Do You Exercise for An Hour A Day?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • According to the National Weight Control Registry, successful weight loss maintainers "perform about 1 hour of moderate-intensity exercise each day
    A high level of physical activity was common to 90% of participants, although very intense exercise wasn’t necessary since 76% of participants reported doing brisk walking. Weight training, cycling and aerobics were the next most common activities, and many people used more than one activity, so it’s about the amount of exercise not the type."

Do you exercise for an hour a day? That seems like a lot to me, but it may be what is required to get there and stay there for a majority of us.
  • I do not anticipate exercising an hour a day for maintenance when I get there. Currently, I exercise at most 30 minutes a day. Getting out and just moving my body without it being "formal" exercise and not sitting around all day would be optimal for maintenance for me.
  • I don't do nearly enough and yet oddly am one of the most active people that I know despite being huge. lol.

I do at least an hour of LOW intensity activity per day and more on some. It's getting the "moderate to high" intensity activity in that I struggle with. I am fine to walk for hours on end (seriuously, I've done a half marathon...but walking). but running winds me in a minute...
  • Yes. But I don't really think of exercise as something to do "for weightloss".

As I've aged, I started viewing consistent exercise as a way to relieve stress and keep all the moving parts in relatively OK working order. I want to be able to go for daily walks when I'm 90-something (as the 90-somethings in my neighborhood do -- I admire them!).

And, I've discovered that a much more gentle exercise routine works just fine for my keeping me where I want to be. I walk and run pretty much daily (with some cycling and kayaking thrown in) but nothing like the mileage or intensity that I used to think was necessary.

Edited to add: I know I'm not in the 100 pound club, but I saw my old friend Rhonda's post about how things have changed around here and I want to support her efforts to make this a better and nicer place for everyone!
  • No, I won't be exercising an hour a day, but do aim for 30 minutes.
  • I walk 5 miles a day 5-6 days a week, either outside or with a Leslie Sansone DVD. It takes me about 90 minutes and I've been doing it since August. The earlier in the day the better. I also do some resistance bands while I'm walking. I take Sunday and some Saturdays off depending on family activities. I imagine at some point I'll change it up for for now its working for me.
  • No. I walk for like 30 hour tops Mon-Fri, and I try to jog a for 40 minutes on the treadmill twice a week, but that's pretty much it.
  • Last time I lost over 60 lbs I walked for 2 hours a day most days. This time round I do at least 1 hr a day. Less exercise just isn't enough for me to shift the kgs. Damn my Irish peasant genetics - I evolved to move and eat bugger all.
  • Rhonda, so good to see you back, I've missed you my friend I don't walk daily but when I do it is a brisk walk for an hour. I have tried 30 minutes because I read some where that burning 250 calories is good but when I get to 30 minutes I think just a little longer and just keep going. I have found that I lose better and faster with more movement and I do worry that when I reach goal will I have to continue to maintain.
  • Quote: I don't do nearly enough and yet oddly am one of the most active people that I know despite being huge. lol.

I do at least an hour of LOW intensity activity per day and more on some. It's getting the "moderate to high" intensity activity in that I struggle with. I am fine to walk for hours on end (seriuously, I've done a half marathon...but walking). but running winds me in a minute...
    I have tried to do C25K several times and like you I am so winded in a minute that I can't continue the program, but I can slow it down and walk at 3.9mph
  • I'm working my way back up to a 1 hour effort. Currently I try for 30 minutes or so, with the thought at 300+lbs 30 minutes is better than 0 minutes.

I also try to walk around as much as possible, just to get myself moving more.
  • I'm with Mrs. Snark! I exercise 1 hour per day - and added an additional 2 hours of yoga per week - but not really for the weight loss. I've been told so many times that losing weight is 80% diet and only 20% exercise, and I definitely see that play out on the scale. I exercise because it makes me feel good, gives me energy, and makes me strong! I also like the toning aspect...I can definitely fit into smaller clothes at a larger weight (I'm in the upper 190s now and can easily wear most of my 12s). I've exercised regularly for years, even when I was close to 300 pounds. I think you just have to find something you like!
  • I've maintained (even lost a bit!) for the past 3 years, no way I do that much LOL

WHat I did do was change my mind about moving -- before, if I had to go to the store I'd drive, even tho it's a 5 minute walk from my house. Now I think of how I can walk places instead of driving (saved a ton on gas by the way!) I'm just UP and MOVING all the time now when I used to just sit and sit and sit for hourssssssssss at a time yuck!

Volunteering is a great way to stay active, it's free and it helps someone else! I love to shovel driveways for old folks, do their big heavy yard work, I feel like something's being accomplished LOL

I know it works for most people, but I just CAN'T pay 100s of dollars to go to a giant warehouse and pretend to walk on a treadmill LOL can't do it !!!
  • I do not. I tried that. Before I realized how important diet was to losing weight, I focused mainly on exercise.

I'd love to focus on diet AND exercise just as much, but in order for me to be better with my diet, I need the time to cook and plan my meals...which leaves not as much time for working out. I go to the gym probably 3 times a week for about 45 minutes, and we usually do something active on the weekends like hiking or biking. It's working for me now, but I will re-evaluate everything when I get to maintenance.
  • I guess exercising for 1 hour a day this is an option for those who do not have family, work and have their own housecleaners) this is too much(( If to talk about gym or active sport 3-4 times a week in enough. but every an deach day you should move!!! walk more, clean the house more often, go to the shop or visit friends) just do not sit at home where food all around you!!!;-))) i think these are good rules for maintaining you weight