Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Default My Thanksgiving/ Holdiay Survival Tips!!

Hello all! I have found this site to be so helpful and encouraging! I just wanted to share some information with you all as I have been researching and reading blogs. I am a college student and will not be going home for Thanksgiving, so I don't have to worry about staying on plan, but I wanted to share some helpful tips I've found for surviving Thanksgiving (the holidays in general)!

1. Water!

Drink lots of water this week preparing for the holiday! It helps flush your system and is good for you. If you've been slacking on your water consumption, step it up this week because it will be crucial!

2. Plan your plate

For the most part, there are no surprises when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner. You know what your favorite foods are (and you've probably been dreaming about them all week! lol) so plan your plate! That is - 1 plate! Decide what foods you love and don't get a chance to eat often. If you're a calorie counter, figure out the calories of the meal beforehand and stick to your plan.

On a side note, pick and choose what foods you love and what you can live without. For example, I love mac and cheese, but am not a fan of mashed potatoes and can have them any time of the year. Don't feel the need to eat everything because it's there! Get your favorites! If you don't like rolls or mac and cheese, don't eat them!

Or you can have a small (tablespoon) taste of other foods if you want to taste everything. Focus your plate around veggies if possible and turkey! No seconds! Plan your plate so that you have enough of the foods you like and skip the foods that are ok so there are no needs for a second round.

3. Step up your exercise this week!

If you work out twice a week usually, kick it up this week! Maybe work out 3 or four times. If you're not a big exerciser, take a walk, walk the dog, go dancing, burn calories!

4. Eat light prior to

Thanksgiving morning and possibly lunch, eat light! Maybe a fruit salad for breakfast and a turkey sandwich for lunch! Don't starve yourself, because then you will be more likely to pig out for dinner, but have a healthy satisfying low cal breakfast and lunch so that you will have some room to splurge for dinner

5. It's only one day

This is my last and I think most important tip! Thanksgiving is only ONE day! So if you completely fall off the wagon and go to town it's ok! Tomorrow is a new day! Don't beat yourself up over it, just get back on track. That means - NO LEFTOVERS! You won't gain 10,20, or 30lbs. if you pig out one night for dinner. After all it's a holiday! We've all been working hard and deserve a treat! You can, however, gain weight if you decide to extend Thanksgiving to a 5 day weekend and have leftovers Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday! Avoid this! Have your fill and leave empty handed! If you must take leftovers stick to veggies and turkey. If you are cooking at your house, cut down the amount you cook and make sure everyone takes a plate home so there isn't any left for your snacking!

Good luck all and happy holidays!
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Great! I went and saw my dietician today and she said basically the same thing. It's a good plan. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140

Height: 5'1

Thanks for sharing! Its very helpful!
KYgirlinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Great tips - for Thanksgiving and all the special events that seem to do us in.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

Awesome tips, I'm not a holiday celebrator myself, but these are good tips for every day eating!
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #6  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

good tips i bought myself a boston market tv dinner i was going to eat while the rest of them ate their dinner but now I have decided to just skip it all together.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks you guys!

Sunday115: You're right! I never realized but these tips can be useful for a lot of situations! lol

going2bskinny: That's great! I'm glad these tips helped you like theyve helped me! Enjoy your holiday and let me know how it goes!
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote