Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Well It's Just Got To Stop

Have you ever been in a stall/regain cycle that you just can't seem to get out of, like, FOREVER??? I have so been there this year. It's been a diet nightmare. Two years ago I was down to 175 (from 278), messed around with a ten pound regain for 5 months, then over the course of the next 8 months gained 30 more. And I was TRYING, but apparently not hard enough...

I got down to 199 again this past February but ever since then have struggled and regained. For seven months I have danced around the 215-pound mark. I am so sick of it!! I have calorie counted, carb counted, joined gyms, gone to physical therapy for the pain that keeps me from being as active as I'd like.

Well I cannot live like this anymore. I feel like this week I reached some kind of breaking point. I am in SO much physical pain on a daily... hourly... basis from the plantar fasciitis in my feet which no doubt is aggravated by the extra weight. And I have been sick for 2 weeks with a sinus infection on top of that. I have GOT to get my health back, take control, beat this thing into submission.

Anyway, I have a plan, I have the motivation and focus. I am going to weigh tomorrow, do a two day detox and then go back on Medifast at least long enough to get back below 200 and get my head on straight and formulate a long term plan.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hope you are able to get back on track soon. You can do it!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Lyn!!! (((hugs))))

So happy to see you here, even though I'm really sorry that you are suffering! Regaining does completely and totally suck!!!! I am FINALLY back on track, but it took me several attempts before I really meant it.

For me, I had to completely detox from the stress that made me regain in the first place, then I had to relax a whole lot. Then, I had to wrap my head around the whole thing... and then finally it clicked and I was ready to refocus.

It really didn't matter how hard I tried. When I wasn't ready, I wasn't ready.

Now, I'm sailing along again.

And you will be sailing soon too. I know it's awful to regain, but 215 sound awesome from where I sit at 262.

Glad you're back!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Lyn... I am so sorry to hear of your struggle. I truly understand. It's so frustrating....the constant and forever battle we have with our weight.

Plantar fascitis is very painful. I hope you can see a podiatrist or some doctor that can help. Very often orthotics can make a difference. Water exercises are good too because they are not weightbaring. Sometimes is hard to find that chunk of time to get to the pool.

Hang in there. If you have really been on your plan and still can't lose you might want to get your thyroid checked. Just a thought.

Do the best you can. You CAN do this. Glad you posted.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #5  

Thanks ladies! Ubergirl good to see you again. Hi Beverlyjoy. Boy, we have been at this awhile haven't we?? 2007 for you two and myself, and 2003 for Misti! Longgg time...

I did well today even though I woke up feeling awful and am delaying the detox until I feel better. I started back on Medifast today...

black coffee x2
Medifast hot cocoa
Medifast chocolate shake
Medifast choc chip pancake with sugar free syrup
cup of homemade chicken stock
Medifast peanut butter soft serve shake

dinner is roast beef (which is in the oven and smells terrific... 5 ounces for me) and 1.5 cups of green beans. Dessert will probably be a Medifast brownie.

The first day is the hardest so I am posting and trying to stay accountable!

eta: oh man, I need to change my ticker. I hate to do it, but...

Last edited by Lyn2007; 11-18-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #6  

Lyn, looks like you did change the ticker. It's not so bad once you get used to it!!!

Glad to have you back and the roast beef sounds yummy.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #7  

Yep I changed it. I weighed 222 this morning. I was 219 on Nov 1. See, going the wrong direction. Has to stop! What kind of plan are you doing, calorie counting?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

My favourite tip from my physiotherapist for plantars fascitis is to freeze water bottles and then put them in a sock and roll your feet on them. I haven't had trouble for a couple years. Stretching and then icing made all the difference in the world.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #9  

I did the frozen water bottle for about a month... it helped but didn't heal. I've actually been dealing with it for about 7 months, have seen a podiatrist, been on steroids and NSAIDS, had my feet measured and pressure points taken and fitted with orthotics and new shoes, wear night splints, do all the stretches, and go to physical therapy twice a week for ultrasound, massage, stretching and the Graston method of tissue manipulation... oh and e-stim as well. The amount of pain I am still in is ridiculous! I am pretty desperate for it to stop.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #10  

Lyn, I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. That sounds absolutely AWFUL! I've never suffered from that problem, but foot pain in general is so hard because it affects every single step.

Quote:
What kind of plan are you doing, calorie counting?
Yes, I'm counting calories-- pretty much back to my old plan, except that before starting, I read The Skinny Rules. I was intrigued that so much of what he recommended was exactly what I did to lose the weight the first time around, but there were a few changes, so I decided to adopt those to see if it would shake things up a bit.

1. Shocker: I gave up adding salt and artificial sweeteners (on the grounds that these keep us addicted to hyper-flavored foods.) I like 3 packs of Splenda in my ice tea, and I always add table salt, so that was a bit of a shocker, but I think the effect is good so far. I used his "step-down" rule which is that you can use a teaspoon of sugar once or twice a day. I have had a few cups of tea as a treat, but one tsp of sugar isn't sweet enough to excite me so most days I don't bother. Re salt, I'm surprised at how quick I'm getting used to it.

2. Limit starchy veggies to no more than half a cup a day and never after 2 pm. This was a bit of a change for me. I used to LIVE on baked yams and roasted beets-- more than a half a cup at a time, for sure!

3. Shift more calories to breakfast. I don't naturally feel like eating that much at breakfast. I drink a lot of coffee with milk and that's about it. So that has been interesting-- big breakfast, small dinner.

The plan is terrific, but I still know that I better find a way to work through my food issues or one day I'll get overwhelmed by stress again and snap, like I did last time, and start binging again. Finding out how NOT to do that is going to be the real trick.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #11  

Those are some good rules ubergirl. Taming the palate is part of my plan too... not adding salt or sugar free syrups etc to things, but letting the palate get used to the flavor of more plain, calm foods.

I had a perfect day yesterday and am halfway through a perfect day today, just plugging along...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
Taming the palate is part of my plan too... not adding salt or sugar free syrups etc to things, but letting the palate get used to the flavor of more plain, calm foods.
Seems to be working pretty well for me. I really like salt and always add table salt to food, so I'm surprised how quickly I'm used to doing without it. And of course I REALLY like sugar. I know that I only like carrot sticks when I'm not also eating a bunch of Oreos.

Congrats on the perfect day and a half!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #13  

Ugh I woke up sicker. Last night I felt so awful that I only was able to eat half my dinner. Everything else was on plan. Went to bed early and woke up with the WORST face pain. I am already on augmentin and sudafed. this sucks!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #14  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Lyn! I've loved reading your posts and your blog (I've been around longer than my join date suggests) and you've always been a major inspiration. I know how it feels to be at this for so long, as I've been fighting this round more or less since 2004. I also know what it's like to face a big regain; in my case it came in the form of over 25 pounds last winter, the only major regain I've had in the past 8 years. I was so stressed about RL stuff that I not only gave up on eating better, I munched out on carbs and deep-fried goodies like there was no tomorrow. It really sucked because even when I'm not actively trying to lose weight, I'm at least eating for maintenance. But I'd thrown all that completely out the window.

I know what works for me. The hard part is cracking down and actually making myself do it, which is why I tend to lose 20-40 pounds at a time before taking a maintenance break and eventually working on another set of 20-40 pounds. Loss is slow for me (I'm lucky for one pound a week) but I hit a realization when the 24's that were once too big for me were painfully pinching at my belly. I put my foot down in March and got myself back on track; enough was enough!

I think the fact that you're here and that you keep blogging says a lot about your determination. I wish you luck on this reboot of yours and hope that you can get things turned around soon. You can do it! And you've got us to share and vent with. I'm really sorry about your foot issues and hope that getting a hold of this will help ease the pain you're in.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #15  

Thanks Elladorine! I need all the support I can get right now. Thank you for sharing your story.

I am not going to let this illness throw me off. I absolutely refuse to eat anything not on plan. Which, so far, is not an issue since I have mostly lost my appetite...

I was on this forum under another name (I don't even remember what it was, I mostly just read) for a couple of years before I started blogging. I have a love for this forum and it feels like home. Even though there are very few of the same folks, it has ALWAYS been a supportive place. I am so glad to be here

We are going to do this guys, we will all get there.