Another Newbie

• Hello all...
    I have been reading this group for about a month now, and I decided to finally show my face

My name is Gina and I am 27 years old. I have two beautiful boys ages 21/2 years and 6 months. I have been married for 5 years, and I am about 130 lbs overweight. And loosing all this weight gets pretty overwhelming. I realize that it did not go on overnight, so I must be patient. I have a family history of adult diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease...the works. Also, I am at risk for diabetes because my last baby weighed over 11 pounds. UGH

I am an emotional and compulsive overeater and I have a problem with binging. I know I have to change, but have a problem with motivation and consistency. My hubby (who is wonderful, but no matter how hard he tries, will NEVER get IT) says I must not want it hard enough, because I am not doing it. That is not true. I think about Food and being over weight constantly.

So, I am here for your great support and motivation. I have had enough. And, I might as well start off with an excersize ?. I know that excersize is addicting (once you start) but how did you start? I feel so out of breath...and it is all too overwhelming. I hurt all over, and then get discouraged. ANy tips on how to get started and stay with it. I realize that being sedendary is a lot of my issue also.

Thanks alot...and I look foward to getting to know all you.
  • Hi Gina,

I'm also in the Boston area and I started off just walking a lit bit at a time. If you can only do 10 minutes, thats fine, just be consistent and try to do something every day. It really won't take long for you to feel comfortable going longer distances, just don't try to do too much too soon. Every week or every 2 weeks increase your time.

Boston is a great place to walk around in and there are many excellent places. I don't know how close to the city you are, but I love to walk along the charles and down into the faneuil hall area. The minuteman bike path has some wonderful views as well (it runs from somerville all the way to lexington!).

Soon (i promise) the endorphins will kick in and you will feel great! I can't wait now to go out and have a nice long walk. I recently did the 20 mile walk for hunger (something i couldn't have dreamed of doing last year).

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace, there is a wonderful group of people here.

Matt
  • Hi Gina!! WELCOME!!!

I know that this journey can seem overwhelming at times. But think in terms of baby steps. yes 130 can seem unmanageable, but 10. We can do 10 right!

I agree with Matt about the exercise. Start slow (baby steps again) and soon you'll be suprised how much you can do!
  • Hey Gina - Welcome to our little group!

I totally agree with Sandi - don't look at the whole 130 at once, or it WILL seem overwhelming! Break it into 10 lb. chunks, or even 5 lb. chunks. If your signature is accurate, I see that you have a small goal to start. (Also, if your signature is accurate, you must be fairly short to eventually want to be down to 110.)

As for exercise, start off with just 10 minutes a day of walking or marching in place. If you can't do 10, do as much as you can and up it a little each day. Take it slowly, but do SOMETHING every day so that you get into the habit of exercise. After a while, you'll feel like you've forgotten something when you DON'T exercise.

again, welcome
  • Welcome Aboard!
    Hello Gina, welcome! I know you are going to LOVE this site. Everyone here is wonderful, helpful, and at one time or another, has been in the same boat as us!

When I started losing weight, my life consisted of eating, sleeping, eating sleeping. No exercise in between. I had NO clue where to start.

Walking seemed like the best option, because I can do it, lol. So when I started, I would walk around the block. By the time I got back, I would be so winded, and tired. Then my legs would start hurting. Finally I realized that I had to do a few stretches before I threw myself right into something. So everyday, I would stretch before walking, then go around 2 blocks.

I would still be dead tired afterwards, but each day, I went a little bit farther. In the beginning, I didn't try to push myself. I walked at a pace that I could handle. Which was pretty slow.

As I built up the confidence to walk around other places, I went farther, and walked faster. It is just something that happened over a period of a month. By the end of that month, I could almost walk 3 miles at a good pace without feeling out of breath or tired.

I would have to say that walking is a GREAT place to start exercising. If you enjoy doing things at home, a great place to find exercises, is www.weightwatchers.com . I do not use the ww program, but have been to the website, and they sure have some great exercises.

Remember, that it will be a little tough in the beginning. When you go from a lifestyle with not much exercise, and then try to get into an exercise routine, you'll feel like your body is screaming, and yelling at you to stop. You shouldn't stop, but if you are in pain, or hurting yourself, you should slow down a little, and work your way up a little at a time.

Gina, good luck on your weight loss journey! Once you get going, you are going to feel GREAT, and I truly look forward to hearing some updates on your progress!

If you need anything, you can Private Message me anytime!

~ Kari ~

P.S. - The Journals here on the site are very very helpful
  • I agree w/everyone else--welcome to the site, we are a great group of people if I do say so myself.

You have to start w/baby steps as far as exercise goes. I walk 2 miles when I can get it in, but I started out just w/a walk around the block a few times a week.

I agree about journaling, just wish I had more time for it.

Again, welcome!
  • welcome to some of the wisest folks i know!!!

and they're so right about the 'baby steps' thing. an alternative to walking, just to vary the routine or in case it's raining: try one of the cable exercise programs. i started with gilad's bodies in motion [because he's so cute!!!} but the more i watched him, the mnore i realiszed that he was telling us to just do what we could, and not to try to keep up if it was too hard.

and all those floor exercises he did??? i did them by lying down on the couch or the bed! That getting-up-from the floor thing just wasn'[t gonna happen for me!!

and yes, i sat in the big easy chair and rested during commercial breaks.

baby steps led me to a 1-1/2 hour hard hike this morning with the dog... it'll work. honest!!!!!
  • Welcome its always great to "see" new faces here!
  • Welcome! Everyone else has covered your questions so thoughtfully. Good luck on your journey--we're always here for you!
  • Hi Gina

WELCOME! I am sort of new here too, and it seems like a wonderful group of people, so I hope you stick around, I know I will be Reading your post, your risks for EVERYTHING sounds just like my family history, I have been warned about everything, and I have even seen the cardiologist already, I have been hoping that by me starting now at the age of 31, that I might not get the diabeties that everyone in my family seems to have, and the heart attacks that they all have, and SO many other health problems.

No you did not gain this weight overnight, and I have to keep telling myself that same thing. Its going to take time, but you have to take it ONE day at a time, I sometimes get discouraged because I it is taking FOREVER to lose some of this weight, although I just recently started this newest journey to a better me. I look forward to writing in my journal, and I weight myself only when I go out of town ( the scales outside of GNC ) or at the doctors office.

I walk for my exersize, its a time for ME to get away from my kids, and my hubby, and I take everything in, I think of everything going on in my life, I fantasize about how I will look in a few months, I listen to REALLY loud upbeat music, and when I get home, I am energized, and feeling great! The other day when I was walking with my skinny sister I KEPT up with her & no more huffing & puffing, and that was the best feeling in the world, it just takes time, hon!

I look forward to knowing you better!! Take Care
  • Thank You all for such a warm welcome.

I started on my new treadmill today. I only did about 10 minutes...but ten minutes more than I did yesterday!!! Yahoo...it was NICE to get this ol' bod moving I appreciate everyone's advice on getting started. Thanks again...
  • Hi Gina and welcome - I'm in the boston area too

Just one step at a time girl, it sounds like you're doing GREAT