Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #16  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I did it kind of weird, I didn't lose it all in one go. 40 lbs. was always my magic number, so I lost 50 (took about 8 months eeek) and "lived" that way for about 6 months, then lost 50 more (took a year) and "lived" that way again for 6 months, just to be sure it was a life worth living LOL it was yay! Then another 50 took 8 months or so, then 3 years maintaining I think..my math might be off I don't have it as committed to memory as I should!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #17  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TXnow in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I've been a slowpoke compared to others on this thread: it took me 20 months to lose the first 50 lb. But I had two major crises during that period: my husband got a major life-threatening illness and had to be hospitalized for two weeks and as a result of the illness he lost his job, and then we had a death by cancer in our immediate family. =whew= I've been keeping a graph of my weight the whole time, and the graph shows two steep gains during & after each of those events. Now that things seem to be settled down, I hope to lose the rest quite a bit faster, like maybe 8 pounds a month if I'm lucky. =crosses fingers= My graph is looking good these days.

I agree with Arctic Mama: what's important is not how long it takes, it's that (1) you do it, and (2) you keep it off.

That number 2 part is the tough one: all the statistics I've read say your chances of regaining the weight and more so are around 90-95%. I want to beat those odds. I really really do. The trick is to develop permanent changes in your eating and fitness behavior. People don't learn new habits easily, so in some ways it's better for your longterm chance of success if you do it slowly.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote