Old and busted: the 190s. New hotness: Getting out of the 190s.

You're on Page 20 of 34
Go to
  • This thread is quiet this week. I'm almost down to my pre-holiday weight, and should be below it after my second fast tomorrow, so woo!

I tried on a dress last night for a wedding I'm going to in a couple weeks. I've been really excited for it, because I have an awesome (awful) "before" photo from about two years ago. I took a temporary before/after picture and HOLY COW! Man, I can really, really see the difference and it boosted my self-esteem. I'm going to get a better "after" picture at the actual wedding and can't wait to post it on this forum as my mini-goal.

How is everyone else's week going?
  • Yay mini goals! That might be the best form of motivation, hard proof that your work is paying off. Congrats

This week has been slow going. I'm finding it so hard to want to work out. And I know that whenever I work out is when I lose the big weight. I don't really want to beat myself up about, because that is a sure-fire way to make myself lose all motivation completely, but I do want to get back in gear and feel good again rather than feeling sluggish and lethargic. The good news is I weighed in this morning at 191.4 which means I'm almost back down to the last low weigh in (191.0).
  • noname - I *love* seeing progress pics like that! Whenever I feel discouraged because my loss is so slow, I look at old pictures. I took in-underwear pics of myself at 265 and again at 215 (50 pounds down). Now I'm almost 20 pounds below that, and the pictures really help me appreciate how far I've come! Can't wait to see your pics!

xriotgirl - I hear ya about being sluggish. It's been so hot and humid here that even WITH working out every day and drinking a ton of water, I've retained water like crazy and felt totally sluggish! I hope you feel better today!

Today was my official weigh-in. 197, down a pound in 2 weeks. Kind of a disappointment, but at least the scale is moving down, and I know that some of that is water retention. Hoping for a better # next week! 5.6 pounds off so far this month and that I will take!
  • xRiotGirl I feel you about getting the motivation to work out! I really did not want to be at the gym last night, not sure how I even made it there to begin with. Hopefully knowing that it will help push your weight loss into the 180s will get you back into a routine. You'll be out of here in a flash

Frances123 I usually just get annoyed with progress pics because I don't see much of a difference, so it was really nice to see it for once. I hope the water retention evens out soon. Half pound in a week is still really great and in the right direction!

I'm back down to 198.2 today. Fasting today, so for tomorrow's weigh-in I should be down for the week, but I was hoping to see a little bit of a loss before then. It also seems like every day lately I'm wearing a piece of clothing I haven't worn in years. I did laundry last night, and had to check all the tags to see what could go in the dryer because I couldn't remember. It's like going shopping without spending a dime.
  • I'm up to 197 from 194 and I'm trying not to be too upset about it, but I'm getting really tired of losing the same few pounds over and over. I guess I need to get so tired of it that I do something about it! Right?
  • Wannabehealthy, I'm so sorry! I hate that feeling. When that happens to me, I have to change something to make the weight loss start again. Switch up my workouts or switch up my meals. I hope you find something that works!

Noname - it's so funny - I was just thinking that. I never threw any of my too-small clothes away and have been hitting the thrift stores since jr high, so would always pick up a good find, even if it was a too-small size. Consequently, I have a whole wardrobe in every size from 10 - 28! I was just able to crack open my size 12 box and absolutely love 'shopping' in it! I've re-donated all of my too-big clothes (ahem - even if some of them still fit, because I never want to see another size 16 as long as I live!) and it feels good to streamline things, too. Hooray for NSVs!
  • Wannabehealthy That has got to be frustrating. Time to change it up?? We are all three within a pound of each other - let's get out of here together and stay out!

Frances123 You must be taller or more muscly than me! I'm still in 16s. That's so awesome you have so many clothes to choose from! Sadly, I only have a few pieces that are still too small (just a few shirts) and then it's back to paying for clothes again. *grumble* I think I'm going to make a big drop-off at Goodwill this weekend and maybe pick up some wishful-thinking size 14s I am, however, keeping the largest size pants I ever bought for vanity's sake - size 20s last summer. Can't wait to do a before/after with those haha
  • noname - I'm 5'7", but I've also been a gym rat for a decade, even at 250+ pounds. I really stepped it up the past two years and I suspect I may be pretty muscular under my flab! Anyway, I've always been able to fit into smaller sizes because of the working out. It's part of my motivation for going!
  • What's your gym routine like?

I've only been going to the gym regularly for a year and a half, but have always been relatively active as I love hiking and being outdoors. I always thought I was sooo fit (comparing myself to my mom for example who gets winded just walking) until I started hiking hardcore with my boyfriend and felt like dying. It's amazing how much I've improved since I started working out more regularly, but I have a long way to go!

But yes I imagine two inches plus extra muscle explains how you are in 12s
  • Mondays: 1 hour kettlebell/cardio intervals
    Tuesdays: 1 hour TRX
    Wednesdays: 1 hour cardio intervals, 1 hour yoga
    Thursdays: 1 hour tabata intervals
    Fridays: 1 hour spin, 1 hour yoga

I *love* the gym and have always gotten a lot of pleasure out of going. When I was 250+ pounds, I'd still go, but I couldn't do yoga or tabata. I'd just heavily modify all the other classes. As I lose weight, I really want to challenge myself more, like taking some sort of martial arts class! That's a little goal-weight treat for myself.
  • Thanks to these child-bearing hips of mine, I've dropped a few sizes in my shirts and yet barely dropped one size in pants. So, dresses are REALLY fun to try and fit into! haha This is the bittersweet part of losing weight - being SUPER excited for losing clothing sizes, but then having to re-adjust all over again to what does and does not fit. Aye!

I woke up this morning to my recent low of 191.0, so fingers crossed that tomorrow I beat that, even if by a teeny bit.
  • Frances123, wow, that's awesome! Martial arts would be a lot of fun. I do strength two days a week and some form of cardio anywhere from 3-5 days a week for about a half hour (or more if I'm doing something like hiking or biking). I'm going to try upping the strength. I just started a few weeks ago, but I'd like to make more time for it. Oh time...why is there never enough?

xRiotGirl - I'm sure you're rocking those dresses too yay for being back to your low! My hips never seem to get any smaller either, but I think my chest is keeping me from going down in shirt sizes too much!

My weigh-in today was 196.4 Very happy. Second week in a row that I've lost over a pound, unusual for me. Seems my changes are working. Wow, less than 20 pounds to reach my goal for the year. It was a rather forgiving goal to begin with, but it never felt tangible, until now.
  • noname - I thought I was strong, but that TRX just about killed me! Hopefully I get better over time! Congrats for the good number! What's your ultimate goal weight? I'm shooting for 165, which is 10 pounds lighter than I've ever been as an adult! It *never* felt possible before but hopefully as I drop down into the 170s - eventually - I can get there!

xriotgirl, that's a FANTASTIC NUMBER!!! You're almost OUTTA HERE!
  • This morning I'm back down to 194. I think there is a force field on my scale that won't let it go lower than that! LOL

NoName and XRiotGirl, I am 5'4", so we area all about the same height and weight. I carry my weight in the worst place, my upper body. I am build like a candy apple on a stick! LOL

XRiotGirl, my SIL and I were always the same weight, but she carried her weight in the hips, butt and thighs and was very small on top. She could wear a size 8 dress when I was wearing a 14. She always bought A-line dresses so they flared out over her bottom. I had to buy a bigger size to accomodate my upper body, and it wasn't my boobs, it was bigger shoulders and now it's a big belly! LOL Even when I was thinner, I always had to buy separates because I was a large top and a medium bottom and it always costs more to buy clothes that way.
  • Frances, you will get stronger for sure! For now my ultimate goal weight is 150 (based on bmi just to give me some guideline). I dont think I have ever been under 180 as an adult, so once I get under that it will all be new to me. I didn't really pay attention to the scale in high school or even college. I know how you feel about never thinking it was possible!

Wannabehealthy, you just gotta break through the forcefield! A couple extra workouts or super healthy eating days? You'll get there! I just noticed the quote in your signature. Love it!

The fish and chips I had for dinner last night were so good, along with the beer, but man am I glad we are going on a long bike ride today!