3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Does anyone keep "goal clothes" around? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/283206-does-anyone-keep-goal-clothes-around.html)

Quirky Chick 06-08-2013 04:18 PM

Oh, definitely. I have a basket in my closet that contains 7 pairs of cute jeans that range from size 12-14 (they were from the same time and weight, but some brands can run a little bigger or smaller), and some really cute XL sized shirts (had to wear bigger shirts due to my chest). I take them out and look at them once a week, to remind me where I want to be again. I was happy enough around 190, so if I were to stop there again, I'd be ok. But it's something to look forward to. Though those clothes were from 2009, and the styles they are, I still see them in stores. But if you go and look at this year's clothes in stores, you will see a little bit of everything is in. I saw the 1990's cuffed shorts, 60's, 70's and 80's sun glasses, 70's shirts, 50's polka dotted dresses, etc. So you'd probably be ok. lol

Sheridan 06-08-2013 05:34 PM

Hi Gals,

Now I have some size 12 jeans from the 70/s but they would be a smaller size in today's sizing. Did sizing change along the way or is this just an oddball pair?

Sheridan

Everlasting 06-08-2013 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mozzy - Haha... I had a crazy pregnancy point where I gave up hope and donated a ton of clothes too with no hope of ever fitting into them again. I wish I would have got on track after my pregnancy because once I had the baby out I had really only gained about 30lb and that would have been a lot easier to lose than waiting around and gaining another 40lb after that!

HelloNurse- Yes! I think I am definitely going to wait until I get to a place where I feel comfortable as a "goal" before I make mine, I have no idea what weight or size that will be, but I know in the smaller sizes a small, medium, and large can make a lot of difference (whereas honestly now my 2X and 3X shirts aren't much different). I am going to work on hubby's before hand just because I know he will want his a little larger to begin with, he does change sizes... he becomes a 32 waist in the winter, and then slims down to a 30 again as soon as summer starts and he is working outdoors again. Every year without fail or trying.

Sheridan - Yes, sizing has changed a LOT. Definitely have to try everything on at thrift stores because not only are brands different, but a size "medium" of today was a large or even XL in the past, and pants sizes are way off too.

I think my clothes will never go out of style. At least "my" style anyway. I like old fashioned stuff. I wear aprons over my dress in the kitchen, and basically only shop at thrift stores and fabric stores. I usually sew more things for my daughter than myself though... I have felt the last couple years that it is just a "waste" to make something nice for myself because it won't look good on me anyway. I can't wait to get to goal and update my wardrobe!

Here, I attached an image of the pattern.

Nagazim 06-08-2013 09:42 PM

I have an oldddddddddddddddd Tommy Hilfiger size 3/5 skirt from when I lost 78lbs at 16yrs old that I've held on to, just "in case". That would probably be the ultimate-est ultimate goal I could ever have. My closet is filled with sizes ranging from 6 to 26. I've been all over the place over the past 10 years and just held on to most of it. You know, in case I made it back. I've gotten rid of a lot of it, to save room for more fat clothes. :rolleyes: I don't think I would have to buy any clothing on this loss journey. I may end up with a couple shirts I have to wear a little big until the smaller ones fit again, but it wouldn't be too hard to manage.

I have a dress my DH bought me our first married Christmas together in a size 8. It's super dressy, and so pretty and I couldn't squeeze my then size 12 butt into it. So, my current "goal" clothes is that dress. I will wear it for the first time 6 years later! :carrot:

ubergirl 06-08-2013 10:22 PM

I absolutely can't wait to get back into the clothes I was wearing last year!

I gained so much I was forced to buy new fat clothes, but I really don't have too many clothes. Most of my stuff are "goal clothes." Can't wait to wear them again!

AwShucks 06-09-2013 01:25 PM

I thrift shop a lot, so I'm constantly trying on things that are just a bit too snug. If I'm within about 10 lbs of fitting into it, I'll purchase if I think it's a good buy. I love the feeling of finally fitting into something you previously couldn't even button!

I also have kept a few key items from special times in my life. I have an old bridesmaid dress from '89 that I've kept around. It's actually too big for me, now. I like trying it on because it reminds me of good times, and the fact that I'm kind of "turning back the clock" with my body.

I'm around the size now that I was when I previously lost weight in 2008 (I've been losing it again!) so I have lots of things to wear right now. Thankfully, I didn't give it all away!

jm474 06-09-2013 02:16 PM

I have two boxes of clothes ranging from 1X to size 8 waiting to be worn again. I can't wait to lose a bit more weight and then I'll go through them and "clothes shop". Some of them are a number of years old but I've never been much of a fashionista and wear pretty much classic clothes. Clothes that I wore 10 years ago, I could wear now and probably still wear in ten years time. My style is not very exciting lol.

smashlers 06-09-2013 02:32 PM

I don't have anything that is goal size... but I do have several pieces queued up, ready to go when I get there. Sometimes you come across a great deal and ya gotta spring.

PinkHurricane you mentioned 14 & 12 as being your happy and healthy range. I LOVE THAT. That is my goal. To be both happy and healthy and comfortable. I aint trying to mess with no 115 lbs. I'm too tall and been too fat for too long for that to even look good on me. I can hear my Jewish grandmother yelling at me already. LOL. ""EAT!!""

realsupermodelat230 06-17-2013 03:44 PM

I read in some book to get rid of all your "skinny" clothes the last time I tried to lose weight. So I did. At least I got rid of most of them. Like a lot of you, there were a few things that held particular significance to me that I held on to. I do have a few things in my closet that are within 15-20 pounds of being wearable and the rest need a good 80 pound weight loss.

ChickieBoom 06-17-2013 03:51 PM

I have all of my old skinny clothes. Thank goodness fashion is cyclical. Some of that stuff still looks good to me...although I've never been a trendy person so my clothes tend to be a lot more classic. I have been giving away my bigger clothes to Goodwill. I don't want to hold on to those. Every so often I whip out my clothes and start trying stuff on to see how they fit. That is something that helps keep me motivated.

kayin 06-17-2013 10:55 PM

I've yo yo'ed throughout the years so have clothes from size 20 to size 2. I threw away a lot of really old clothes and just kept the basics and the less worn stuff, so I probably won't have to buy many clothes all the way from now till goal.

I DID buy 2 goal clothes this year, a fitted dress to guage my upper body size, and a pair of shorts to guage my thigh size. Both were under $25 though (old navy and forever 21) so if they don't fit the damage isn't TOO too bad. (Although I hate to waste $40 so I guess I GOTTA fit those clothes SOMEDAY!)

AnnMarie77 06-18-2013 03:00 PM

I was keeping them but they started to bum me out so I got rid of them and I'll just buy new things. I do have a few pairs of jeans that are about 20 lbs off from my current weight, I kept those. But everything else got donated.

I'm struggling with getting rid of my clothes that are too big for me now, for some weird reason. I think I'm scared that I will need them again. But that is probably a topic for another thread!

HelloNurse 06-18-2013 03:53 PM

Throw those too-big clothes out! They will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Every time I know that I have pants that are even a little big, I grow back into them. If I don't keep things around that are baggy, then when my clothes get tight I have no choice but to get back on track and get them fitting again.

MizMelis 06-18-2013 10:34 PM

I have key pieces that i've kept, beautiful clothes that i haven't been able to fit into since a few years ago.I also kept all of my smaller sized jeans so that when i reach the point of fitting into them again.. i wont have to go out and buy new.
Even once i hit my goal, there are certain shirts i still wont be able to wear until my breast reduction, but i plan on keeping them because i know i absolutely will be able to wear them again.
Anything that was too big, i donated, except for one pair of jeans that were the largest size i've ever worn. I take them out every once in a while if i need a "pick-me-up" and to remind myself how far i've come.