3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Advice for an embarrassing problem (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/285429-advice-embarrassing-problem.html)

SmallSteps 07-29-2013 01:40 AM

Advice for an embarrassing problem

Alright ladies I have developed an issue with underarm odor and it is horrible!

I shower every morning and every evening and use a body loofah and Irish Spring under my arms and Caress Body Wash on the rest of my body.

I have used every deodorant there is. Secret, Dove, Degree (regular and clinical strength) alone and I have also mixed several brands and types to no avail.

I have even went as far as trying feminine hygiene wipes under my arms through out the day as someone suggested and that did not help either.

Has anyone else notice their body odor changing as they lost weight? Anything you use that you can suggest I try out? I don't really have a sweating issue it is strictly an odor issue.

Underwater 07-29-2013 01:51 AM

I can't say that I noticed a body odor change, but I really like the Toms of Maine Lavender deodorant. If you are showering twice daily and still having issues, I wonder if you should see a doctor. Maybe it could be the hormonal changes due to weight loss?

(And don't be embarrassed- I've learned there is nothing too "TMI" for 3FC!)

SmallSteps 07-29-2013 02:05 AM

Thank you Underwater. I must say you look AMAZING!!

It isn't embarrassing to post it is however embarrassing at work to move and realize that foul odor is coming from you. I work in a doctor's office and I have to go to the restroom 2-3 times a day and wash my underarms and reapply deodorant.

I just want to find a miracle cure already! lol

Tai 07-29-2013 09:39 AM

Are you eating any new foods that might be affecting your sweat? Other than that, I second the suggestion to see your doctor. There is a prescription deodorant he or she can prescribe that might help.

I read somewhere that applying deodorant at night helps some people as well.

Mozzy 07-29-2013 05:39 PM

I think seeing the dr is a good suggestion!

Garnet2727 07-29-2013 06:21 PM

Is it kind of a skunky odor? I had a skunky smell in my pits (but no where else) and oddly, when I switched to unscented Dove soap, that cured it. I still have to use deodorant every day but for some odd reason, my pits started reacting to scented soap by smelling worse.

mccull83 07-29-2013 10:11 PM

I found that my laundry soap wasn't removing my deodorant from my bras, so after washing/drying I pour a little rubbing alcohol along the seam where my arm meets the bra/where the deodorant would be and rub a little with my fingers....took care of the funny smell that I'd started to notice in the middle of the day.
Just a thought :)

Lass22 07-30-2013 12:37 AM

Have you tried powder along with the deodorant? Amen's medicated powder might be worth a try. (Definitely see a Dr too.)

rubidoux 07-30-2013 12:48 AM

I'm allergic to normal deodorant so I've tried everything over the years and the best thing I have ever used is equal parts baking soda and cornstarch with enough coconut oil mixed in to give it a lotion-like consistency. I swear it works way better than any deodorant on the market.

SmallSteps 07-30-2013 01:08 AM

The idea of going to the doctor is really not appealing since I just got over a major illness and I hate doctors right now LOL

I will definitely try all your suggestions the baking soda and cornstarch and coconut oil sounds interesting and I know I have never tried that.

I wash all my laundry in Tide Sport with Febreeze to remove all the odor so I know it is not in my laundry it is actually coming from my armpits

SeeMyFeet 07-30-2013 10:37 PM

OK.....it's embarrassing to reply as well! But I'm desperately trying to avoid snacking tonight SOOOO in the spirit of helping I'll offer $0.02.

Many body odors are microbial in origin, usually bacteria are the culprit. The baking soda strategy would help eliminate bacteria. You might also consider home remedies that are used for foot odor (wikihow pages).

Confidentially, I was once quite embarrassed by my stinky feet in summer. Soaking them in dilute bleach did the trick. One soaking fixed them forever! Caution: my skin in general is tough as nails, my feet in particular, so if you have sensitive skin, you might want to try much gentler solutions, especially for tender underarms. Do you ever use Nair hair remover? It's quite harsh (has sodium hydroxide). If your skin can tolerate that, it will surely kill bacteria. (I have found that product to be quite painful!)

Also, once you think you've found a solution, you might have to keep working on the laundry. A washer might not eliminate 100% of bacteria from your clothing, and you might end up re-contaminating the area with "clean" clothes. The rubbing alcohol trick, bleaching what you can, and dryer heat could help there as well.

Smell ya later!......Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!.....I'm in a houseful of teenage boys and I couldn't resist! It's all so embarrassing, but a horrible problem, I know! Best of luck!

crazynette826 07-31-2013 06:26 PM

You could also try Chlorophyll pills. I started taking them back in January, and have noticed a definite decrease in BO. I originally bought them to help with bad breath. I buy them on Amazon. The brand I like is Chlorofresh, but you can also get them at most healthfood stores. I've seen them at Whole Foods.

Thinforme 08-05-2013 11:22 PM

Have you tried Men's brands yet? I know some of them smell very heavy and manly but you can find some that aren't as strong. I have also heard that there are botox shots that can help with overactive sweat glands. "though I am not advocating botox" it might be something you would be intrested in.