Live Like No One Else, So That Later, You Can Live Like No One Else

• Dave Ramsey says this quite a lot about financial freedom. However- I think the same rings true for health and wellness freedom.

According to the CDC, two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. The average lifespan is 78.1 years old. A third of Americans have hypertension. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. Over a third of adults are on prescription medications. The average american also spends $8,233 per year.

In almost the same breath, the CDC reports that fewer than two in 10 Americans get the recommended levels of exercise (only 150 minutes!!), and more than a quarter of U.S. adults do not devote any time to physical activity. In addition, on average- 4,500 calories are consumed per person on Thanksgiving Day alone.

According to Harvard, the average American gets a total of just three servings of fruits and vegetables a day. The latest dietary guidelines call for five to thirteen servings of fruits and vegetables a day (2½ to 6½ cups per day), depending on one’s caloric intake.

I thought these figures were particularly thought provoking.

I don't want to be average.

I want to "live like no one else, so that later- I can live like no one else."
    I want to exercise and eat different then the Average American, so that next year (and the years following) I can live free from being overweight and avoid the other ailments that plague Americans.

Have you ever thought about it like this?
  • I think so?

My take on it being that it was only once I took an inventory of where I was, and what I like and dislike, who and what I am, what I want and what I don't want... That made things run MUCH more smoothly in life. I can focus my attention better on who and what I love, rather than running round in circles trying to please people who couldn't care less, and trying to fit into some arbitrary ideal that kept changing any time I got even close.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at, but only through commitment and focus on what's important to me have I ever got anywhere close to building a healthy and happy future for myself and the people I care about.

Hope that made sense, heh
  • I like that quote!