3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My Weight Loss Journey with Optifast - 100+ lb goal. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/294496-my-weight-loss-journey-optifast-100-lb-goal.html)

LGW 04-08-2015 09:29 PM

Great job!!! I start tomorrow!!

Jen8 04-10-2015 12:15 AM

I've been on Optifast strictly (0ne poor start) for about three weeks and lost 7 lb so pretty happy.
Good luck LGW.

nibog 08-26-2015 10:40 AM

Just wanted to post an update - I am now 28 weeks pregnant. It has been FLYING by!!! I can't believe she'll be here in 12 weeks!

Been trying not to gain too much but that is easier said than done...I have gained 33# - I am not thrilled but my dr's aren't having any problems with it because I am measuring great and all my bloodworks are perfect.

Had my glucose test a few days ago to do the routine check for Gestational Diabetes in the third trimester...I passed! Thank goodness because that drink was awful - like drinking a glass of melted orange freezepops (wayyyy too sweet!)

bnr86 10-01-2015 03:42 AM

Hi! I read your entire thread about your incredible weight loss and I wanted to reach out to say how amazing and encouraging it is to see someone come that far. It gives me hope for me! I did optifast 9 years ago in college and lost about 60 pounds, but unfortunately i have since gained it all back and then some. Last time I started at just over 200lbs, and this time I started at 237lbs. I'm 5'2".

I just started up again last week and am already discouraged. I have my first official weigh in on Friday (two days from now), but I've been weighing myself on my home scale in the interim and noticed that while I lost a few pounds (about 4) the first few days, the past 2 days I've gained 2 back. I have followed the plan completely (full fast, 3 shakes, 2 soups a day), and have not cheated once. Last time when I was on Optifast I lost 12 pounds my first week, then of course it tapered off as usual. But I'm just discouraged that this time it's looking like I'm only going to lose about 2 my first week in -- and if I only lose 2 the first week, what will happen in a few weeks when it tapers off even more?

Just wondering if you have any advice or anything... it's just so frustrating.

And a huge congratulations on your new addition! Not sure if you've given birth yet, but I'm so happy for you.

synger 10-01-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnr86 (Post 5206127)
I just started up again last week and am already discouraged. I have my first official weigh in on Friday (two days from now), but I've been weighing myself on my home scale in the interim and noticed that while I lost a few pounds (about 4) the first few days, the past 2 days I've gained 2 back. I have followed the plan completely (full fast, 3 shakes, 2 soups a day), and have not cheated once. Last time when I was on Optifast I lost 12 pounds my first week, then of course it tapered off as usual. But I'm just discouraged that this time it's looking like I'm only going to lose about 2 my first week in -- and if I only lose 2 the first week, what will happen in a few weeks when it tapers off even more?

Just wondering if you have any advice or anything... it's just so frustrating.

And a huge congratulations on your new addition! Not sure if you've given birth yet, but I'm so happy for you.

PLEASE don't be discouraged! Every pound lost is a victory. The speed of the loss is not the point. Even if you "only" lost one pound a week, by this time next year you'd be more than 50 pounds lighter!! Instead of comparing this plan's weight loss with the loss you had on a previous plan, compare it how much you WOULDN't be losing (or would be gaining!) if you weren't following any plan at all.

Also, please keep in mind that with hormones, exercise, and water, your scale weight can fluctuate up to five pounds a day... without even touching what your actual fat-weight is. So if you are weighing daily, and you see a two-pound increase, it could easily be that you've lost one pound of fat but gained a temporary three-pound water weight.

Work your plan, and your plan will work. The scale is not the goal... the goal is sticking to your plan faithfully. The scale is just a measurement of how well the plan is doing. You may want to consider weighing weekly instead of daily. Or even monthly.

bnr86 10-02-2015 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synger (Post 5206198)
PLEASE don't be discouraged! Every pound lost is a victory. The speed of the loss is not the point. Even if you "only" lost one pound a week, by this time next year you'd be more than 50 pounds lighter!! Instead of comparing this plan's weight loss with the loss you had on a previous plan, compare it how much you WOULDN't be losing (or would be gaining!) if you weren't following any plan at all.

Also, please keep in mind that with hormones, exercise, and water, your scale weight can fluctuate up to five pounds a day... without even touching what your actual fat-weight is. So if you are weighing daily, and you see a two-pound increase, it could easily be that you've lost one pound of fat but gained a temporary three-pound water weight.

Work your plan, and your plan will work. The scale is not the goal... the goal is sticking to your plan faithfully. The scale is just a measurement of how well the plan is doing. You may want to consider weighing weekly instead of daily. Or even monthly.

You are so right and I'm saving this for when I feel discouraged because I know it's the truth and you're right about all of it.

I see you have PCOS -- I have PCOS too. Are you currently doing Optifast?

synger 10-02-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnr86 (Post 5206407)
You are so right and I'm saving this for when I feel discouraged because I know it's the truth and you're right about all of it.

I see you have PCOS -- I have PCOS too. Are you currently doing Optifast?

No, I am not doing Optifast, but I posted because you sounded so depressed by the slowness of your loss.

I'm doing a lower-calorie, lower-carb plan that works for me to keep my blood sugar low and to lose weight, too. I've found over the years that shake-programs and very-low-calorie programs don't work well for me; I prefer the flexibility of my own food, and I need a certain number of calories or else I end up binging my way back up the scale when I'm freed from the calorie restriction of very-low-calorie.

I've been insulin resistant most of my life, and was diagnosed with PCOS in my late 20s when we were trying to get pregnant and wondering why we couldn't "catch." I was finally able to conceive when I was in my late 30s, and she's our miracle child.

So there is definitely hope. Please don't give up.