigger.

Moved to a new town got a temp job badly paid long drive. massive money troubles got bigger. then I got a new job much better pay closer to home no money worries started to pay off the debts and I got slimmer. I ended up dropping 70lbs in around 6 months.

I recently moved jobs again. much better paid but a lot further to travel and my weight has gone up again by a lot. its not been help by general fitness taking a dent due to injury.

When things go well I get slim when they are bad I comfort eat.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My family was all overweight, especially my mother. As a kid, I was active enough not to gain weight, but when I went out on my own I had to fight to stay thin. I usually ate breakfast and lunch because daytime was when I was most active and needed the calories. I ate just a snack at dinnertime, because my evenings were sedentary. That worked for years, even after marrying and raising a family. I cooked dinner, then sat down and read the paper while they ate. Fast Fwd to when my kids moved out on their own. DH didn't want to eat alone, so I started eating dinner, without changing breakfast and lunch. I was adding 800-1000 calories per day! I gained so fast. I knew it was happening, but skipping dinner was no longer an option but it was the only way to control my weight. I try cutting back on portions and it works for a while, but then I gain back whatever I lost.

On the other hand, DH is thin and eats whatever he wants. He does not eat large portions and NEVER finishes everything on his plate. Snacks on lots of baked goods, but never gains.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #36  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Do you think you got fat while eating normally, or do you think you got fat because you eat a lot more than your skinny peers?
I feel I was "chubby" from about age 4 on and I became overweight in third grade, so I guess around 9. I've spoken with my mom about this because I am one of 7 kids and the only one with a significant weight problem - and she doesn't remember me eating more than my siblings. My Dad is now obese and after menopause, my Mom gained some weight too, one brother is probably 20 pounds overweight and all 5 of my sisters are healthy weights. Growing up we did not eat too much at meal times - mainly due to the family budget... there was one piece of meat for instance per person, one roll, etc. We ate no processed foods, pop, candy, but were actually allowed to pick out one sugary sweet on Saturdays at the local country store... that started my love of Butterfingers! What I do remember over-eating on was homemade whole wheat bread! My Mom made fresh bread almost daily and I clearly remember eating 3 pieces as an after-school snack. My siblings probably ate 1? So, aside from probably being genetically predisposed to being at the upper end of the growth charts, I guess bread did me in! To this day I do notice that I seem particularly sensitive to bread. When I cut wheat out of my diet I lose more quickly and my stomach gets flatter.
When I got my own car as a teenager and a part time job, I became addicted to fast-foods. Something I had not be exposed to as a child. I would eat in my car, alone, and that was the beginning of my history of bingeing. I was around 190 when I graduated from high-school and just continued up until around age 26 when I went on a medically supervised liquid diet and lost over 110 pounds. Over the past 15 years, I've yo-yoed and ultimately ended up weighing more than ever. I told my doctor in June that I hadn't been hungry in a good year or so. She asked if my appetite had changed and I couldn't remember being hungry! I just love to eat. I love good food. I don't like fast food anymore. I love to prepare meals form my family and I love to bake. I eat when I'm happy, eat when I'm sad. (I see this tendency passed on to my youngest daughter and that makes me sad!) I guess that means I'm an emotional eater. Learning moderation.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #37  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori71 View Post
(I see this tendency passed on to my youngest daughter and that makes me sad!)
My oldest daughter (9) is overweight and I know that part of it is bad eating habits that she learned from my wife and I, and habits that we have allowed her to develop. Makes me sad too. I would hate to see her be overweight going forward, like I was when I was her age.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

Food is delicious. I compare food to drugs for people who are bigger. Its hard to give a drug addict only a "little" bit of drugs every day and still expect them to quit.
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #39  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
... learned a better way of coping with stress.
Hi there!!! I'm back and it's nice to see you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
My oldest daughter (9) is overweight and I know that part of it is bad eating habits that she learned from my wife and I, and habits that we have allowed her to develop. Makes me sad too. I would hate to see her be overweight going forward, like I was when I was her age.
Does your daughter know she is overweight? I don't think my 9 year old does. I think she's 95% for her age/height (she's tall too) and she's a really confident little thing. I've never heard anything from her that she's teased or feels insecure about it. I work 2 days a week outside of the home, so this summer we have all be focusing on making healthier choices here at home... the kitchen "closes" after breakfast and stays that way until lunch... we've started reading labels together. I cannot say that she is excited about it, but she is a science-lover and so the numbers and calorie in vs. calorie out thing interests her and she is more interested in exercise. My 10 year old isn't concerned about food and is naturally a veggie/fruit lover and can leave sugar and bread alone. I hate to think I've passed my demons on to my youngest one, but all I can do is set a good example now and encourage her.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #40  
Joe

Quote:

Does your daughter know she is overweight? I don't think my 9 year old does. I think she's 95% for her age/height (she's tall too) and she's a really confident little thing. I've never heard anything from her that she's teased or feels insecure about it. I work 2 days a week outside of the home, so this summer we have all be focusing on making healthier choices here at home... the kitchen "closes" after breakfast and stays that way until lunch... we've started reading labels together. I cannot say that she is excited about it, but she is a science-lover and so the numbers and calorie in vs. calorie out thing interests her and she is more interested in exercise. My 10 year old isn't concerned about food and is naturally a veggie/fruit lover and can leave sugar and bread alone. I hate to think I've passed my demons on to my youngest one, but all I can do is set a good example now and encourage her.
I don't think she would have except that at her last checkup the doctor was alarmed about how much weight she had gained in the past year and she wanted her to change her diet and eating habits. A lot of those habits she learned from us. She acknowledged what she needed to do, and she made an effort at first. But the follow through has been hard. The other hard thing is that my wife and I often give the kids quick meals that aren't the most healthy. We developed a bad habit of making them food that they wanted to eat, rather than just make healthy food and give them no choice but to eat it. So, I feel bad that much of this has been our own fault. Its hard now to try to reverse that course, but we have to. I was telling my wife just yesterday that we have to start making meals more healthy and just give the kids no other alternative... and to take away the option of eating processed food snacks between meals.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Wink I dropped 5 Lbs since yesterday. But I never should have gained that much in a few da

I am happy to say that by the end of this afternoon, my weight had dropped 5 lbs since yesterday morning.

I suppose I overdid the H2O drinking bit. I drank a lot of H2O in the past few days, and got back to my M-F workout after taking a few days off from Exhaustion. As I had mentioned earlier, I was getting so tired that by the end of my workout period at the gym I would almost fall off of the stairmaster .

So I took a few days off and only walked round the block about 8 times instead. Then afterwards I felt rested so I drank tons of water to survive our heat wave, but then the next day I had retained 5 Lbs on the scale.

Then today I finally wasn't constipated and had enough roughage in my diet recently that I finally had a few productive bowel movements. Now thank goodness my tummy is not quite as distended from bloating and constipation and I dropped 5 Lbs.

I must go now, I'm Late for the gym and in quite a hurry to keep up my pace of mind. I love the feeling of sweating after a great gym workout. Then at night I make a smoothy and it is like a reward for making myself work out at the gym.

Gotta Go, Bye folks....
1Bluerose68
190/185/160
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

My mum is skinny, she's always had that model body and loved exercising. She wanted to raise me without many sweets and salty food so whe never ever had chocolate or candy in the house. I have a theory that the absolut absense of junk food in the house led me to never have to deal with eating those kind of food in a reasonable amount so whenever i got my hands on it i would eat it all. Whe never had a box of chocolate so i didn't learn that, faced with a lot of sweets, i could eat one or two and leave the rest to the next day and so on. I developed a sweets fetish and at puberty i started overeating. I had a lot more acces to sweets due to my having an allowance by the age of 10 or 11 and it was by that time that my weight and food issues began. I'd buy lots of candy and eat it on the bus back from school or i'd get ice cream and eat it in the afternoon while mum was running errands. It was a sad, lonely and embarrassing habit that turned into BED when i was a teen. I certanly ate more than i should and i ate a lot of unhealthy food. I never liked meat, so i used to avoid it and when i was 14 i finally became a vegetarian, and that helped a little because i began eating a bit healthier. I've been gaining and subsequently losing weight since i was 14 and i know for sure that i both ate too much and ate food that was not healthy at all.

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 08-12-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #43  

Quite simply because i love food, have an enormous appetite and did not want to do any portion control or diet restriction.
SO GLAD i have managed now to discipline myself in that area knowing that if i don't i can kiss my goals goodbye
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #44  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
It's so nice to see you again, too!!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #45  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Hm , a number of things really..

- come from a portuguese family, eat a lot & then some etc
- had a few issues with men when I was young & also a non existant father
- a lot of depression & anxiety over the years, and im agoraphobic, so next to no movment inside & binging episodes
- been off & on meds , im sure didnt help
- have pcos
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote