Plan recommendations for me

• Hi guys. I love this board and have lurked for years. I'm really stuck/confused right now and would love some advice on what to do. I know that any plan will "work" for weight loss, but I would love to know what worked for *you* and why.

My background: Maintained healthy weight most of my life; lost 30 lbs on WW right after law school. Gained over the years of marriage/kids until 100+ overweight. Had gestational diabetes and am pre-diabetic.

Lost 40 lbs with a LC diet in 2008 and was continuing down until crises hit and fell off the wagon. Since then have joined WW several times but find it challenging to limit carbs on this plan and also struggle with hoarding points/night eating.

As I said, I'd just love to know what is working for you, especially if your story is similar to mine. I am trying to get some insight into why I seem to be so "stuck."

Thank you in advance!

Jes
  • I just joined WW, so I know that it is hard to keep up with everything. I'm really overwhelmed right now with it, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Have you thought about joining again and trying harder to stay on track? Maybe this time it will work?

Glad to hear that you went to law school! Kids slowed down my progress is school, until I withdrew and honestly haven't really thought about going back (something I need to do). Now with 4 little ones, marriage, I've put on over 100+! It makes me feel sick, that I could have stopped it, way before now.

**Sorry to have highjacked your thread!
  • Calorie counting worked best for me and I have tried many other plans including WW. Calorie counting is flexible , reliable. and free.. It is relatively easy to transfer to maintenance with CC and yes, I still do it.
  • Thanks, bargoo - amazing stats!

Going2b: you're not thread-jacking! All comments welcome. Congrats on joining WW. I want to get on board with that - no clue why I feel so lost.
  • I'm calorie counting (using MyFitnessPal on my phone and the web) and using the Beck Diet Solution for a cognitive behavior approach to changing my eating habits and mindset.

The other key thing for me has been active participation here--knowing I'm reporting back every day has helped me stay on track. There have been 2 weekends when I went completely off-plan--but knowing that I had a group to come back to was a large part of what got me back to counting and eating right again.
  • I joined WW for probably my 5th time in my life June 2012 and have had great success. I personally find it the easiest way to keep track of my food, find recipes, tips/tricks, and I actually limit carbs. I eat a good amount of eggs/egg whites, vegetables, lean proteins, salads. Carbs are my treats during the day and I also try to limit sugary fruits to avoid weight gain because they're "free".

My biggest suggestions/tips would be to pre-plan meals since you have kids and are super busy. Make lunches for 3 days ahead time, invest in some tupperware, and sandwich baggies for baby carrots, celery, bell peppers. I know it's hard but you can do it. Just keep chugging along and seeing what works for you and hopefully this thread will help you out as well!
  • I am EXTREMELY lazy when it comes to counting things, weighing things, etc. So, calorie counting or WW would never work for me. I started out doing the Quick Weight Loss Center diet -- because I had friends who were on it who had success with it. I did too. But I have since modified my diet. The QWL diet I was on was basically a low carb and portion controlled diet. You are allowed to have a certain number of portions of certain food groups in certain amounts per portion. For example, a particular plan had 2 /12 portions of protein per day. Then there was a list of approved proteins, and the amount of each one that composed one serving. I never actually weighed the protein or measured the veggies, etc. I kinda just eyeballed it. That worked for me. The plan also called for protein shakes and protein bars.

Later, I went away from that plan and did my own thing. I followed a very similar regimen, but did away with the protein shakes and bars -- except for one for breakfast as a substitute for the normal breakfast.

I also cut out almost all starches from my diet. No pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, etc. Once in a while I will have a low carb wrap. But that is about it for grains.

What DO I eat? A LOT of salads, with chicken or fish. A lot of veggies with (mostly lean) protein. I try to change up the preparation of my meals so they don't get boring, and use low carb / low fat / low calorie substitutes to things whenever possible.
  • I was diagnosised with insulin resistance back in 2003-2004 (?), tried everything, always gained weight, and could never stick to anything for longer than a couple of days. I've been through several diets during the past 2 1/2 years, that have all (except 2) worked for me at that point in time.

First I started with "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller. I started with their 3 meal a day plan, no calorie counting.

After 1 month, I added gluten free to that diet, since I was having severe back pain ONLY when I ate gluten (I actually did an experiment that would make a real scientist proud!). I also added exercise at this point. I would burn 600 calories at the gym 5 days per week (friends were motivating me. They would drive to the gym, so I had to be done by the time they were ready to leave, or I walked about 1 1/2 miles home).

After another month or two, I began to count my calories in my head, but not limit them, still using the CAD & GF.

After two weeks, I began writing down my calories. I realized I was eating about 3,000 - 4,000 calories per day, and losing weight!

Over the next 6 months (I think) I SLOWLY lowered my calories. I mean 200 - 300 lower every 2 weeks or more.

Eventually, I landed at 1,800 per day on non-exercise days, 2,000 on exercise days.

Now that I'm under 200, I aim for 1,200 on non-exercise days, and 1,500 on exercise days. I do not have to be perfect. Yesterday, I ate 1,536 and still lost. Unless I run 10+ miles in 1 day, then I would give myself a NET calories eating of 1,500 calories (hmmm... maybe I'll head out for a 10 miler on Saturday morning...)

In March of this year, I began eating Paleo-ish and tried to NOT count calories for a couple days. I only gained a pound or two, but the ravishing hunger came back. It's like when I know I get a certain amount of calories for the day, I'm fine, but if I rely on my brain and stomach, my brain takes over!
  • Quote: Calorie counting worked best for me and I have tried many other plans including WW. Calorie counting is flexible , reliable. and free.. It is relatively easy to transfer to maintenance with CC and yes, I still do it.
    This^^^
  • I think finding out what plan will work for you depends on how much added support you need.

If you need LOTS of support- Metabolic Research Center. Wonderful. In fact, I haven't been in for a week and I got an awesome voicemail that went something like this, "Hey Beautiful! Haven't seen you in a bit! Just wanted to check in with you and see if you were on the schedule. Talk to you soon." You get one-on-one sessions with a weight loss consultant twice a week.

If you need SOME support- then WW. :: shrugs ::

I've lost nearly 40 pounds by mostly just cutting out all processed and packaged foods and eating intuitively (I only super delicious things when I'm hungry.)
  • About 6 months ago I could have written your post almost verbatim.

I've tried and failed at WW multiple times, calorie counting, Body Media devices, working out like mad... Everything works for awhile, and then it just doesn't - because I'm a cheater-pants!!!

About 11 months ago my ortho surgeon told me that if I ever want to be pain free again I would have to have lapband surgery. It seriously scared the Sh!t out of me - and then I went into denial for about 6 months and gained another 10-15 pounds.

Around Christmas I started researching lapband and on this forum came across a post about a doctor prescribing Medifast for a patient to lose weight pre-surgery and it worked so well the patient stayed on Medifast through goal and never had to have surgery. So I started researching Medifast, but wasn't sure if it was right for me. I liked the relative ease and the rigid restrictions (I do better with clear yes foods and no foods, "sometimes" foods mess me up!). But I didn't think online support would do it for me.

About two weeks later I heard on the radio an advertisement for a new Medifast center that opened just a few miles from home. I called to inquire about pricing, and went into sticker shock for about a month. Then I realized lapband would easily cost me 10x more, not to mention the risks... So I decided to go for it.

I've been on plan for 45 days and have lost over 25 pounds. I feel more invested because of the cost.

I don't think Medifast is right for everyone. I think the key is to know you're mentally ready (because let's face it, weight loss is a mental battle, much more so than a physical battle!) and the research, research, research, until you find a plan that meets your personality and lifestyle. I could have never done this when my kids were little and I had to prepare meals for the family. Now that they're 16 and 17, they can feed themselves if they dont care for my lean and green meal.

Good luck in your search! I hope you find something that works for you!
  • These are great replies - thanks everyone!