3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Cholesterol and weight loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/27862-cholesterol-weight-loss.html)

Sheila53 05-22-2003 05:06 PM

Cholesterol and weight loss

I was hoping my cholesterol levels would go down because I'm eating better and exercising 7 days a week. Just had my check-up today and my total reading is the same as last year, but the LDL (the bad one) has gone up. I do remember reading that anorexic people often have high cholesterol because their body produces more to preserve itself from starvation. I don't think I've lowered my calorie intake that much! :)

If my insurance covers it (and probably even if it doesn't), I'm going to go see a dietician, but I'm curious if anyone here has a cholesterol problem and has been able to lower cholesterol without drugs. I'd really like to avoid taking the medication.

GeorgiaLady 05-22-2003 05:45 PM

Sheila,

I'm going to have my bloodwork done again in 1 month...I was borderline/high about 4 months ago. I've been reading that refined carbs and sugar have a lot to do with your body creating cholesterol...I've been eating soy products, lean meats, veggies and fruits. I eat Earth Grains 35 cal. bread with 3 grams of fiber a slice. I have really reduced the sugar in my diet and don't eat a lot of candy, white bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. I really think there's going to be a significant difference in the numbers the next time I get the blood checked. The weight is coming off too...30 lbs. in 4 months...no headaches and indigestion is gone. I walk on the treadmill about 20 min. a day.

Just some suggestions.

Good luck!!

Sandi 05-22-2003 05:46 PM

Mine is high too. I know one of the girls said in the past that almonds help. Maybe add an oz. a day to your diet?

Jennelle 05-22-2003 05:49 PM

Some of it is also genetics. Even when I was eating like crap, my cholesterol was always very low (like in the 140's).

jiffypop 05-22-2003 11:35 PM

<VERY sympathetic sigh> now, what i'm about to say in no way means that people shouldn't eat healthy whole grains, fruits and vegs... BUT... that genetic component is very strong. and our bodies actually make the cholesterol. in some people, it works overtime, no matter what they eat. their levels are always high.

but often their diet makes the levels go even higher.

so, for all of you eating a heart-healthy diet, keep it up even if you're not seeing the results you think you should. you may actually be preventing even higher levels.

Jennelle 05-23-2003 12:22 PM

Jiff - I totally agree. My hubby has the opposite problem from me - even when he eats very cleanly, his cholesterol still hovers around 200-210. If he doesn't eat right, it's more like 240 or 250. His dad was like that, his brothers are like that....and you're right - it's better to be 200 than 250.