Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

Never followed the show before this but I just started watching it recently (Season 13). I'm curious how they can workout for 4-5 hours everyday at such high intensity and not get sore muscles the next day? No injuries?

About 13 yo and 16 yo in the next season...Well to start off, if they carry on their lifestyle at home which led to them being overweight... it's not healthy at all either and the longer they carry on with it the more used to it they get, the harder for them to change later and maybe they will get even bigger and it will cause them serious health problems at a young age. Not sure how they are going to train them on the show but I think it's better for them to start younger so they don't let the problem escalate further and miss out on their youth because of their weight problems (being bullied/ made fun of, can't wear fun clothes like other kids, play sports, feeling tired easily and can't focus on study, depression & etc.). I'm sure a lot of people who are overweight in their 20's wished they had dealt with it when they were younger. From the other post in this thread it seems they will be given different treatment than the adults so I don't know, maybe it wouldn't be as extreme for the 13 &16 yo But what's for sure is that if they carry on growing up with their fat lifestyle, it's certainly not good for them.
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #17  

And I know there are kids around that age watching the show too because I once lived with a family while I was studying abroad and they have a 15 yo daughter who is overweight and she watches the show every week and tries to learn from it how to lose weight but then they didn't have any kids on then so she was basically trying to do what was meant for adults and not for someone her age. I guess they do need to have some younger people on the show because it is a family show and there are kids watching and following the advice from the show.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #18  
the muse of memory

Quote:
Never followed the show before this but I just started watching it recently (Season 13). I'm curious how they can workout for 4-5 hours everyday at such high intensity and not get sore muscles the next day? No injuries?
They can't. And that is why I dislike the show.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
They can't. And that is why I dislike the show.
^ Seems stuff like that is bound to happen on a show called the biggest loser. I knew some of them are probably getting sick when during that one chinese food temptation challenge they refuse to even eat 1 fortune cookie...it's just ridiculous, a fortune cookie probably has less calorie than an apple and it's not like they're going to start losing control cause there's no chinese food in the ranch anyway. But that's tv afterall, there are shows where people just gorge on food and now there's a show where people just compete to lose weight, different directions but both unhealthy. A show named the normal loser probably wouldn't get as much ratings and would probably get cancelled after the first season but the biggest loser is now going on to their 14th season, people just like seeing extraordinary things and as long as they have a lot of viewers they're going to keep making it and they're going to make it even more extraordinary to get more people talking and watching.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #20  
the muse of memory

Quote:
A show named the normal loser probably wouldn't get as much ratings and would probably get cancelled after the first season but the biggest loser is now going on to their 14th season, people just like seeing extraordinary things and as long as they have a lot of viewers they're going to keep making it and they're going to make it even more extraordinary to get more people talking and watching.
Heh. That is 100% true. Though III would watch a show called 'normal loser.' I used to watch reruns of Biggest Loser on Halo, where they reran old episodes about families. I didn't mind those, but I have big problems with the 'challenges' that involve 'tempting' foods and so many other aspects of the show. Ah, well.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with the concept that you'll be sore after working out! Of course you will be sore! And you'll be hungry!

This is the whole problem with the obesity situation - we don't want to be sore, we don't want to be hungry. It doesn't work that way!

I read an article about how thin people and how fat people deal with hunger. I'm cutting several pages down to a short paragraph here, but the bottom line was this: Thin people feel hunger, look at a clock and realize mealtime is a short time away and WAIT to eat. Fat people feel hunger, look at a clock and realize mealtime is a short time away but choose to eat something RIGHT NOW because they don't want to feel hungry.

I LOVE it when I feel a bit hungry! It tells me I haven't been mindlessly snacking between meals. It tells me I'm aware of what's going on and am choosing to be in control. And as I used to tell my DD when she was small and whined that she was hungry and didn't want to wait 15 minutes for dinner to be ready - it is IMPOSSIBLE to starve to death between any 2 meals of the day. If we can all just get this in our heads, I think we'd be better off.

I usually don't get preachy in here. I really do realize that we all have to do this on our own terms and in our own way. But I also believe - FIRMLY - that most of us are slackers. Myself included. If we would just face the facts and realize we really can control this with exercise and low calorie eating, we'd make way better progress. But we are human, and we don't want things to be difficult. But being fat is difficult in it's own way. Just trade "difficults" and do it! We falter. We falter for long periods of time, perhaps. But if we just keep on plugging away, we should see results.

The contestants on BL are proof that hard work and healthy eating will pay off. I have never thought they foster the idea that anyone can lose 5 pounds a week. the fact that they use percentages is proof that they are being realistic. Look at the most successful members in 3FC and you'll see that they worked hard at losing and at maintaining. I doubt that any of us have the time to spend 8 hours a day working out. Be we all have the ability to be sore for a workout or to feel a bit hungry. When we do that, we probably will make better progress.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 01-04-2013 at 07:06 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I don't want to be "in your face to anyone here"....but I am gonna out on a limb and AGREE w Lin and Misspixie... I did this to myself-- I was lazy, depressed, complacent, whatever else it was... And I regained 45 pounds.. It was all me.... So now I have to do whatever measures I have to-- to get myself back... IMO when we sugarcoat things it makes it more acceptable. And when we say a child is being abused for being put on a show.. Well that's a little extreme in wording--- the flip side of sugar coating.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

I stopped watching the Biggest Loser years ago. I got so fed up with the extreme way they did things but didn't show you how to eat properly.
I was flipping channels last night and saw they had kids on there I thought to myself OMG what are they going to do to these kids and I immediately turned it. Maybe I judged to fast based on what some of you are saying they are actually going to be doing.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #24  
Slower But Get'n There

S/C/G: 287.6/243.6/199

Height: 5'7"

They were awesome with the children.
JazzyPeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #25  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyPeggy View Post
They were awesome with the children.
I agree. I thought it was great that they integrated them a little bit with the adult teams but that they will mostly be at home - learning to live a healthy lifestyle with their families. Incorporating active fun into their lives, and learning how to eat a nutritious and healthy diet. I also appreciated that they cannot be eliminated - I wish they would do that for everyone. Maybe eliminate someone from the ability to win, but give everyone who makes it onto the show a minimum of 4-6 weeks on campus to really learn what they need to know going forward. I think they do actually give the ones sent home more resources now than they used to but it would be great if they really had a month of that intensity to build on, rather than just a week (even a biggest loser week which was probably more like 2 weeks in real time).
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by energie View Post
Yeah, that entire show is abusive and exploitative. No adult or kid should be on that show.
I agree.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #27  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Just so you know there is a biggest loser forum on here as for the show neing exploitive and abusive. The adults CHOOSE to be on the show. I dont think its exploitive when they know what they are getting in to. We are 14 seasons in, if you dont know what its like by now then you shouldnt be trying to get on the show.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #28  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

I have to agree I was impressed with the way they handled the children last night. I was very concerned when I heard about the kids being on the show but last night eased my mind.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #29  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I love TBL! Always have, I've seen every single episode made.

It's not a HOW TO show, it's a reality show. Just like Survivor, or Top Chef, or whatever. People volunteer to go on, and they have to consider ratings and entertainment value. And they are competing for MONEY.

I think most people who watch it realize they aren't making it seem like people can lose that amount of weight at home. For goodness sake they show their workouts and talk about the hours upon hours they exercise every day. I'm certainly not willing to do that, yet I've lost a good crap ton of weight none the less and still enjoy the show, and did even through out the years I was obese and did nothing about it (because I was unwilling to, wanted to eat how much of whatever I wanted and refused to be active).

And like was mentioned several times above, the children are not participating as the adults are. Sometimes it's best not to judge without all the information.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #30  
the muse of memory

Quote:
I usually don't get preachy in here. I really do realize that we all have to do this on our own terms and in our own way. But I also believe - FIRMLY - that most of us are slackers. Myself included. If we would just face the facts and realize we really can control this with exercise and low calorie eating, we'd make way better progress. But we are human, and we don't want things to be difficult. But being fat is difficult in it's own way. Just trade "difficults" and do it! We falter. We falter for long periods of time, perhaps. But if we just keep on plugging away, we should see results.

The contestants on BL are proof that hard work and healthy eating will pay off. I have never thought they foster the idea that anyone can lose 5 pounds a week. the fact that they use percentages is proof that they are being realistic. Look at the most successful members in 3FC and you'll see that they worked hard at losing and at maintaining. I doubt that any of us have the time to spend 8 hours a day working out. Be we all have the ability to be sore for a workout or to feel a bit hungry. When we do that, we probably will make better progress.
The contestants on the Biggest Loser are NOT working out in a healthy manner. They are working out to the point of physical injury, and engaging in dangerous games whereby they DEHYDRATE THEMSELVES to the point of near-hospitalization in order to game the weigh-ins.

This is NOT good for them, nor is it good for significantly overweight people in general. Kai Hibbard, quoted in an ABC News interview in 2010.

Quote:
"I'd put on a sports bra, a tank top, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt and then my spandex shorts, pants, sweatpants, a baseball cap and just zip it all up," she recalls. "I'd go to the gym, which had no air conditioner, and work out for two hours or as long as I could stand it without drinking water."

"Some people would drink water and just swish it around in their mouth and spit it out," said Hibbard. "But I couldn't do that, I knew I'd want to drink it."

Hibbard said that this was common practice for contestants in the hours leading up to the weigh-in, where whoever lost the least amount of weight that week would be sent home.
That is not hard work. That is disordered behavior. Bad enough when completely healthy and well-conditioned young athletes like wrestlers and boxers engage in it to 'make weight.' Even worse when significantly overweight people engage in it for entertainment under the guise of 'healthy' weight loss.