Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #391  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Hey everyone, im here. Its my last week of school and my thanksgiving water weight wont GO AWAY!! Sigh, I dont get it....
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #392  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Quote:
"Cookies! Right now!" The voice was loud, but by keeping myself apart from it, by viewing it as not my voice, I found that even as upset & angry as I was, I did not have to act on the urge to binge.
That made me smile because one of my fav weightloss sayings that I use to remind myself to keep going, as shown in my signature is "I've come too far to take orders from a cookie".

I will check out that book, I don't know what my triggers are really other than boredom.
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #393  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterfish View Post
That made me smile because one of my fav weightloss sayings that I use to remind myself to keep going, as shown in my signature is "I've come too far to take orders from a cookie".
That's a great line, jitterfish! I'm going to remember that one. =smile=

Last night I was beseiged again with the urge for sweets—which for me is equivalent to the urge to binge. It was rougher than the previous time I mentioned: my brain was screaming LOUD in my head that I should get in my car, drive to the nearest convenience store or late-night grocery store, and buy LOTS of cookies, and some candy, too. I could literally feel my right hand itching for the car keys.

But I wasn't actually hearing a voice: it was just a very powerful urge. I've read that some people, when they get psychotic, experience what are called "command hallucinations," where a voice is telling them to go do something. What happened to me last night, even though I wasn't "hearing voices," seemed a lot like a command hallucination.

It also felt as though I'm giving up a very heavy drug. I guess I shouldn't be surprised: I've been binging on sweets for nearly 50 years, and this is the first time I've commited myself to resisting the urges. I guess I never thought it was possible to resist the urges, before reading Hansen's book. But it is... I managed to make it through last night without fighting or engaging in any way with the urge, without what's called "whiteknuckling." I just lay on the couch listening to music, and listening to the urge of course, until finally the urge faded away and I fell asleep.

Quote:
I will check out that book, I don't know what my triggers are really other than boredom.
That's the great thing about Hansen's technique: you don't have to know what your triggers are, you don't have to understand why you binge, and you don't have to go through a bunch of psychotherapy.

Anyway, that's my update, currently working on Day 15, binge-free...
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #394  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Fiona. Tell me a little more about this book on binge eating. What kinds of things does it have you do? Are you just giving up all sweets or are you working some in? Food is a drug for me too and I have been working on cognitive skills to control my diet. And bingeing is one of the things I need to work on. I am really interested in the skills you are learning. Please share more.
LoseToAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #395  
rockin' my 60s!

LoseToAll— The best way for you to get a sense of Kathryn Hansen's technique is to check out her Brain Over Binge blog. I put the link to the "Tips for Beginners" article, but really the whole blog has tons of useful information, including a FAQ. But obviously you have to read her book to get the whole reasoning behind the method, which is what helps you be strong in your resistance to the urges. It's really not like any other approach to eating disorders, because you don't have to go through a bunch of psychotherapy to get rid of the urges to binge.

Myself, I'm temporarily choosing not to eat any sweets at all, because I'm on the Atkins very low carbo diet.

'Hope this helps...good luck! =smile=
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #396  
Funky

Fiona. Thanks for the link. Very interesting as I was reading I realized I binge like over eating, not the purge type. But I can see how it helps you. It was eye opening for me. Thanks.

I am up another lb today... Yuck but I am just going to let it go. TOM is coming and that always throws me off. So I just need to say oh well and let it go.

I am doing 5:2 fast today to make up for Sundays mess of a day. I just can not eat like that anymore. I didn't even eat myself sick just over ate calories -almost 3000 calories total. The chocolate pie was what I really regret. I am not going to do it again.

Weigh in is Friday and I hope that I am down 3 lbs. to gat back to 230. I was 229 last week. Just want to be down to 225 by new year.

Hope you have a great OP day.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #397  
rockin' my 60s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoseToAll View Post
Fiona. Thanks for the link. Very interesting as I was reading I realized I binge like over eating, not the purge type. But I can see how it helps you. It was eye opening for me. Thanks.
You're welcome. It's been quite an eye opener to me to realize that I have an eating disorder: Binge Eating Disorder (BED). I always thought of eating disorders as just anorexia nervosa and bulimia. I don't purge either, but purging is not part of BED.

Good luck on your weigh-in! =smile=
Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #398  
Funky

Fiona maybe I am BED too. I get such an urge that I can not even think straight and when I mess up I have always just given up and binged. Not anymore. I have been doing the 5:2 fasting and calorie counting and it has helped so much. I still work in my favorite things but only in moderation. The Judith Beck book has helped alot. Changing the terrible thoughts I have and letting go of the mess ups has helped me stay motivated. Not the perfectionism the I suffer from. The all or nothing mentality is over for me. I just have picked myself up and got back on plan. I think I am doing what you described??? I also have given up dessert I starts a cascade of sugar urges that I want to stay away from.

Down 1.5 this week from weigh in last Friday. But the scale goes up and down and it is a killer for me. My goal was to be at 225 by the 19th but I am now shooting for the 25th. It is not going as fast as I had hoped. I have to stay on plan during the weekend, I always lose it but the plan is to stay in calorie range.

Hope you have a great on plan day.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #399  
Funky

Weigh-in day, down 2.5 lbs. 227.5 from 230 last Friday. Now if I can keep it off over the weekend. The weekend always gets me.

Fasted Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday with 600-700 calories. And it was very manageable.

My goal is to be 225 by next week or possibly Christmas.

Hope you are all well.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #400  
rockin' my 60s!

LoseToAll— It's been just you and me here for several days now! I guess the others are busy with end-of-semester and holiday activities. I was reading on another thread about a woman who's going to bake about eight different kinds of cookies for her nephews & grandchildren & neighbors: oh man, there is no way I could do that. I used to enjoy baking cookies, but it was always Binge City for me, 'cause I would eat some of the dough and eat at least half of the finished product all by myself. I feel a lot safer in this thread, =laugh= reading about your doing those 600-700 calorie "fast" days. That sounds very clean and sensible for this time of year.

As for me, I'm stickin' to my modified Atkins diet: meat and cheese with just one 40 carbo gram meal (half a cup of muesli) at noon. I am totally amazed that I'm now on Day 23 of my binge-free streak. I give Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge book a lot of credit: her technique got me through some serious cravings earlier in the sequence. But you know what? Now I don't even have the urges anymore. It's like I've gotten out of the habit of having them. I hope I never ever get it back!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #401  
Funky

Fiona. I love to bake too. I made sugar cookies a few days ago and I had one and that was it. I was so proud of myself. I made chocolate chip banana bread for my neighbors and I haven't had any of it. The bingeing has stopped since I have been on the 5:2 fasting. About 8 weeks now and I have lost 13 lbs. it has been amazing. I am eating low carb too. Staying away from the sweets and counting calories. I have never been this successful on my own. I lost 40 on nurtisystem but gained it right back after I stopped eating their food. That is why I am in the regain thread.

If I made a bunch of different kinds of cookies that would be the end of me. I would have to try them all. Congrats on the 23 day streak. You are an inspiration. How many calories are you eating? Do you count? My dad was on Atkins and he lost but I am not much of a meat eater. I love cheese though that would be good.

Don't worry about it being just us. More will come if we keep up with each other. The new year is coming so lots of people will come and look on us. :-)

Have a great weekend.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #402  
rockin' my 60s!

LoseToAll— So you did your previous loss on Nutrisystem? I did mine on Jenny Craiig, back in 2007-2009: it was expensive, but I had a really good counselor. It was my first time doing a reasonably sensible diet, so I really needed the structure of the JC meals and weekly weigh-ins. I went from 332 to 225 (right where you almost are!), but then I got a severe fungal infection (I'll spare you the details). I was sick for quite a few weeks, and then on top of that my husband went into a proloooooonged treatment-resistant depression, so bad that he eventually lost his job and had to go on disability. I was so stressed out by his illness, I lost all track of dieting and binged my way through a few years, gained back the weight & more so. By the time I was back at JC, trying to get back with the program, my counselor had left for a different job. My heart wasn't in it, I was still binging, so I just floundered for a while, developing some really bad habits in the meantime.

I started trying to do the Atkins "induction" diet (20 carb grams a day), but got stuck in a pattern where I was doing Atkins perfectly except for periodic binges on sweets. It took me 20 months to lose 51 pounds. Finally I did some reading up on what makes people successful at big longterm projects, and realized I need social support. That was about 6 weeks ago, when I came onto 3 Fat Chicks. Thanks to 3FC, I got good advice about what other books to read, and tumbled to the fact that I had Binge Eating Disorder.

First I did a project where I identified my main trigger foods (cookies, candy & donuts), and completely abstained from those foods for 52 days. But I was starting to "learn" how to binge on other sweets, like pie, so I was still in the binging rut. And then came Kathryn Hansen's book, which was exactly the message I needed. And thus: my first serious mini-goal, to give up all emotional/compulsive/binge-type eating for 30 days. As I said before, no one is more amazed than I am that I've made it to Day 23.

What I'm doing now is a relaxed version of Atkins where I have one 40 carb gram meal (a half-cup of muesli) a day. (I discovered that I need a bit more carbs or else I get depressed.) Other than that, I only eat meat (organic, humanely raised), cheese, eggs, salad greens, and occasional nuts. And cream—for my coffee and with the muesli. I'm not counting calories right now, because my main focus is on unlearning those habits of gorging on sweets. I only lost 2 pounds last month, and to be frank, I won't mind much if I don't lose any this month. (I only weigh myself once a month, to avoid scale-induced stress.) I'm just SO happy not to be binging. Maybe in a month or so I'll start counting calories...I don't know yet.

That's really impressive you made cookies and only ate one! I'm viewing cookies as kryptonite right now: I can't handle being around them. My husband eats them, but we do separate grocery shopping and separate meals. He keeps all his carbos in a cabinet that's high up, where I could hardly reach them if I tried.

P.S. Can I call you Funky? It seems like a nice nickname. =smile=

Last edited by Fiona W; 12-14-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #403  
Funky

Fiona. I was on JC in college and lost to goal. Then got married and had two kids and it wasn't until 2011 that I got on nurtisystem lost 40 pounds to 200 but got bored with the food and I missed eating with my family. So I quit nurtisystem and gained it all back. I found 3FC and MyFitnessPal and started counting calories and for the first time in my life I worked on losing by myself with support from 3FC. I started working on my emotional eating. I ate when I was happy, sad, bored... You name it I had an excuse. So now I have found the 5:2 interrmittant fasting and it has helped so much. I don't feel deprived like before. I work everything in within calories and moderation.

I am so glad that Atkins is working for you. I think you are very smart to just focus on the 30 day binge free goal. It is making you so happy. I can tell. Smart to have the carbs in the house out of reach.

Of course you can call me Funky. I like it too.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #404  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Hello ladies, I've been reading through (where is everyone I wonder?) with a lot of nodding on my head.

I make my husband keep temptation food like that well out of my height or hidden, but more often now we just don't have it in the house. We have cookies for the kids (I have 3 and 4yr olds) but I buy ones that are super cheap and taste like play-dough LOL. The kids like them but they are pretty nasty, stops me going there. Otherwise I will hit that moment where I need to eat and suddenly 10 cookies have been consumed and I am filled with remorse. Now, when I feel the urge it means I have to go somewhere to buy something which makes it a very concious decision. I talk to myself, angel and devil on the shoulder "do it" "no don't do it" and sometimes give in, but by then I've usually come up with a moderation idea, like only buying 3 pieces of candy from the local shop which is easier to work in to my daily food budget than a whole chocolate bar - Although having said that, I do love the Atkins endulge chocolate bars, I worked out they are as many propoints (I'm on WW) as one of the WW muesli bars, so often I'll go buy one of those to hit the chocolate fix.

My current state of mind though is I'm sick of thinking about what I'm going to eat, that is the problem with losing weight for so long. The temptation is there to just say F***it for the week, but then it always takes so much longer to lose the weight than to put it on, just trying to stay positive and focussed. Hard at this time of year though!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #405  
Funky

Jitterfish. I love your zombie quote. Made me laugh. I get in that mentality too. Just screw it and gain in 3 days what I have been working on for 3 months. I agree that working on losing weight is tiring. I have just barely got into the mentality that this is my lifetime struggle. Depressing but everyone struggles with their weight it seems so I am in good company. By your counter it looks like you are doing good. Just a little more to lose and then maintainance.

My chocolate fix is chocolate berries from Costco. 20 berries for 120 calories. I usually only eat them during TOM. I gain that week anyway so chocolate equals keeping my sanity.

Hope you are good. Have a great OP day.