YMMV as a scientific diet approach

• On first read, this reminds me of Ayurvedic diets, or the Blood Type diet, or Body Type diet, where you figure out what kind of body you have and follow a diet specific to your type.

Basically, scientists designed specific diets tailored to genetic types, and compared people eating this "nutrigenomics" diet with those eating a regular calorie-reduced diet. The nutrigenomics followers lost more weight.

"Early findings show nutrigenomics could make weight loss more efficient"

http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2014/0...ore-efficient/

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) has been the watchword on diet and health boards for years. Some lose weight on low-fat, or Ornish-style diets. Others find low-carb works better for them.

Now we have some scientific evidence that YMMV isn't just politeness.

What do you think?
  • We've all seen those people who just seem to never gain weight or who lose weight so much easier than other people. Maybe they just happen to be eating those foods that fall into their genetic type? For me, I know that I've lost weight more quickly if I take all processed foods and added sugars out of my plan. But, man is that tough to maintain for long! I think we're just beginning to tap into a real the science behind nutrition and our bodies. But, for me personally...what does this mean? I'm not one to really want to think about this stuff much. It starts to consume my life. I'm look for the simple routine.
  • Quote: That's great but at the moment its not affordable. You have to have genetic testing done before anyone can work out a diet for you.

Secondly all the diets were calorie reduced only the control group was not tailored to the genetics. It was ordinary calorie reduced. Menaing the food was different. The Blog article is a bit limited. Though thanks for sharing. The calorie reduction for both types was 600 calories.

Yes, I found that very interesting. All the diets were calorie-reduced by 600 calories, and they all lost weight. But the people following nutrigenomic diets lost a lot more weight.

This isn't testing whether low-carb or low-fat or low-calorie works better. I think they were assuming that low-calorie would work in general, and were trying to determine whether the nutrigenomic diets, low-calorie would work better than just plain low-calorie. They kinda stacked the deck toward weight loss, since all of the diets were reduced calorie. However, I think that focuses the difference between the nutrigenomic diets and the regular diet even more.

Plus, I'd never heard the term "nutrigenomic" before, and I think it's cool. *grin* I love words.