Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Improved diet, sudden weight gain. Advice?

I'm so frustrated! I recently evaluated my nutrition and discovered that it's been pretty lousy, which was probably part of the reason for my sloooow weight loss. I tweaked it and am now eating healthier than I ever have, and I've gone UP 1 1/2 pounds in a week!

This is basically what I eat every day:

BREAKFAST
5 oz greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon honey

LUNCH
2 eggs
2 pcs lite toast
2 slices Trader Joes Turkey Bacon
Slice of cheese

SNACK
1 oz almonds
1 tablespoon chocolate chips

SUPPER
1/2 oz almonds
1/2 tablespoon chocolate chips
FRUIT/VEGGIE SMOOTHIE: 2.5 oz spinach, 1 1/2 c. 1% milk, 1/2 cup pineapple, 3/4 cup strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen fruit mix (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)

I introduced this fruit/veggie smoothie a week ago, and have felt so good since starting it - more energy, better sleep...and weight gain. But why? I am getting the SAME amount of calories as before, and theoretically eating 3 cups of veggies and 2 1/2 cups of fruit is what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing every day.

My calories are around 1425. I currently weigh 201.4. I get tons of exercise and drink a lot of water. My nutrition is right where it should be. I don't want to decrease my calories again...I'm already on the low end of where I should be. I don't want to stop the healthy smoothie and go back to my 'old' supper of a sandwich or pasta (never fruits/veggies).

I guess I would just like some advice on why this might be happening or what I might be doing wrong. Thanks!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

My 2 cents: If all that fruit is a new thing, (and your diet is the only thing that has changed) you may be overloading on the sugar. Personally, I can eat a lot more calories of lower carb (and by that I mean less refined carb and sugar of any kind) and not gain weight than I can by eating higher carb, even if those carbs are all from fruit and veggies.
Pineapple and bananas are particularly high in sugar. Of the fruits you mentioned, blackberries are the lowest. Try ditching the sweeter fruits and sticking with the berries, and to keep the calories the same, maybe add some full fat milk, or throw in some chia seeds - they pulverize in the blender, act as a thickener and have lots of fiber.
I'm not anti banana. I'm just learning that in my particular case, my body doesn't seem to metabolize sugar properly. Maybe you are the same type.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Possible TMI question, but how have your bowel movements been since adding all the fruits and veggies? Adding a lot at once could easily cause constipation or gas, which would cause weight gain. But your body will eventually get used to it, from what I understand.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #4  

I will say that I have definitely felt more bloated since starting with the smoothies...but I don't know how I can be retaining water if I drink at least 60 oz of water a day, plus the 40 oz smoothie.

My carbs are around 170 g. per day...which is on the high end of what I had before. I worried about the sugar in the fruit, though. Before this, I had an apple a day, so fruit isn't totally new to me, but this is the most fruit/veggies I've EVER consumed on a regular basis.

Speaking of 'regular', everything is 'regular' in the BM department, too!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #5  
172pds now

S/C/G: 170 PDS. 180/170/130

Height: 5 foot and 3 inches

Take Metamucil each night and you will lose weight---it comes in a orange container
sasyblond401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 294.4/204.4/170

My first big weight loss was from 264-171...I hit a small plateau around the onederland mark too...I switched all my carbs (fruit, yogurt, shakes, etc) to my first part of the day (before noon)....that way it gave me the rest of the day to burn them off. I ate my protein and veggies for dinner. It seemed to really help.
lookin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #7  

I might try that...right now I have the smoothie for supper!