3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Regainers regaining control, and relosing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/291944-regainers-regaining-control-relosing.html)

carter 01-22-2014 08:14 AM

Regainers regaining control, and relosing

Hello folks. There used to be a thread on this theme, but when I searched I found it hadn't been active in a few weeks so I took the liberty of starting a fresh one.

I have been struggling against a regain for the past year, really. My main problem has been binging, although I sometimes slip in overall discipline even when I'm not binging. Anyway I have been solidly on plan for about 12 days now and I'm ready to stand up and be accountable here.

(As it happens my girlfriend broke up with me about 12 days ago. :( As sad as I am about this, I think focusing on my plan has been an unconscious self-preservation tactic, one of several ways my brain has been trying to keep itself engaged with thoughts about things other than her. There's an element of will, too - I don't want to let a breakup be an excuse for binging.)

Enough TMI about me. As before, I'm keeping my original stats to the left, and I'll track the current progress in the signature. I know you other regainers are still out there. Let's help each other. We've all done it before, so we know what it takes. Let's buckle down and do it again.

Kat117 01-22-2014 11:40 AM

Hi there Carter,

Sorry to hear about your breakup. Never easy to go through. I am sure you are strong and will pull through.

Thanks for starting this thread again. I too started regaining and deal with binge behavior. I got down to 164 (from 300) and then popped back up to 198 in a matter of 2 months.

I am here to support you in all ways! Let's get shaking...and not our bellies this time!

All my best,
Kate
---------------
CW - 188.6
Atkins Program - Former Ideal Protein

Slashnl 01-22-2014 12:34 PM

I'd like to jump in here, too. I've been doing well the last 2 weeks, but I want to keep it up and not be stupid and regain again. 2013 was a tough year and I just let apathy and frustration creep in. Well, that didn't help and found myself struggling to do normal activity.

Feeling so much better about what I'm eating, I'm keeping track again. And, going back to the gym has been tough, but invigorating.

Let's do this!!

Lyn2007 01-22-2014 03:24 PM

I am working on relosing again, too. I haven't changed my ticker yet.

Bluehoodie2012 01-23-2014 08:23 AM

I'm a regainer too...has taken me too long to get refocused this time. I got down to 199 before my son was born in 2012. Yep been off plan now for about 3 years. :( but I'm ready. I have to so this...I need to start really understanding my issues with food too.

VikingBride2Be 01-23-2014 11:08 AM

I'll jump in here too. I was on here two years ago, went from 250 to 170. Kept it off for a year, and met my now fiance. He ate like a lumberjack (6'5" and 240 lbs) and I was unhappy at my job. The combination led to me putting it all back on and then some. So I'm back, and recommitted to look fierce and fabulous on my wedding day. :)

Slashnl 01-23-2014 12:39 PM

Glad to see so many recommitting. We all share such common stories. Did well before, but then somehow lost track and now have to start again.

SugarRomeoTango4852 01-23-2014 12:49 PM

*whistle* This threat was made for me. I lost 80 lbs in 2012 and maintained for MOST of 2013. However, I have recently put 40 lbs back on which does not make me happy. It actually really upset me but I can't seem to re find my balance so I figured - why not go back to 3FC for the support I clearly need!

carter 01-24-2014 10:45 AM

Hello everyone. Glad to see folks ready to own up to the regains and get back to it.

Are you planning to take the same approach that you used to lose the weight the first time? Or, thinking of trying something different?

For me, I know what works: calorie counting, commitment, making the best choice I can make each time I am faced with a choice, saying "not today," keeping in mind that not every eating opportunity needs to be taken advantage of to its fullest.

Good luck and good strength.

allisonm 01-24-2014 10:53 AM

I lost over 100 pounds in my early twenties. I was actually a member here under another name but I wanted to treat this as a whole new venture so I didn't want to attach any old baggage (or screennames haha.) Shortly into maintaining, I had a vicious breakup and then I had a back injury requiring spinal surgery and months in a wheelchair. That was followed by a post surgical infection in my spine, a blood clot from the portable iv line, treatment with blood thinners which I was resistant to, resulting in months of twice a week visits to the hospital and to top it off... shingles. Then I got married and had a baby. Still, through all that, I count it a victory that I didn't gain ALL the weight back. I gained back 87 lbs of it though. My baby is now almost a year and a half old. My back really hurts but especially now that he's getting bigger. I want to be able to move better and ache less and keep up with my little boy. I also want to have another baby and I think my pregnancy might be easier at a lower weight. Anyway, I'm here.... again. Hi guys!

VikingBride2Be 01-24-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 4927252)
Are you planning to take the same approach that you used to lose the weight the first time? Or, thinking of trying something different?

For me, I did hardcore diet and exercise the first time mostly because I was in a new city and didn't have a social life that kept me from committing all my time outside of work to losing weight.

Now I have lots of friends, and pre-wedding parties which made it difficult to give that level of commitment, see the results I wanted, and maintain those relationships. I tried it for a month, and didn't lose an ounce.

I signed up for Weight Watchers this time around. I'm only a couple days in, but I went out to a bar for trivia last night and had no beer -- just water with lemon, and a single buffalo wing which kept me satisfied and on plan.

Slashnl 01-24-2014 12:03 PM

Welcome everyone! Good to see the recommitment! I am going back to what worked before, too. 3 days of spinning, 2 days of body pump per week, plus something lighter (walking, hiking, etc) over the weekend. Counting calories. And posting here!

I guess I'm using something new that seems to be a great tool. I'm on MyFitnessPal, and it has an app for my phone. It seems like I am doing better with keeping accountable with that.

toastedsmoke 01-26-2014 07:45 AM

Hey everyone. So I was active in the previous regainers thread that's kind of lapsed so I think it's a great idea to have a new one. I started my journey in 2009, and got to goal in 2012, maintained that for a year and then took up baking as a hobby (blame Great British Bake Off) which led to a 20-30 lb regain in the space of 4 months which I've been trying to lose since October last year. Sigh.

Plan wise, I'm finding it quite difficult to be as disciplined as I was the first time around. I still weigh and measure and count everything that goes into my mouth, but then I did that when I was eating a whole cake in 2 days as well. I think I've gotten used to not eating at a deficit so now it's pretty hard to cut back. Also, I now have a different work schedule than I did before which means I can't always work out after work. Plus, to be honest, I'm just a lot lazier in many ways.

Towards the end of last year, I had success with the 5:2 plan, so I may go back to doing that along with good old calorie counting. I also want to cut down on my intake of sweets because I think that makes it super hard to stay on track. Exercise-wise, I want to go back to running 3 times a week (my runs have petered out to like 1-2 times a month which is bad!) and I'm going to start Turbo Fire tomorrow. Hopefully, this is our time to get back on track!

carter 01-27-2014 08:29 AM

Good to see you, ToastedSmoke (and others of course). I was just noticing how similar our stats are - start weight, lowest low, and current weight. Funny! (You are two inches taller than I am though.)

Anyway I had an off few days, eatingwise - I went on a several-day trip for my company's annual meeting and was fairly careful but overate here and there. And I got my period yesterday. As a result I haven't weighed myself this morning. I'm trying to move away from daily weighing anyhow, just to try something different. So maybe I will weigh in a few days when I feel the bloat is down a bit.

I'm just glad I haven't let this unwanted and unexpected breakup to be a trigger to binge. It would be delightfully numbing to lose myself in a pound or two of candy. I'm not going to do it.

goal4agirl 01-27-2014 10:54 AM

I'm back again...

Thank you
Thank you for starting this thread up again. I also have regained weight back. I am joining a local gym this morning. I'm so out of shape I'll probably only be able to use the treadmill these first day's. That's ok though I just need to get up and move. Then I'm going to go to the store and load up on all my former favorites... honey crisp apples, clementines, salad mix, red seedless grapes, green beans, carrots, bell pepper, talipa, and chicken.
I just can't wake up another day and drag this tired, heavy, weary body out of bed and feel like I failed. So I begin again. ;)

Slashnl 01-27-2014 11:56 AM

Lost 1.4 pounds last week. That's good. I'd love to see a bigger loss, but I'll be happy with it just going down. I think that last week was good, and I'm hoping to keep it going this week.

Goal4aGirl: That's what I did when I got back to the gym. I claimed victory for just walking in the door. And, for about a week, I just walked on the treadmill or rode a bike. I just wanted to get there. THEN, I got back to Spin and body pump classes. Good for you!!!

Hope everyone else has a good week!

allisonm 01-27-2014 12:38 PM

I am using myfitnesspal and bodymedia fit to help with calorie counting. I can't tell you how helpful the bodymedia is and I wish I had it the first time in 2007.

goal4agirl 01-27-2014 06:53 PM

Thank you! :D

Kat117 01-27-2014 07:02 PM

I used to do Ideal Protein, but have moved over to the Atkins diet due to cost.

I find that just the addition of a second solid meal a day, 1-4 ounces of cheese bacon if I want it and some olive oil has expanded my diet by 100 fold and is easier to stick with.

One of these days I need to incorporate some exercise. I bought a whole bunch of yoga, pilates and stretching videos and watch them religiously, but haven't lost anything yet. Hmmm wonder if I am doing something wrong.

Avezy44 01-27-2014 07:28 PM

This is a great thread! Lost over 80 pounds a couple of years ago and then just gained it all and then some back. I never reached my goal before but I was about 30 pounds away. My goal this time is to get to my goal!!

So I am looking to lose about 170ish pounds total.

Hit my first 10 today!! :)

carter 01-28-2014 07:55 AM

Hello friends. :coffee:

Very frustrating time right now. Between my period, the few days of travel, and whatever else I've bounced back up above 180. Now, I have been a daily weigher for a long time and know I have huge fluid swings that can mask weeks and weeks of fat loss. I know, too, that my usual loss pattern even when I am fully on plan is to hold for about 3 weeks or so and then drop 3-4 pounds over about another week. So I know this doesn't number mean anything and doesn't, in some sense, count. But with the lingering hurt of this breakup it is a lot of effort to stick to my plan, get to the gym, do all the other things I have to do. It is a downer to have so much trouble making a dent in this regain that will stick.

Oh well. Nothing to do but keep at it.

Slashnl 01-28-2014 11:43 AM

Hang in there, Carter. Obviously, you already know that it probably isn't a good number and will go back down, but I totally understand the disappointment of seeing the higher number. Just keep plugging along!

guacamole 01-28-2014 02:38 PM

Hello, I am going to pop in to see if this thread is for me. I lost a good deal of weight in 2011-2012, but regained about 20 lbs in 2013. Most of that weight I regained at the end of the year after breaking my leg. I never made it to my goal and I haven't changed my ticker, which reflects the lowest weight I got down to.

I am slowly recovering mobility, but it is taking a lot longer than I'd hoped. I am feeling pretty rotten about myself these days, and can feel myself slipping back into my old reclusiveness that I had when I was at my higher weights. I don't like going out anymore, especially when it's a dressy occasion, and I don't like having a full body picture taken (or really any picture). It worries me that I am slipping into the same kind of anxiety and depression over my weight that I had before - because that just leads to more binges and emotional eating.

I really want to get back on track and have a few good days to spring forward from.

Frantastic 01-28-2014 06:39 PM

Count me in! I lost 50 lbs about 2 years ago and then went back to my old habits and over the 24 months, gained all 50 back. I atm going to stick with what worked with me the first time: Writing down all my food; weighing and measuring; no snacking; etc. and try to figure out what made me go back to my old ways and not do that again!

carter 01-29-2014 08:27 AM

Good morning, regainers/relosers. :coffee: How is it going today?

I have been sticking to plan, eating light and carefully, and most importantly not eating for recreation or for numbing the heartbreak (which is still very acute). It isn't always easy but by focusing on one choice at a time I can manage it.

When I remember that I managed this for three years while I was losing 120 pounds from 2009-2012, I think, I can do this again for today.

The challenge for me is, as always, patience. These last 25 pound were very slow in coming off the first time, and I have to be prepared for that to happen again - if not more so. I catch myself fantasizing about being back below 160 when it's time to buy an outfit for my brother's wedding - which is in April - and I have to remind myself that I just won't be there yet or likely anywhere near. I have to stay in for the long haul.

allisonm 01-29-2014 10:44 AM

Goodmorning Ladies! Be good to yourself today. I'm doing well and I hope ya'll are too.

LaurieDawn 01-29-2014 11:24 AM

I have had many periods where I have lost significant amounts of weight. I am struggling from a 20-some-pound game from my current attempt, which began in June 2012. This one hasn't been steady, but I am making progress.

I took on some contract work last week in addition to my regular job, so I ended up having a week where I slept roughly 2-3 hours per night before the final two nights, where I slept 1.5 hours the first night and about 40 minutes the next night. And I just went into "don't care" mode on the eating. And now I am having a hard time finding the desire to care again.

I made myself come back to 3FC today, and I found this thread! This delightful, delightful thread full of people who I have admired for some time.

Carter - I am so sorry about your break-up. You are one of my long-time heroes here, and I often think about your advice when I encounter unwanted food. The "I have had that before and I can have it again, so there's no need to have it right now unless I really want it" advice.

Toasted Smoke - Your persistence has always inspired me.

Slashnl - I feel like we have been in the trenches together time and time again. Yay, us, for continuing to fight.

So, here I am. Just needing to take a deep breath and get back into the habits I so recently abandoned. Gonna do a bit of running today. =)

Slashnl 01-29-2014 01:20 PM

Looks like lots of us are joining together to tackle this "regaining control". I'm feeling so good this week! I think I made it past the excruciating pain of getting back to working out. Not that it is easy now, don't get me wrong, but I also don't feel like I'm going to die every time I get on a spin bike or pick up a weight.

Guacamole: I'm glad you posted. I hope this is a helpful thread for you. It sounds like you've been through some tough times and maybe now you'll be able to bounce back. I'm pulling for you!

LaurieDawn: Yep, we've been here before. I totally understand the I don't care attitude that you can develop. I was there most of last year. (It didn't help....) I'm so glad you are here!

Carter: Patience is tough to come by with weight loss. It can only come off so fast and I just want to be back down to where I was able to fit in smaller sizes. I am so hoping for some good results by the time summer gets here and I have to get some new shorts. But, need to persevere.

VikingBride2Be 01-29-2014 02:47 PM

Also feeling good this week! We've gone out a lot with friends over the past week, mostly because it's been in the negatives even during the day (it's -4 outside right now, which is better than the -20 it was yesterday) and there isn't much else to do. But I've been on plan every day! It's been a week since I've had any liquid but water and I used to have a crazy addiction to Diet Coke. I'm not depriving myself. I'm re-learning what a healthy portion is.

Trying to keep my eye on the ball and not look at too many pictures on Facebook of what 100 lbs lighter used to look like. It didn't come on overnight (though some days it feels like it) and it won't come off overnight.

carter 01-30-2014 08:18 AM

Good morning folks. :coffee2:

Thank you for the kind words Laurie! It means a lot to me. I have posted a lot here over the years and I'm proud of what I've learned about weight loss but I often think my ideas might be unpalatable because they are to a certain extent grounded in discipline and being stern with oneself. ;-)

I am often told I should write a book but I fear the book will have to be called "All the things you don't want to hear about how to lose weight."

I am also sure that many of us who have been successful are told we should write a book. I don't think one can lose 100 pounds or more without figuring out a great deal about how to think about and strategize and form tactics for weight loss.

I'm rambling, cause I'm not awake. I overslept by an hour this morning and have to get to the gym. Have an awesome day everyone.

Slashnl 01-30-2014 12:35 PM

Hi everyone! We have the dreaded potluck in the office tomorrow. I'll have to try to be super disciplined! And then, I need to figure out something to bring. Way too much effort......

Went to the gym today for Body Pump. If I go tomorrow for spin (and I will go!), I'll have made it to the gym 5 days this week. That's my goal.

Have a great day everyone!

VikingBride2Be 01-30-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slashnl (Post 4932083)
Hi everyone! We have the dreaded potluck in the office tomorrow. I'll have to try to be super disciplined! And then, I need to figure out something to bring. Way too much effort......

I feel your pain! We're throwing a Super Bowl Party for friends on Sunday. I've been on plan with no cheating for 9 days -- not so much as a sip of beer or a Diet Coke, but I am kind of nervous about this. I love entertaining, so I'm doing a lot of cooking which will keep my hands busy from all the pre-prepared munchies.

But I'm focused. I have a plan to make sure I'm full before people start coming over and have budgeted to allow myself to indulge but not overindulge and still be on plan.

In other news, weighed in at 270.0 this morning (a great loss, but really body, you couldn't have figured out that another .1 pounds would have been awesome!) and I can smell the 260's over all the dips on Sunday. :carrot:

Kat117 01-30-2014 03:33 PM

I read this today and wanted to share it with all of you.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. - Thomas A. Edison

That is exactly what we are all doing, trying one more time. :)

carter 01-31-2014 07:52 AM

Good morning intrepid relosers. :coffee2:

Slashnl - Good luck and good strength at the potluck. I hope you bring something on plan that you want to eat! If it helps, think about your coworkers' grubby little kids "helping" them make whatever they brought that looks off-plan to you. ;-)

Viking - One thing that works for me at such parties is to delay starting in on the snacks until toward the end of the party. It is a lot less difficult for me to eat none of something than it is to get the taste in my mouth and then STOP. So I would go into a Super Bowl party with the plan in mind not to touch the snacks until the second half or even the last quarter. That way even if i have trouble stopping it will be almost time to pack up. Plus that way other people might mop up the really dangerous (triggering) stuff before I have a chance at it.

Kat: Thanks for that. It is all part of a process for me, learning what i have to stay vigilant about, which changes need constant attention even if i sustained them for 3 years while losing the weight the first time.

Slashnl 01-31-2014 02:48 PM

Hi everyone. In the midst of potluck. It isn't too bad. There is the bad stuff, but someone brought fruit, oranges and blueberries for the Broncos, and there are veggies. Good way to look at it, Carter. I'm sure there are lots of little finger prints on the food. Ick!

I went to Spin class this morning, so that helped with burning some calories, too.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

TooManyDimples 01-31-2014 11:54 PM

*Sigh* Me too. My highest weight ever was 275. In April of 2012 I was down to 182. Moved to Alaska, started working at a desk full time and gained most of it back over the last year and a half. Very depressing.

I'm moving back to Florida in a few months so no more long dark winters where I just want to eat comfort food and I can't find the energy or drive to exercise. Hoping to make it back down below 200 by the time I move and goal by the end of the year.

We've done it before, we can do it again. Hopefully this time we can figure out how to make it stick. =)

carter 02-01-2014 09:58 AM

Hello folks. :coffee:

I went out to dinner last night. Although I ate more calories than I would on a typical day, I was pleased with how I handled the dinner - I handled it the way I did when I was busy losing 120 pounds. I did not feel out of control - I knew it would be a high-calorie meal and I made choices carefully within that understanding.

I suppose it is good to feel in control of something.

Terra1984 02-01-2014 03:57 PM

Im starting over as well. When I joined this forum I was 294 and then I went to 300 and now Im at 297, I started to try to lose weight in Aug. of 2013 and I lost 5 pounds then I got off plan and quit working out until Jan. 16th of this year, I stopped watching what I ate and working out when Thanksgiving came around so thats how I went from 294 to 300 but Like I said on Jan. 16th of this year I recommitted to lose more weight then I did the first time around, I want to actually make it to goal this time around.

foreverfaye 02-01-2014 05:06 PM

Hey all,
I'm glad to find this thread. My story is not so different from yours. Good on you for taking these first steps. I've hit this point so many times before and I've become so hesitant to take the first step. I'm starting over because I've literally hit rock bottom. I don't know how to be enthusiastic about this process or even cautiously optimistic. So my goals are simple, just stay checked in for a week-mentally and on 3FC.

AwShucks 02-01-2014 09:20 PM

Hate to admit it, but I'm eligible for this club, too. I've lost and regained 50, 75, 90 and over 100 lbs in my lifetime. My latest weight loss effort (2 years this month) was supposed to be my LAST! But, I just can't stop regaining and losing 5-10 lbs over and over again. I remember how progress used to feel-- when the number went down and down, and clothes got smaller. Now, I'm stuck, or on the way back up. I know my history and just don't want to let it all slip away, and for once in my life, I'd love to reach goal.

When I finally snap out of things, weigh myself, and notice a gain, you would think I'd had a decadent week with cake, fried foods, sodas, etc... But, really, it's been as little as an artisan loaf of bread eaten over a week -- meals consisting mostly of carbs, but not that high in calories. I just have the wackiest metabolism. I must stay away from carbs -- or make sure I have protein at the same time. It just seems SO unfair!

Looks like there's lots of support here. I'll keep checking in.

PS Guacamole! So glad to see you here. I remember you and always loved reading your posts. I'm sorry you've had a rough time. Hang in there!