Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Mandalinn hit it right on the head. You did it before. You felt great while doing it. So just do it again. You know you can. If the doctor told you that you had cancer, you wouldn't need to be motivated to get chemo. Well, this is very close to the same thing. We all know it, we might not want to admit it. I'm never motivated to shovel snow, mow the grass, do the laundry, or mop the kitchen floor. But it all has to be part of the routine.

Just do it.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #17  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
I'm never motivated to shovel snow, mow the grass, do the laundry, or mop the kitchen floor. But it all has to be part of the routine.
Lin
Isn't that the truth?! BUT...I LOVE how it feels with the laundry is done, the driveway is clear or the kitchen floor is sparkling.

Just like how I LOVE the feeling when the numbers on the scale drops or my pants feel not as tight.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with what others say that there's just that day where you wake up and can do it. In the meantime, are you at all competitive? If so, find a buddy, pick one day a week, and then share your pounds and inches loss. Also, I bought a scale that measures in tenths of a pound. I know it sounds silly, but it motivates me to stay on the diet even if I only lost .1 or .2 of a pound. In my mind, it's working!!!! But, I have to admit that knowing I have to share the weight loss and inches loss every week has been a huge help in keeping me on track. And, it's a very friendly and supportive challenge. We email back and forth as we don't live close to each other and share what's going on during the week.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #19  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I agree with Mandalinn, too, and with the others who have said to take it one day at a time. I just wanted to send one more cliche that has helped me, too. Fake it till you make it. Force yourself to go exercise one day, then the next, then the next. Force yourself to eat a healthy breakfast on just one day, then the next, then the next. Cut out snacks for one day, then the next... All of a sudden your habits are set in a good way!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #20  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Bee View Post
You aren't the first person I have read about that watched that show and ate while watching it. I am starting to think there is a pattern here and that show is a trigger making some of us break down and eat poorly.

In any case, I wish I had some good advice for you on motivation, but I am empty handed. I tried for 3 solid months, night after night , trying to motivate myself to get back on track. I tried being nice to myself and promising how great it was going to be. I tried berating myself about how awful I was being to my body. I made myself promises and threatened taking away treats forever. Nothing worked. I just woke up one morning and suddenly I knew I was back on track. Granted it has only been a week, but I already feel much better.

Maybe baby steps will work for you? Instead of being 100% on a plan, practice saying "no" to the bag of chips or allowing a small portion you pre- measure into a bowl plus an apple? It's not ideal, but it would be a small victory that you could feel good about.
She is so right.. I kept trying to force myself to be "ready" and if your not ready your not ready. But still keep trying ok. Don't give up. Forgive yourself, and go shopping.. hehe.. Even when I'm broke I'll go to goodwills, and savers and just shop a little. It gets my mind of stuff and I can just chill.
xoxo hugs.. Hope it gets better for ya!!
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #21  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Thank you all! This is the reason I come here! In your face advice without tap dancing around it.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #22  
Tired Of Just Surviving

I am not a whiny, needy person. I just remember how it felt last year when I was on track and losing weight, how great I felt, how I looked forward to exercising and weighing in.

I am just saying I can't seem to get "THAT" feeling back again. I know it will come in time but until then I am taking it a day at a time. This week has been very good for me, but unfortunately the scale is not showing it yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #23  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Edited to add: I was re-reading, and I wondered if I was too harsh, so I'm sorry if it came across that way! For me, this is a real empowering message...I am in charge! I make the decisions! I don't have to wait for the motivation gods to rain willpower from the sky to get started!...that's the point I was trying to make.
Unfortunately not all of us can "Just do it", if I can't find my will power and motivation nothing is ever going to happen.

Update: I seemed to have found it this past week even though things aren't going smoothly things are going
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #24  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyangies View Post
She is so right.. I kept trying to force myself to be "ready" and if your not ready your not ready. But still keep trying ok. Don't give up. Forgive yourself, and go shopping.. hehe.. Even when I'm broke I'll go to goodwills, and savers and just shop a little. It gets my mind of stuff and I can just chill.
xoxo hugs.. Hope it gets better for ya!!

Thanks Sassy and you are correct if you are not ready you are not ready. You can't force yourself to have motivation, desire, willpower.

I did get myself going this week but it has not been completely smooth sailing but at least I am moving.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

It gets easier, too. I was not at the gym very often during December. It was just so busy from Thanksgiving right through the new year. Last week I put it off again. This week I went on the days I usually go - Body Pump on Mon and Wed, Cardio Kick on Tues. This week feels AMAZING, so I assume I'll go on Sat and Sun like I was doing before. I think we get into a rut and we tell ourselves we'll get moving, but we forget how good it actually feels to do what we know is right. Once we start up that positive behavior, it's easier to keep it going.

You did so well last year - you'll get it back soon.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #26  

Someone has this in their profile:

One year from now you'll be glad that you didn't give up.

Keep pushing yourself, keep thinking about all the awesome clothes you're going to buy when you reach your goal weight!

You can do it!
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #27  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallSteps View Post
Unfortunately not all of us can "Just do it", if I can't find my will power and motivation nothing is ever going to happen.

Update: I seemed to have found it this past week even though things aren't going smoothly things are going
Glad things are going better. I understand totally how if your head isnt in the game its tough to do. I know if my head isnt in the game its pretty much impossible to stay on track. Things change tho, one day it seems better or "right", thatll happen to you the thing is to just hang on and minimize the damage and it will click for you promise.

Last edited by misspixie; 01-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I've found in my own experience that when things are not going well in other parts of my life, motivation for bettering myself kind of goes out the window. Sometimes I can push through it, and kind of keep working out and making better food choices on autopilot, sometimes it's very difficult to not completely fall off track. The truth of the situation is not a pleasant one. You need to deal with the things that are setting you back, and that's not to say "just fix them" because not all setbacks can fixed. But you need to acknowledge them and make some sort of plan to deal with and move past them.

If there are no other setbacks and it's just about the weight then don't be so hard on yourself. If this week isn't the week to go balls to the wall at the gym, then that's cool. As along as you try not to derail your eating habits too much you'll be fine. Maybe next week you'll see a pair of kick *** heels that will look great with a short skirt, or a celeb haircut you need to try that will motivate you again.

Sorry for the rambling, I had a green tea about half and hour ago, and I feel like I've been posting like a crazy person

Anyway, I hope that helped. Good luck!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #29  

Height: 5'8.5"

Yes yes YES to what Mandalinn said! That elusive motivation is not going to get you anywhere because even if it appears it won't last long. You just have to make a decision and go DO it! So often after working a long day I feel "motivated" to go home and crash out. But I head my car toward the gym anyway and go do my workout and am always SO glad I did!!!

And yes all of us CAN "just go do it." It's not any easier for those of us who do it than for those who don't. It just depends on whether we want something badly enough to do what it takes to achieve it.

And once it becomes a habit, it does become easier. And it also helps to become actively involved here to give yourself some accountability and support/encouragement.

Hang in there!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 01-20-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 247/240.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm probably the LAST person who is qualified to give advice about motivation, but I'll chime in with what has kept me going THIS time... honestly, the "goal" and "mini-goal" pictures have helped. I see people who have lost as much, if not more than me and it's amazing.

I think "mini-goals" are a great start! It's easier to look at a smaller picture and add a bunch of small pictures together to get the BIG PICTURE!!! Losing 100+ is extremely overwhelming... but losing 5, 10 or even 20 isn't. Keep track of the little things until it ends up being a big thing... and then celebrate!

I also think that being accountable to someone (I have my trainer as well as people on the site) helps... I'm honestly one of those people that needs a and I expect people to get on my case when I do something wrong!

Good luck with your journey!
RNJen30 is offline   Reply With Quote