Hello there bad feelings have a piece of cake...

• So I just realized how disordered I have become with food. Now in the sake of honestly I used to smoke pot that was my stress relief when life became to real. Well I gave that up over a year ago. I dont drink, I don't smoke cigarettes and Idon't party. Well this month has been God awful full of stress, hurt, worry, anger and fear. My family is facing very serious money problems and my five year relationship is going down hill quickly. On the verge of ending and I find now that. I'm using food to cope and when all these stresses add up I eat and I eat ALOT. I've put back on four pounds already. So I'm hoping by noticing and admitting my problem I can add "emotional eating sobriety" to my life.

• Well done for realizing it. I think writing it down makes it even more of a real admission, and gives you the strength to cope with it.
  • Thats how I feel about writing it down, makes it more tangible.

• relationship stress sucks. I went the opposite way, when my 6 year relationship was ending I didn't eat for about 4 days. nothing but coffee and cigarettes. no matter how this pans out for you, whether you solve it or dissolve it, you STILL MATTER. and I just hit caps lock accidentally but, I am going to leave it because I think it fits.
    you have to do whats best for you, no matter what happens with your relationship, and I think by posting on here that's exactly what you are doing. good luck, I hope everything works out how you want it.
  • Check out the book The Power of Habits.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Habi.../dp/1400069289

I found it really fascinating when discussing alcoholics and how dealing with feelings was a main trigger for drinking (i.e. I don't know how to cope with this but drinking makes me feel like I can cope with it). And how addressing those issues is main way that AA works for some people.
  • Hugs
  • Thank you for the support everyone.
  • **hugs** Good job for realizing what you were doing! I hope things ease up in your life soon
  • Big hugs from me. I am really sorry about all of the stress you have. I know how hard it can be. Good for you for recognizing the issue now.

I let stress overwhelm me for years and I gave in to the urge to use food to comfort me. As a result, now I have to lose 133 lbs. Many of the causes of my stress are now gone, but my weight is still here.

I hope you can find ways to comfort yourself and some way to give yourself a break from all that is going on in your life.

I will be thinking of you and wishing you the very best.
  • Big hugs!!! I can completely relate to the disordered eating process. First step is admission of a problem! Once you do that, you can do anything.
  • The phrase you used -- emotional eating sobriety -- really hit home for me. I feel badly because other than offering my support and encouragement, you've actually turned on a light bulb in my mind for me.

Addiction to sugar/high carbs/processed foods is a known factor for me. And I know that I'm an emotional eater and really have to watch it. But linking the two and realizing that it's really one battle, not two, just struck me. Probably a duh moment for some of you. But I just realized that if I, too, can add emotional eating sobriety to my list, then the sugar/high carbs/processed food addiction will also be addressed. It's definitely less overwhelming and seems possible now. Thanks for phrasing this in a manner that helped me think through this in a more positive way!
  • Thank you all for the lovely supportive responses

Betsy, I'm glad it helped you. The way I see it is that it really is an addictive response for some of us. I'm not eating those things because I need them or even really "want" them but my inability to handle stress leaves my mind thinking that I do. Just in the way that it would feel regarding any addictive substance. It's proven that sugar and other "bad" foods cause a release of chemicals in the brain that mimic good feelings and for me when I feel stressed and hurt I turn to false "good feelings" so I feel it fits I am glad it resonates with you. Good luck with your "sobriety".
  • I have coped with a lifelong history of depression using food as well, and surprise! I have a lot of weight to lose. I actually had success losing a few years ago, then I started eating my feelings again and gained most of it back.

The reason I had success, in retrospect, is because I traded my food addiction for an exercise addiction. Which, while useful for weight loss, turned out not to be sustainable long-term.

I don't have any advice for you because I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but I have been where you are and I know how it feels. Try to remember to be kind to yourself when you do have slip-ups. I found yoga to be really helpful in dealing with stress, but I hate doing yoga, so it's kind of a catch 22.