Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 276.4/215/160

Height: 5'6

Uber----you can do it and way to have determination. I'm going to disneyland in November and am determined for the same goals!!!!
jenjenangel027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #332  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
But in my humble opinion, the most important aspect of choosing a weight loss plan is to find something you can stick with long term. My past weight loss is filled with experiences of starting diets and not finishing them. For me, it was critical to find a plan that I could stick with long term.
Couldn't agree more... I have tried a few "official" diets in my time - from liquid to WW to the Zone - and for now I simply am trying to eat whole foods, eliminate processed stuff (which includes most "white stuff"), and am counting calories over at My Fitness Pal. I try to stay at 1300 if I'm not working out that day. I need to get on a regular exercise plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetrising View Post
I practice ritual calorie counting to ensure that I eat at least 1000 calories a day - this has been a big problem for me in the past, not eating enough
Do the supplements you're on reduce your appetite? I'm happy you've found what works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeraFilia View Post
I have been so excited and wanting to share, but I figured it would be best to make sure all the family knew first, and then we were traveling and all that jazz.
Congrats! I'm late to the group, so does this mean a big move? Another state? New job for you too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
As of last Thursday, I decided to go 90% vegan.
Had to chuckle at the 90% vegan! What's the 10% of your diet that isn't vegan? I tell my vegan friends that I could be vegan with the exception of CHEESE! Actually, I was vegan for about 3 weeks last year at the coaxing of a friend and it wasn't that bad. I didn't miss cheese or meat all the bad, but it wasn't a good fit for me doing so much meal prep and since I'm married to a MEAT man - it was twice the meal prep. I could live on rice, beans, corn tortillas and fresh salsa and all those things are vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
So I went, and I'm glad I did.
That's awesome that you and your son can support each other this way! Kuddos to you for going! I LOVE MFP! I've been using it off and on for a year or so and have most of my regular recipes in there. Through trial and error, I have also realized that whatever food I am making is what the family is eating. Luckily, my kids favorite dinners involve chicken, salmon and shrimp, and I can usually easily remove the carb part of it and up my veggies or salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjenangel027 View Post
I did the c25k and even though I felt like I was gonna die I finished
YEAH!

I've been at home with a sick kiddo for 4 days now. I am supposed to work tomorrow and Thursday, but she's still running a high fever, so I doubt I can take her to the sitters tomorrow. It's been pretty warm for us here in Seattle (until today) and it's so strange to see her bundled up under two blankets with a raging fever when inside the house is 80 degrees. We leave for vacation on Saturday for 10 days, so I hope no one else gets sick!

I was down 1 pound today. I weigh myself everyday. It's what works for me and keeps me accountable. When I only weigh in once a week I do CRAZY things the day before like drink super dieter's tea, eat only grapes, eat only protein... you get it... historically, I have a dysfunctional relationship with food!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #333  

Question for you ladies...when did your husband's start noticing weight loss??? I know most guys sometimes don't notice little details so just curious.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #334  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I'm trying to be more flexible this time-- I'm including pasta meals a couple times a week, and experimenting with including portion-controlled treats. I'm hoping that maybe this will prevent the pent up desire to binge that I didn't even know I had.
The kids go back to school on August 26. I'm setting a mini-goal to lose 3 more pounds and weigh 255 on the first day of school. That would be a 30 lb loss so far!
Hi! I have a history of binge eating also (like eating 2 cookie sheets of cc cookies), so I understand the dangers in having completely off limits foods. I am not being so rigid, it's more like a guideline. To be honest with you, I haven't had the raging temptations recently. It's the plan and then real life happens. If I'm served pasta, I'll eat it. But, you better believe, I'm NOT baking! I'm not going to lead myself INTO temptation. And store-bought treats don't get me.

Jen - My husband knows I'm in the grove and trying to lose weight, so he comes on thick with the compliments. At this weight though, I honestly feel it takes about 20-25 pounds to notice. I'm taking pictures this time. (Just for me!) P.S. We are going to Disney World in November and that's incentive for me too. Walking around for 4 days = torture for me in this condition.

Last edited by Nori71; 08-05-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #335  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori71 View Post
Congrats! I'm late to the group, so does this mean a big move? Another state? New job for you too?
Yes, a big move... from South Carolina to Indiana, not as bad as from SC to Texas and then back, but still pretty big. And I started selling Tastefully Simple when my hubby started seminary, so that will move with me... but I'll likely be seeking out some type of part time work (anything really, preferably not fast food though - but only because I'd eat all day!) to help pay off the massive student loan debt.

Quote:
Question for you ladies...when did your husband's start noticing weight loss??? I know most guys sometimes don't notice little details so just curious.
I don't know that he's noticed so much, but he is aware - and very supportive - of my effort. The fact that he sees me basically naked every day probably removes some of the "oh, wow, you lost weight!" surprise of it. :P
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Everyone--

I am sorry I have been out of pocket for a few days! I am still here and I am still reading everyone's posts. I am still struggling--a few good days followed by a few not so good days. I am not giving up, but admit that it is frustrating, especially because I am in the early stages of trying to lose the weight I lost before and then some.

Mandy--congrats! I am really happy for you and your husband.

Welcome to Nora and Joe--glad to have you joining us.

I continue to appreciate everyone's posts and insights. So much of it resonates with me.

Sorrry for the short update and post, but I have to get back to work. I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know that I am still here and still trying.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #337  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Laurie: It may not be what a small part of you was hoping for, it is still a good number and it sounds like you understand why it's doing what it's doing. So that's good.

Diane: When you know that the only reason you're not wanting to do a work out is because you don't feel like it mentally, then sucking it up and pushing through is always the only good option. And you always end up feeling better afterward. And I'm glad that I can provide support.

Jen: All that matters is making sure it works for you. If stepping on the scale everyday is going to make the process more difficult for you, then I think you're on the right track. I'm working on C25K, too! Sort of. I'm not actually sticking strictly to their recommended schedule. It is important to me to increase my speed as well as my distance and, given that I'm running cross-country, I've had to make some adjustments.

As for husbands, I can't chime in on that one. I'm in the process of a divorce. But it's a GOOD thing.

Uber: It was nearly a no-loss week for me, too. We all know that it's going to happen eventually. Hang in there, though, it'll pass. Maybe he was more liberal or it may it's just one of those weeks.

Nori: They have been known to for some people, but my lack of appetite pre-dates the supplements. From as early as middle school, probably connected to my depression, I didn't eat because I was hungry but more because I knew in the back of my mind that I had to consume something. In fact, since the supplements, I've found myself eating more regularly. And this last week I've felt like no matter how much I'm shoveling into my mouth, I'm still hungry. The upside, I stopped by the store last night and got some veggies and blueberries and so breakfast today was awesome.

I'm glad you've found something like that that works for you with the scale. It's always incredibly important to do that.

Mandy: I'm still so excited for you and your family. I can't wait until you get all settled into that house and start sharing photos of the inside with us!

As for me...
Sigh. The scale was back up to 222.0 lbs today. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a weigh-in day, I probably wouldn't have recorded the number. Also – wth, scale. The first time I stepped on it this morning, it returned 201.0 lbs. Are you kidding me!? Even more evidence that I think I need to break down and buy my own scale. A new scale. A scale that hasn’t lost its mind. >.>

Additionally, today is a rest day for my planks, squats, and calves. Will be running during my walk with Luna today. I’ve got a full 7.5 hour day at work today so I’m pretty relieved that it happened to coincide with a rest day from my strength training exercises. Between the rest day and the fact that I picked up a bunch of blueberries and veggies, I'm hoping that this ridiculous hunger that hasn't wanted to go away for the last week will start to diminish. Hopefully.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #338  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Thanks Garnet, Martini, Slash, Jen, Uber ... and everybody else for your warm welcome and kind words. Wow, this is quite an active thread! I'm not used to seeing so much activity!

I'm glad I am in good company. I will write more when I'm home from work and can read all of your posts.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #339  

Height: 5'5"

I think I've become addicted to this forum! So much work to do, and I plan on staying until 10 or so tonight (with the exception of some afternoon gym time), but I checked in and now feel compelled to respond.

Diane - I LOVE that story about your son. First, that he's doing so well. Secondly, that your maternal advice was revisited on you in a positive way. You rock!

Jenje - Yay for you for finishing day 1 of C25K. I sort of fell off of the C25K bandwagon when I had knee issues, but I am going to try to figure out the best place to jump back on for my work-out today. That first day is. so. hard. I tell myself, "This isn't supposed to be easy, but of course you can do it."

LotusMama - Great to see you still around and working hard to make progress!

Nora - I was vegan for about a year and a half when I was 21. But I distinctly remember looking at this cold fried chicken and feeling utter despair that I would never be able to have such a broad category of foods again. I ate the (not-very-good) chicken, and then it was done. So, this means that when my husband was eating barbecue chicken wings and I was eating amazingly good oatmeal, I gave myself permission to just eat one of the wings. I also ordered a side of bacon (three strips) on Saturday, and ate all three strips. Finally, I allow myself one post-work-out scoop of protein powder added to my oatmeal after lifting weights (roughly three times a week). Hmmm... maybe I'm closer to 80%. ;-)

Uber - Your determination is so inspiring! Lots of walking has a great impact on the scale for me. In terms of morning-after scale results, I will take a day at the amusement park 100 times before I will take a really great hour-long work-out. You are totally going to rock this! And you will have a GREAT time on your vacation, too. P.S. Is it super-anal of me that I feel impelled to correct you by saying I'm at 222.4, not 224. =) Those 1.6 pounds were a lot of work!

Mandy - I am so excited for your new phase in life! And it's great that you're doing the weight control thing and getting the resulting energy boost for a time when you'll really need it.

When my husband noticed I started losing weight - This one's interesting for me because I think my husband is completely ambivalent about my weight loss. When I got up to about 240, immediately prior to our wedding, he made comments like, "Why did you stop going to the gym?" But he's also told me that he doesn't like "skinny girls." Honestly, I think my issues are conflicting with his issues, and it's best to leave the subject alone. I hate when people comment on my food choices, and it's kind of hard to talk to him about weight loss effort without inviting those comments, which he's only too happy to give regardless. His ex-wife got weight loss surgery and lost a bunch of weight, and, in his words, "decided she was too good for" him. Her post-weight-loss affair cost him his first marriage, so he's sensitive to it. I also don't want to hear, "You've gained weight" comments, so I'm not going to solicit the "You look great after losing the weight" comments.

I have a standing desk that I can also sit at, and I usually mix about 50/50 standing/sitting. Today, I have stood almost the entire day, and chosen to walk into the common area to recycle papers rather than dispose of them in the box below my desk. Soon, I will be doing some running. Plus, I have had a productive day at work. Good day all around.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #340  

Wow! I missed two posts while I was writing my novel, in between small work tasks.

Jessica - Your scale would make me CRAZY. I also love that our stats are so similar, and that we both want to be runners. Add in the divorce craziness, and we are practically twinners! Glad that you're getting better hours at work, too.

Joe - Yep. We are an active group. I love it! I've seen your posts elsewhere. You've been around a while. So glad you found your way to this thread.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #341  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Thanks Laurie.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #342  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Lotus: You ninja'd me earlier! I can understand how having a few good days and a few bad days can drive you a little nuts, but the fact that you've resolved yourself to not let it derail you from your goals is such a great accomplishment. I'm coming up on a window of about 20 lbs where I've bottomed out several times in the past. It's a also been a period were I tend to plateau. It's going to mean that if the scale starts to be a brat (or crazy like it has been) that I'm just going to have to keep strong in the face of frustration.

Joe: You're in excellent company and we are very active. I'm so pleased with how active this group is because it means that I've always got someone to talk to about day-to-day things.

Laurie: I'm the same way when it comes to my responses, lol. I'll read through a person's post, write a reply to them, go get water or make breakfast or whatever, come back, write more. It's led me to getting ninja'd more than once. Lol.

I have noticed a lot of our similarities. It's nice to have someone around a similar range with similar fitness goals and similar life experiences. I'll admit that I've been a little jealous some days when you get your big whooshs and I'm just tinkering along at about 2.5 lbs a week. You're gonna undercut me here soon and I'm gonna keep right on using you as motivation.

In regards to your husband's comments on your weight, I think that's a good way to approach it and great advice. If you don't want to hear the negative comments, don't go fishing for the positive ones. I do think you're right that there are some personal issues that he has regarding the whole weight-loss thing that are left over from his ex. But that's okay, keep doing what you're doing and being the awesome person that you are and he'll realize that you are not his ex and you aren't going to dump him just because you're getting healthy.

Got my walk with Luna done, complete with my spurts of running. It was the funniest thing ever, though... I went into my third run determined to go farther than my farther distance from Sunday. When I succeeded, all I could think was "New distance reached: achievement unlocked!"
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #343  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Laurie:
Quote:
P.S. Is it super-anal of me that I feel impelled to correct you by saying I'm at 222.4, not 224. =) Those 1.6 pounds were a lot of work!
LOL! Not at all! it is a big difference. I must have taken off my glasses!

Lotus One good day and one bad day is a whole lot better than the alternative (every day is a bad day...) I'm loving our little group so much that I find myself thinking about what people have said at odd moments, and it keeps me going.[B]

Joe Isn't it great how active it is here? The 100lb club was really active back when I lost my first big chunk. It really helps me to pop over and check out what's going on-- keeps me focused.

JessicaAaarrggh. So sorry about the weird scale issues. That has been my life recently-- but IT WILL PASS!

Jen In November when you get to Disney, you will be SO GLAD you were working on weight loss now!

Nora Ugh. Binge eating. I could definitely eat an entire sheet of cookies. I eat all kinds of weird stuff that I wouldn't normally eat, like plain frosting, heavy cream, an entire quarter of a sheet cake (and I'm not the least picky about whether it's home baked.) and especially candy straight from the bag. Ugh. It's so weird because when I'm not eating like that it seems totally unappealing and I can't even imagine why I would.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #344  

Uber and Nora - Binge eating on weird stuff! I love, love, love Alfredo. That super-high fat, super-high calorie, full of processed stuff, almost irredeemable food. I have, on far too many occasions, taken a full jar from the cupboard, opened it, and eaten the entire thing with a spoon. And, of course, I've eaten entire pans of cookies, cakes, bags of candy, etc. But even "I don't care, I'll always be fat, I'm going to eat what I want" me was smart enough to keep Alfredo out of my house.

Uber and Joe - I also love how active the thread is. I want to talk about all of this stuff, but not with people in real life. As I've detailed too many times, talking to my husband is not a good option for me, and people who aren't actively working on weight loss don't deserve to be subjected to the minutiae of the things that we have to think about if we want to lose weight. Simple formula, my left toenail.

Jessica - We are both going to go through slow loss periods and faster loss periods, though I hope we are both lucky enough to avoid serious plateaus. Chances are, though, one or both of us will encounter them. But I feel inspired by you, and I am slowly incorporating more planking and body-weight strength-training in general into my life. And I LOVE your gaming analogy! Achievement unlocked! indeed! Don't know where you're located, but wouldn't it be cool to meet somewhere in a year or so and do a half-marathon together?

221.8. Approaching the dreaded 220, which I have long considered a rubber number. I hit it and bounce back up. Trying not to let it mess with my head. The other thing I do is tend to discount any loss up until that point. I am working on pretending that I'm looking at 231.8. It seems a lot easier to get over that particular decade hump. I'm not really fooling myself, though. =)

Mandy - I'm trying desperately to maintain your level of calm when you were approaching the much bigger century hump. You were so incredibly chill about it, even choosing to eat additional calories because you felt that you were flirting with slipping into unhealthy habits to conquer that particular barrier. I am going to try to emulate that, because my inclination is to attack it with all my might, exercise ungodly amounts, and eat minimally so that I can get past that number. I will not do that. I am going to stick with my regular exercise routine, though I may sneak in an extra walk, or maybe even a short run (Who am I kidding? All my runs are short.) , but I will not do as I have in the past, which is to work out for 4 or 5 hours as I approach a milestone. I will also recognize that TOM is around the corner, and I have experienced some pretty dramatic whooshes the last week, so I may be spending some time hovering around this number, and it's not some magical voodoo associated with that number.

Jessica - I just opened this thread in another window and refreshed before posting to make sure I hadn't been ninja'd! And I LOVE calling it that.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #345  

Uber... I know that is why I started so I didn't have to walk with all that extra weight!

Joe...that is why I followed this thread because of all the support...love it!

Jessica...scales suck! I will post more about that later but you can and you got this!

Nora...I have tied my binge eating to emotional eating so I made a promise to myself that I will go do something else when I am in that state and I reward myself once a week with ONE thing I have been craving...it has worked so far so good!

Laura...you got this keep on going strong girl!

Thank you everyone for the responses on hubby's! It is not all that important to me because he supports me but I just tend to make it not a big deal so I wondered if he saw the same things I did LOL

My scale is the devil....I weighed 5 times 5 different results up to a 6 lb difference....I think it is time for a new one!