Yo-Yo dieting!

• I was reading shape this morning and there was an article on the 10 commandments of health. one was Thou shalt not Yo-To diet. Ok, I knew that gaining and losing was not good, but the article suprised me. Here is what it said...

"Even if you do end up keeping the weight off, new University of Michigan research shows. Women who gain and lose 10 pounds over a yearlong period at least 5 times during their lives are much more likely to have postmenopausal heart problems - even if they are thin."

Hmmmmm...did not know that!!!
  • Wow, I didn't know that either! I did know that the more you yo-yo, the harder and harder it gets to actually take any weight off.
  • Geez, what good news! I have wondered if Luther Vandross' yo-yoing had anything to do with his stroke. Bless his heart, he looked wonderful and eveidently felt great too. It is such a shame that this happened to him (or anyone else). I hope he fully recovers.
  • Kind of scary. I have a complete "50 year old" physical exam next week and that might be something to talk to my doctor about. I've been a yo-yo dieter for about 40 years.
  • I hope you ladies won't let that keep you from continueing on! The world of science is filled with studies that say on thing and other studies that report the complete opposite.

Even if you yo-yo dieted in the past, you cannot do more damage to your body by losing weight than by staying overweight. The science behind the health factors associated with obesity is not in dispute!