Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #331  

Height: 5'5"

222.4. Getting there, and this thread has suddenly become active! Yay!

Jessica - Good to see you over here, for a little while at least. =)

Welcome, Melissa. And it's good to see you so relaxed over a little scale bump. The scale does weird things sometimes, but as I've heard said on this board, if you follow a good plan, you can trust that your body is not violating the laws of thermodynamics, and that the weight will come off eventually. I know I recently had a stall (including a bump) that came off in a 5.8 pound whoosh over two days. A surprisingly big whoosh for me, but one that I was excited about nonetheless.

Jenjeangel027 - Great to see you here. =)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #332  
Melissa

S/C/G: 250/229/175

Height: 5'6

*grumble*

Looks like that 232 is here to stay. Well, temporarily at least. How I could have a gain is BEYOND me, since I'm doing a 1200 calorie a day diet. Before anyone says something about the calories, I am a WLS patient. I had the lap band placed back in 2010, but I never actually used the tool. I lost about 60 pounds, but because I didn't actually change my eating habits or lifestyle, I ended up gaining it all back. It was so bad that I actually had to have my band completely unfilled because I was vomiting up everything I ate (which I wasn't chewing well enough, I was eating much too fast, and I was drinking with meals-- all WLS no-nos). So,, I recently did a liquid diet and kind of rebooted my band, if you will. And this time, I am gonna do this RIGHT. I'm being mega-careful because I want to lose all of this weight.

So, other than that... Any ideas as to why I'm a little stalled out? I PROMISE I'm not cheating! And I'm eating somewhere between 1000-1200 calories a day (Tracking with MyFitnessPal).
BamaGalRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #333  

Hey BamaGal! Good to see you here.

Just a heads-up. We do have weight loss surgery thread, and the women there have great answers for WLS-specific questions, so you might try to post your question there as well.

However, if you could give us a little more information, we might be helpful as well. How long have you had this stall? I know that recently, my weight stalled and bounced back up, and I weighed exactly the same 8 days after my stall started. But the next day, I got a 3.8-pound whoosh. Weight has so many variables (water, mass of solid food that has not been expelled, etc.) that you may be making progress even though the scale does not reflect it. As has been said so many times on these boards, sometimes you just have to stick to plan and trust that you are not an exception to the laws of thermodynamics.

Good luck getting rid of that number. My number was 228.8.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 276/220.6/160

Great job everyone....I am taking a scale break for a few days. I was my cheat meal last night I decided on pizza....(bad choice) LOL so instead of getting discouraged I am refraining and keep on keeping with my low carb day
jenjenangel027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #335  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Thanks, Jen. I appreciate that. If tomorrow wasn't a weigh-in day, I might consider taking a scale break myself.

Laurie's right, sometimes we hit stalls and as depressing as it can be, we just have to suck it up and ride them out. I'm thinking that I might just be getting to one of those points. Between the scale weighing inconsistently - every time I step on it, it gives me a different number - and all the miles I did yesterday, the scale decided to bump up on me. I saw as high as 223.6 and as low as 221.4. But mostly it was 223.2. Sigh.

I know the next twenty pounds are bound to be the hardest for me. I was looking over the data from the last time I lost weight and it was right around 220 that I stalled out and fell off the wagon. On the bright side, I don't feel like giving up yet and I know that I've still lost inches this week, so failure, I'd like to think, isn't an option.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #336  
Melissa

Thanks Laurie. I have a hard time knowing WHERE I fit. My WLS was over 4 years ago and up until a couple of weeks ago I would have sworn it was a bust. Now... My band is completely unfilled, so theoretically, there's no restriction, but I really think I can feel some. So, I'm working on losing weight with a band placed (WLS) but with no saline in it (not WLS)... So... LOL where do I fit?!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #337  

You definitely fit here! But you also fit there as well. Wherever you can get support and knowledge is where you belong. =)

Hopefully, you'll get some love from your scale soon. If not, you can count on us to give you some love and support until the scale finally cooperates again.

And if you do run into a sustained stagnation, it may be time to reevaluate your plan. But if you are confident in your plan, it's probably just something you have to ride out.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #338  
Melissa

This is probably the first time in... Well, heck... Forever that I'm trying to lose weight. I mean, I've never been super thrilled to be fat, but whatever. It was me. And I was too lazy to really do much so I guess I was OK with it. LOL Acceptance through laziness. How's that for a new one?

My goal right now is to let my band being in there do what it can for me. I'm happy with a cup to a cup and half of food. So, I'm being careful to savor my food, chew well, eat slowly, and not drink with meals. For now, it's working.

That means I'm eating between 1000-1100 cal/day. I'm 5'6, trying to get back into exercising, but I have a LOT of joint pain, and weigh 232. Drinking plenty of water and taking ibuprofen twice a day to help with the joint pain. I do own an elliptical and it (when I use it) provides me with a relatively painless workout. I don't like plain water (yeah weird, I know) but I drink Crystal Light like it's going out of style...

What tips do y'all have for me?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #339  

With those numbers, you should be losing weight even with no exercise. My advice is simply to chill, if you are confident in your calorie count. =) Sounds like you just have to wait out the stall and, as they say, trust that you are not an exception to the laws of thermodynamics.

I sometimes will avoid the scale if I am feeling frustrated by it. If it's been several days and you are not seeing movement, maybe step away from it for a week.

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything right physically. Just gotta conquer the mental fatigue that comes with weight loss, and steel yourself for the inevitable, "This isn't working, so I'm quitting" garbage that our minds sometimes tell us during a stall.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #340  
Jessica, Becoming Me

I'd strongly suggest starting to take measurements if you haven't already. I've found it more important that the inches come of for me this time than the pounds themselves. For example, I'm about 16 lbs heavier than my lightest adult weight but, recently, I had a major breakthrough. My waist is down to 39 inches which is an inch smaller than when I was 21 and 205 lbs back in 2007. I about cried in sheer joy.

This week the scale has been a little obnoxious so this morning, I taped and the 2.5 inches that have come off since last week reminded me that in spite of the scale, I am still making progress.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #341  
Melissa

Good idea, GarentRising. I get a bad attitude FAST when things aren't going my way and I'm trying SO DANG HARD to be mindful of my eating! I wonder where that measuring tape is... LOL
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #342  
Jessica, Becoming Me

I have a hard time justifying spending money, but that $1 or so that I spent on my tape measure was one of the best investments I've made recently. That, my swimsuits, and my running shoes. Lol. It's awesome to see that I've lost 17.5 inches since I started tracking on the 27th of June.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #343  

S/C/G: 276/220.6/160

I'd also suggest changing something up exercise routine or eat 1500-1800 calories for a couple days. Our bodies are smart they get used to restrictions and need a jump for plateaus!!!!

I finished first day of c25k almost died the last round lol
jenjenangel027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #344  

222.4. Same as yesterday. I shouldn't be disappointed, and I'm not that disappointed, but I do want to see the 2-teens badly.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 08-05-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #345  
Jessica, Becoming Me

My first step on the scale today was 201.0 lbs. Yeah, like that's valid. I think the scale lost its mind. My actual weight came in at 222.0 lbs. Up from the last two days and the first week with less than a 2.0 lb loss. Mildly sad about this.