Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Way to go niki!!! Hope to see you soon in the next decade.

Pam I don't blame you for wanting to thin out why you can before moving. Less stress for moving day. I hope your back is better though.

I am down to 242.2 this morning. But the Christmas food gauntlet has been thrown down. lol here is hoping not too much damage is done.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #62  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Good day everyone

Mara, glad to see that your scales are showing you all of the hard work that you are doing. I made the mistake of using canned green beans along with fully cooked (but 500 mg sodium) steak strips along with some rice and today the scales are up. I don't usually buy canned vegetables but there was a "sale" on them ... I think I am really going to have to rethink sodium for the new year or I am going to be playing this two step "forever". I just don't remember sodium being such a "big deal" for me last year but this past fall it has been. What gives? It has gotten me just perplexed. Anyone have any suggestions or tips that they are using?

I really worked hard yesterday afternoon and by the time evening came I was more than ready to watch some Christmas programs on t.v. I actually even went to bed earlier too. I did have to take an extra dosage of NSAIDS for my back but I will admit seeing how much I had accomplished sort of made it worthwhile.

My eye caught a mini challenge that someone started in the 100 lbs. sub-forum so I joined it and added another ticker to my signature page. I did the numbers and I think it is a realistic goal that this woman proposes so I jumped on board. Losing "24-30 lbs by April 21st, which is Easter Monday." That is her wedding anniversary but it is still a good mid-range mini goal to work towards.

Well, after a couple more cups of coffee I am will be back at it.

Hope everyone has a great day, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-17-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Hey guys! Sorry I have been MIA the past few days, I had a take home final and a 4 hr block of psycho-educational testing to try to get accommodations for the GMAT, and work has been crazy because it is the end of the semester so everyone is trying to get holds removed, tickets paid, new bus passes etc.

Sue Wow that italian dinner sounds AMAZING I am sure I would have cracked too!

pam Sorting and thinning your christmas decorations sounds like sort of a fun process. the different decorations reminding you of past christmases and whatnot. I hope that you feel better soon!

mara you can do it!!!!

nikki CONGRATS! I hope to see you in the 230s thread soon
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 275/241/165

Height: 5'10"

Hey Pam! I loved canned veggies too. I really love sauerkraut (way too much salt though)! Good luck

I'm a graduate student- I took classes my first year and now do research and teach classes. I don't have an clear end in sight so to speak, but I'm in my 3rd year into a PhD program, so I'm getting there. My boss can be very rough and make me cry but he's an expert in my specific field so I want to stick with him anyway. I'm trying to put on a tough skin. I have from Christmas Eve through the New Year off. Maybe I'll walk my parents dogs and use their elliptical while I'm home.

Good idea with having one serving of food that you want everyday. I also like like Mara's idea of savoring it slowly. I split a single 'serving' bag of SunChips with my OH and really savoring it got the craving out of my system while still sticking with my calorie budget.

CONGRATS Nicki!

I know what you mean Wanna- I can sit at the table with friends for a few hours of great fun and for me the snacky food bowl needs to be away from me or I will eat it all.

Best wishes to you Pixicat! I remember my crazy undergrad days.

Weighed in today at 241 again. I ate way too much when I went out with coworkers to lunch the other day but then I had to trek 2.5 miles in 13 degree F weather to get to work (missed my bus by two minutes). I really needed the exercise though.

Last edited by peachesandcream; 12-17-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #65  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Pam.... Oh the salt is a killer. I have noticed a big change on my journey this time too. I had not noticed the water retention as much in the past. Maybe there is something in the air... but whatever it is... at least we know its the salt! I drink lemon water to help flush the extra water out (squeeze a lemon in cold water)... Your project of sorting thru ornaments is such a good idea. I have enough to decorate 4 trees (Themes too ) and alot of my (and I bet your) ornaments are pass downs from older relatives. They (ornaments) bring back such memories! You are doing so good on your journey and you (we all) will get thru the holidays and out the other side with happy memories!

MARA.. you are doing so gosh darn well! WOW! I see you in the New Year in another thread happily waiting for us! (Well Peaches willl be there with you!!!!)

PIXIKAT.. wow.. you are busy. I hope your final (test) is the final one you have tio take this semester! Are you still walking alot? Its gotten warmer there now right?

Peaches... Just think of your boss in his underwear! I know he might be a smart man (intelligence wise).. but he should also learn tact... (My boss needs to too!) We will be missing you here in a few days if not today! You are so close to the 230's

I hope all are well today! All of my leftovers are now GONE... so back on the stick again! Good thing as I weighed in at 249.8.... Couldn't have made it any closer could I?! LOL
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #66  

I am up a tiny bit today, 242.4, but it might be more with all the festivities. I am trying to me mindful of what I put on my plate though.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #67  

peaches What are you studying? I hopefully will be graduating at the end of next fall so I am starting to consider applications and the gmat and fitting in the calc prereq that my current degree doesn't require. I am hoping to stay here at UTD but I have another couple schools I will be applying to as well.

Sue Yup that was my last test for the semester, now I am just waiting for grades! I work this week, than I am completely off for 2 weeks. I haven't been walking much, I fell out of the habit early in the semester when I went to the doctor for a check up and get referred to the cardiologist. it took 6 wks to get in with them and I was told not to stress myself until they knew what was going on. When I got the all clear it was cold in the mornings and it was midterms.... etc etc etc. All really just excuses I know lol. I did go to the gym yesterday and I am planning to use the break to get back in the habit of going to the gym or walking if the weather is warm enough for my cold hating tastes lol

mara just do the best you can, it is a difficult month for all of us.

Today I am the same as yesterday but I am also sore from the gym so I hope that means I will see a new low soon! I have a catered lunch at work today, I ordered something that is OP for me, I will just need to avoid whatever desserts they have at hand and I will be ok. *fingers crossed*
Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #68  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile One Week Until Christmas!

Hey everyone!

Glad to see so many of you today. peaches n pixiekat, I sure do remember my college days and how this time of year means all of the rushing to tie up loose ends before winter break. I used to do a lot of walking in those days and since I went to college where it is sub-zero weather I remember barely showing my eyes between my hat and scarf wrapped around my lower face. I do miss actively learning like you do in school. I still try to watch the History Channel and other similar ones so I can learn something new when I can. I just think that keeps a person "interested" in the world around them but I can guarantee you will never read as much as you do in college and I think that is a shame because I love books so much.

mara I am with you on not only getting through the next two weeks without gaining any more weight but also possibly losing weight. I opened the 100 lbs Club sub-forum the other day and a new topic caught my eye. Another person created a challenge of losing 24-30 lbs by Easter 2014. It just might end up being one more thread to post to but it also might be an added incentive for me to kick things into high gear.

I have another e-mail support group that I have belonged to in the past couple of years and I will be rejoining them on January 1st. These are a group of women who used to belong to a paid weight loss site but decided once they got all they could get from that site decided to form a group on their own. I lead a couple of short term "challenges" and the leader is really great. If anyone is interested in joining just PM me.

Speaking of which, would anyone here be interested in joining any kind of short term challenge for either weight loss or exercising or both? I will say that I had never done any specific challenges before last year and I really found that when I followed the challenge's rules on a daily basis I really did lose more weight since I was so focused on doing the 'right thing' day in and day out. I have an excel spreadsheet that has the format of a "boot camp" challenge that we used in another group I was in last year on another site. Let me know how you feel and if you are interested. We wouldn't start though until January 6th. Each short term challenge runs 8 weeks and then whomever loses the most weight is "deemed" the "winner".

sue(wannaskip): Well, you are still technically in the 240s so whether you just squeaked by or not you are one of us.

We got another great deal on a fresh turkey last night so that is what we are going to have on Christmas Eve. My DH sings in the Midnight Mass so we will be going to that after we have eaten. I am still sticking to my guns and only allowing myself two favorite food items to eat one single serving at a time per day between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

I had to laugh. I made the switch to dark chocolate about 18 months ago and now I actually prefer it but on occasion I do have milk chocolate. The interesting thing is milk chocolate actually has more sugar in it so for me it sets up a craving. I have been allowing myself one single serving of dark chocolate for the past couple of weeks. It has been working. My DH was shopping and said they were out of dark chocolate and would I consider milk chocolate "this time". I wasn't thinking so I said "Yes". I don't know if this helped but I put it in the refrigerator (ours runs really cold) and it was so hard I had to nibble little tiny pieces off of a small chunk I broke off but "it worked!"

The scales hasn't budged so all I can say is that I passed on my usual evening popcorn and I am hoping I can change my ticker tomorrow.

Peaches it looks like you are the closest to breaking free into the 230s with Mara on your heels....and pixiekat is next in line with me in the middle of the pack and sue is our caboose. We make up one rockin' train.....

Take care all, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #69  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Hi ladies!!

I'm movin' in!

I'm excited to be here. Happy holidays everyone!

I'll probably post a bit more some other time, just thought I'd say hello first!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #70  
Sue finding inner song

Walrus! GLAD to have you join us on your journey downward! We have a GREAT Group here! You will fit right on in (I read the other thread too and hope to see a few more coming on in!)

Well.. now I feel like I belong better here... 248.6... so have some cushion!.. but I am now BOUND and DETERMINED to get back down to that 245 and then LOWER! 243 by 1/1 I am hoping!... Back on track and the sugary things and bready things are now NOT the ruler of me!!! (Fighting that little voice!)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #71  

walrus welcome!!!

sue see it is flushing right off!

pam if you live near a community college you can always take a class a semester or something just for fun. Take whatever strikes your fancy. If I suddenly won the lottery and never had to work I would totally do this once I finished my Bachelors. I would take time between semesters to travel and take pictures and learn new hobbies but I would definitely take random classes when at home.

So I bounced up a little again, I hope it is because I started working out again and my muscles are sore. I learned yesterday that if the office is having a party maybe I should bake a small atkins friendly dessert and take for myself and the other girl that is supposed to be on atkins too, we both gave in to the desserts. I didn't to horrible but even the couple bite I did have had some sort of effect on my insulin and I am supposed to be avoiding that. Thankfully it hasn't set off any cravings at least.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #72  

Welcome Walrus!

Sue great job on keeping active. I am slacking since it got cold. Need to be brave and do it anyways. lol

Pixi I am sure the sore muscles are causing the slight move up. And I am amazed at your will power. A couple bites would have been a whole piece for me. lol

Pam it sounds like you have a plan of action, so that is awesome. I am getting to were I like dark chocolate a lot. 72% is as about as dark as I can eat right now.

I am up. I am sure it is sodium from the two Christmas parties yesterday.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #73  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

walrus of Anchorage, Alaska! How much snow do y'all have up that way? I used to live in MN so I am used to sub-zero and lots of snow which it sounds like all of you "up North" are getting in spades this year.

Glad you could join us all and meet you on your way "down" the scale ladder.
Are you far enough north where you have daylight hours until 11 p.m.?

sue(wannaskip): Great Job on flushing out that extra pound that was hanging around. The main river that goes through Atlanta here is the Chatahootchee so I always say, " Better in the Chatahootchee than on me"

I hear you about dodging all of the carbs and sweets with this week coming up. Great Job in keeping active. Mine is more about going through a lot of stuff so although I am moving my upper body my lower body is doing a lot of sitting. I am finding it hard to even think about moving my body let alone doing something sweaty. This time of year when it is so cold (and yes, we are getting the wide temp swings that the rest of the country is getting) I just want to snuggle under the covers.. a lot!

pixiekat: thanks for the ideas about taking some classes. The area that I am moving to has some smaller colleges that I might check out. I would like to learn French again (I took it in high school) and I would love to learn a musical instrument.

So, are you following the Atkins food plan closely? I wanted to just try one of their food items so I went on their web site but you have to join in order to try them and I just didn't want that level of financial commitment so I didn't but I would have liked to have tried them anyway. I just placed an order from Diet Direct.com. I have ordered once before and they were always sending me catalogs even though, as far as I know, I never requested one from them. I ordered some multi-vitamins last time and I was really impressed with the quality of the vitamins. I have taken vitamins "forever" and it just seems like between me working on losing weight (less calories) and getting older the ones that I used to take just don't seem to 'do it' for me. The ones from Diet Direct are geared towards WLS patients (even though I never have had that so I was kind of confused why and how I got their catalog originally) but they are just excellent! I could tell within a few days that I had a lot more energy.

mara Sorry to hear that you are struggling with a cold. I have resumed taking Emergen-C again every day. I swear by it. I don't take the flu shot because 1) the cost 2) I sometimes have quite a reaction to some of them. I had two upper respiratory infections last December back to back. I did manage to come around on Christmas Eve but then early January it returned. Blah!

Hope you will be feeling well. Well, the "good news" about the Christmas parties is that most of them are over with. We got a last minute e-vite to go to a friend's house this coming Sunday afternoon for "light hor' doeuvres" and wine but, again the crazy weather, it is supposed to be 68 on Saturday and then tornadic weather on Sunday with lightning and the whole shish bang so I am not sure what we will do. I really don't feel like partying if the lights go out. Basements are a rare thing in these parts so it means just watching the family dog house do a "fly by" when the winds kick up.

Well, we are going to do our grocery shopping for next week. I am going to get some diet hot chocolate that I saw the last time but forgot to get as well as some fat free popcorn. I may not lose any weight next week but I hope that I also won't re-gain any either. This is a tough time of the year for us all so be "gentle" with yourself. We only have 8 days left and then we can all get down to some serious business come early January.

Take care all, Pam: comp:

Last edited by pamatga; 12-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #74  

Pam - I am really liking Atkins but I am following the 2002 book when it was still dr Atkins writing it. the people he sold it to are just out to make $$$ and don't seem to follow his original stuff at all. They often say alot of stuff is ok for induction that aren't. For most people that is likely fine, but for more sensitive people it won't put them into ketosis. So far I have only had 2 of the frozen dinners which i picked up from the local grocery store, it was ok but things I could make in bulk and freeze myself. Really the premise for the diet is do 2 wks at 20 net carbs with only certain veggies allowed at 1 cup and leafy greens at 2 cups per day, non carb foods eat til you aren't hungry, limited dairy to a serving or two a day. then after 2 weeks you add in 5g of carbs a week until you stall than you back down by 10 grams. you can stay at induction longer though if you want.

personally I eyeball the veggie servings and likely eat a small amount more, I have 2-4 servings of dairy, but I am still keeping myself at 20-25 grams of carb on days I manage not to slip and have a couple bites of something I'm not supposed to have.

in terms of the vitamins I am just taking the same multi vitamins I have always taken. I should add some fish oil or something but I haven't yet. nextime I replace my regular vitamins i probably will add them in
Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #75  
Sue finding inner song

I believe PIXIKAT! Yep.. the water is wooshing out! woohoo.. have 2.5 more to go by Christmas and I am going to do my darndest to make it happen! Did you get your test results? I also like your idea of taking a class to learn something you like just because! To stay young you need to stimulate your mind and why not strengthen it learning something new! Its been awhile since I took a class... You put the bug into me too (glad you posted that message to Pam!)

I too do Atkins Pam, and have learned over the years, if I stick with it... I can live with it. I do eat too much cheese tho.. That is my bane and I need to skip that in at least 1 of my meals LOL and I do not eat enough veggies (HATE THEM!) but I take fiber tablets and about 14 vitamins a day (B's, E, CoQ10, Omega 3, Fiber, D3, Calcium (like I need that with all the cheese I eat lol), Glucosomine-Chondroitin, extra A for my eyes, Cinnamon and some formula for Cholesterol lowering... I RATTLE all morning LOLOLOL But I know they are good for me and the excess flushes out (B's). I do like eating Atkins way and avoid the Bars. but in a pinch I do have the shakes in the fridge in case I don't have time to grap something (Good for road trips and boredom hunger!)

Its Friday and I hope you all have a terrific day!... WOW only 4 days to shop and 4 more days of FRENZY to watch!
Closed Thread