Help!!! Should I change my weight loss goal?

• Well, I just had a slap in the face.

Currently, my weight lose goal is to get to 135lbs with a 22% body fat.

I been the math based on my last body fat% which was 42.5 and 243 lbs (I last measured bring then and that was my weight. Gives me a lean body mass of approx 140 lbs.

Now I don't want to lose any more muscle, I like my strength and would like to ha e more upper body strength. With that being said, to meet my goals I'd have to lose 35 lbs of muscle. ...isn't that a bad thing?

Now if I didn't lose any muscle my weight would have to be 180 (and who said we wouldn't use algebra after high school).

So what you guys think? I don't want to set my goal too high, but I also don't want to work towards something that is unattainable either. Your thoughts, please.
  • I think you don't need to be thinking about your final goal in numerical terms right now.

Whether you stop at 180 or 170 or 135 isn't really going to change what you do today.

Instead of thinking in numbers, think in actions. If you want to maintain your muscle mass, work on strength training (lift heavy!) and eating enough protein.

The fact is you will lose some muscle mass as you become a smaller person - it just doesn't take as much muscle to haul around a 160-pound person as a 250-pound person. But tailoring your exercise will help preserve as much of it as possible.

When you get closer to your healthy weight, you can start to evaluate your body composition and see if you want to make changes to your target weights, body fat percentages, and whatnot. But you don't need to decide today whether your goal weigh is 130 or 150 or 180.
  • I've thought about changing my goal weight (I lowered it to 140 a couple of months ago from 150) I don't really want to focus on that but on the goal of another 10%. So right now my goal weight is 180.
  • I agree with carter!

But if you want to put a number on it, we can compromise at 155?
  • I guess I'm over analyzing this too much. It's just that I've always had 135 in my head. I think I will readjust for 155 as goal and then see how my measurements are going . My main goal is mot a number on a scale but my body fat percentage. But there are no tickers or goals in apps that allow you to use body fat. I guess I'll just have to suck it up . Thank you all for your input.