3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   The attack of the disgustingly divine smell of pringles, doritos and such snacks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/282488-attack-disgustingly-divine-smell-pringles-doritos-such-snacks.html)

Kitcherella 05-28-2013 05:23 PM

The attack of the disgustingly divine smell of pringles, doritos and such snacks

Somebody opened a bag of crisps next to me. The smell is out of this world. And I totally mean that.
Let me explain. I had a brilliant day foodwise.
I enjoyed a grilled sandwich with mushrooms and cheese for breakfast:love:, lunch (big meal of the day) was green beans and as a snack I had a small cucumber with a spoonful of yoghurt, olive oil,a bit of garlic :drool: and some cherries. For dinner I had planned to eat melon with cottage cheese. Fresh, quality ingredients. They all smelled great.

But when that evil bag was opened, the room was filled with a unique, tantalising smell that made all the people in it, turn their heads to find the source. Everybody wanted to taste the thing that came out of the bag. I was tempted too even though I wasn't hungry. And I thought...
"Wow, what a smell!"
"I need to eat."
"Hold on a second."
"NOTHING can possibly smell like this in the real world."
"And nothing does!"
"So, what is this?"

and I quote their webpage's ingredients:
Dehydrated potatoes, vegetable oil, rice flour, wheat starch, salt and vinegar flavour (lactose from milk, flavourings, flavour enhancer: monosodium glutamate, citric acid, malic acid, yeast extract) emulsifier: E471, maltodextrin, salt, modified rice starch. :yikes:

So are the evil lords :devil: of the food industry playing with me?
Are they trying to manipulate me to eat more by making something smell so delicious?
And what is my answer to them?

This shall not pass! (Gandalf-style)

I will not eat a potato that has milk, rice, citric acid and maltodextrin :no:
What on earth is maltodextrin? It is a white powder "easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose, and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless" to quote wikipedia.:shrug:

An alternative title for this thread could be - Nighttime, colourful, emoticon-loaded ramblings by a sleepy Maria.
I think it's time to go to bed. I have to run tomorrow and then cook some proper, real food.

ghost 05-28-2013 06:05 PM

Wow, you seriously just turned me off chips for the rest of my life. And for that I think you.

PreciousMissy 05-28-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcherella (Post 4755232)
What on earth is maltodextrin? It is a white powder "easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose, and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless" to quote wikipedia.:shrug:

What??? Are you saying that an "easily digestible" white powder doesn't sound appetizing? I'll never understand picky eaters...:dizzy: :lol:

ForTheFifth 05-28-2013 06:55 PM

Nothing is inherently evil. Ether eat the chips, or move on.

I love my doritos, and there is no one on this planet that will be able to convince me that eating them is unnatural or evil.

Food is food. You can starve yourself on doritos, and get fat off of fruits.

A calorie is a calorie.

ikesgirl80 05-28-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreciousMissy (Post 4755288)
What??? Are you saying that an "easily digestible" white powder doesn't sound appetizing? I'll never understand picky eaters...:dizzy: :lol:

::rofl:

fatgyrl 05-28-2013 08:04 PM

Monosodium glutamate is EVIL Hubby sabotaged me into splitting a bag of Doritos with him and 48 hours later every joint in my body still hurts.

punkrocksong 05-28-2013 09:25 PM

Reading the ingredients usually turns me off to a lot of processed foods. I figure if I can't pronounce something I probably shouldn't be eating it.

elvislover324 05-28-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcherella (Post 4755232)
brilliant day foodwise.
I enjoyed a grilled sandwich with mushrooms and cheese for breakfast:love:, lunch (big meal of the day) was green beans and as a snack I had a small cucumber with a spoonful of yoghurt, olive oil,a bit of garlic :drool: and some cherries. For dinner I had planned to eat melon with cottage cheese. Fresh, quality ingredients. They all smelled great.

and I quote their webpage's ingredients:
Dehydrated potatoes, vegetable oil, rice flour, wheat starch, salt and vinegar flavour (lactose from milk, flavourings, flavour enhancer: monosodium glutamate, citric acid, malic acid, yeast extract) emulsifier: E471, maltodextrin, salt, modified rice starch. :yikes:

That is DISGUSTING!! And chips are (were?) one of my favorite "foods" on earth!

And this is only an observation so please ignore me if I am being too nosy but your food allotment would starve me and make me want to eat chips!! I eat a lot of pre-loading food to keep the hunger pangs away (esp. chips and sweets) to be proactive against the chips and doritos and goldfish calling my name! A rough estimate of your calories seems about 500 at the most but maybe I'm missing something?

joefla70 05-28-2013 09:51 PM

I like chips as much as the next person, but I never found them to smell particularly appetizing. In fact, cheesy corn chips smell like sweaty gym socks to me!

IanG 05-28-2013 09:55 PM

My office smells like sweaty gym socks right now, which is one severe draw back of having a gym at work but not enough lockers.

joefla70 05-28-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4755519)
My office smells like sweaty gym socks right now, which is one severe draw back of having a gym at work but not enough lockers.

Are you sure somebody didn't spill a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos?

IanG 05-28-2013 10:18 PM

No-one spills Nacho Cheese Doritos.

You just eat them off the floor.

elvislover324 05-28-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joefla70 (Post 4755541)
Are you sure somebody didn't spill a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos?

That just made me think of the "nacho cheese" Cheeze-it commercial. Don't know why! :lol:

joefla70 05-28-2013 10:21 PM

Maybe it was because I used the words "Nacho Cheese"? Just guessin'! :P

elvislover324 05-28-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joefla70 (Post 4755554)
Maybe it was because I used the words "Nacho Cheese"? Just guessin'! :P

Well yes!! But why did yummy cheeze-it's pop in my head?? I should read the ingredients and maybe it will make me sick enough not to crave em!